News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grand National Brake Job (and now rear gear change)

Started by Aero426, May 19, 2010, 10:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

The current Bendix numbers are 33484 for the left and 33485 on the right.

learical1

Bruce

nitrometal

Doug, two quick questions...

Is that 2nd shock lower mount just another mounting tab welded onto the lower control arm or is that a completely different modified control arm?

The shocks have Zerk grease fittings.  Why? Do they pivot that much at the mounting point?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

The shock mounting bracket welded to the lower control arm has two mounts on it.   

I don't know the answer on the shocks, but I know they are typical on GN cars of the era. 

This car originally started out as a single shock car and was updated to double shocks.   The LCA would have to be changed and an extra bracket was welded behind the upper shock tower. 

Aero426

Phil here are two shots of the air filter out of the cowl.   The screen side is the bottom.

Aero426

Thanks to NotaBird who sourced some appropriate brake lines for the project.   Left side getting wrapped up.

Aero426

Right side wheel cylinder was not leaking, but was not looking good inside.   

Aero426

Ramo was not available to help with the reassembly, so I had to ask the guy in the bottom photo to climb in and help.  

The top photo is from February 1970 at Daytona.    You can see the single shock it had at the time.   The two photos are separated by 40 years, but many details like the cut of the fender and valance panel and stuff inside the fenderwell like the coiled brake line are still the same today.  

Aero426

Brakes are bled and it went back on all four wheels Sunday morning.

The master cylinder is the same casting as the old one, but is a disk unit . Thus, it lacks the drum style psi residual pressure valve the old one had, which is located internally behind the port for the front brake chamber.  I have heard with new wheel cylinders, it is not needed, but to be safe, I have plumbed a Wilwood residual pressure valve inline.   I have saved the original line, and when time permits, I will reinstall and try it.   But time is short with Branson now and Keokuk going on the following weekend.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on June 07, 2010, 01:32:22 PM
Ramo was not available to help with the reassembly, so I had to ask the guy in the bottom photo to climb in and help.  

The top photo is from February 1970 at Daytona.    You can see the single shock it had at the time.   The two photos are separated by 40 years, but many details like the cut of the fender and valance panel and stuff inside the fenderwell like the coiled brake line are still the same today.  

wiley looks like he is doing a great job for you 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

I don't know if I"d trust any work that guy in the bottom photo does Doug. I have seen plenty of shows that would suggest that everything he touches blows up. You didn't use any ACME parts did you?
:cheers:

jonw29

Brads70

VERY cool post THANKS!  I've always wondered what they used for suspension back in the day!  :2thumbs:
I very surprised to see drum brakes. Even though they are massive!
What did they do for the strut rods? Are the adjustable? I have "heard" they used a ball joint at the K-frame to attach the strut rod to?

Aero426

Disk brakes did not start making there way into GN racing until Penske brought them with the Matador in 1972.   

Some Chrysler cars like Ramo's have the ball joint type strut rod, and others have a conventional setup with a rubber bushings and adjustment nut.   It is not yet clear the difference or why they did it this way.   I believe the conventional setup was proven to be optimal.    On the ball joint style, the adjustment is made on the back side.  

Brads70

Brads70

What does the hood spring(?) do on the inner cowl? ( picture on first page?) Looks like a GM hood spring?
Just curious? Boy I'd love to spend a few hour looking over that car! :drool5:  ;D

Aero426

The hood hinges on these cars are fabricated from factory A-body hinges that use the flat steel coil springs.   The end of the A-body hinge that bolts to the hood is cut off short, and a special bracket is welded on so it fits the B-body hood.

Brads70

Quote from: Aero426 on January 25, 2011, 10:57:23 PM
The hood hinges on these cars are fabricated from factory A-body hinges that use the flat steel coil springs.   The end of the A-body hinge that bolts to the hood is cut off short, and a special bracket is welded on so it fits the B-body hood.
Ah, I see thanks!

dangina

Quote from: Aero426 on June 04, 2010, 12:28:50 AM
Here are the front shocks.  First looking from behind, then from the front.    The bracket is part of the lower control arm and also mounts the sway bar link.

out of curiosity - what shocks did they use back in the day-gas or oilfilled? also who made them? thanks for sharing your pics - always wondered how the air cleaner was installed into the firewall and how they filtered it!!!

Aero426

They are just regular old oil shocks.  Monroe or Regal Ride (NAPA) were the two brands of shocks used.    These old shocks are now unobtanium and you have to take them where you can find them.    I understand that you can take the ends from the old shocks and have have them welded onto a new style shock.  

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Aero426 on June 08, 2010, 11:13:12 AM

Unlike the Bobby Allison auction car, I don't see any firewall insualtion nails. Must be a fake.   :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

70Sbird

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 26, 2011, 03:44:28 PM
Unlike the Bobby Allison auction car, I don't see any firewall insualtion nails. Must be a fake.   :lol:

No inner fenders either, Doug who are you trying to fool with a documented car and comparitive 40 year old pictures!!!!
:icon_smile_big: :nana:

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

what's on the "cowl tag" above the starter solenoid?

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on January 27, 2011, 09:57:22 PM
what's on the "cowl tag" above the starter solenoid?

That is the Nichels VIN tag.   It is a simple stamping, P-69.   It is chassis number 69 in the sequence, and the "P" means it started life as a Plymouth.    If the next car built was a Charger, it would be DC-70.   Most of the surviving Nichels cars have lost their tags to the sands of time.  If the build was completed on the outside, (Petty, Owens, etc.) they may not have ever had a tag.   

dirttrackdodge

very interesting photos, what are those spindles from ? they are huge

love them old Mopars