News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grand National Brake Job (and now rear gear change)

Started by Aero426, May 19, 2010, 10:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Im loving the gas cap on oil fill tube.
wingless now, but still around.

C5HM

Doug, That car sits way too low doesn't it (Based on the "Alcazar" authenticated cars that I have seen, natch)?

Aero426

Quote from: C5HM on February 04, 2011, 10:05:30 AM
Doug, That car sits way too low doesn't it (Based on the "Alcazar" authenticated cars that I have seen, natch)?

I know.   I have been struggling to get the Allison style mower deck under it.    Since that isn't working too well, I am currently working on a plow attachment for the snow we have.   I got her stripped down this far on the snow day.  I figger I can weld it to the front rails.   Some studded race tars, and we'll be good to go.  

(photo courtesy of ae8i skunkworks)

learical1

Quote from: Aero426 on February 04, 2011, 12:19:30 PM
I am currently working on a plow attachment for the snow we have.   I got her stripped down this far on the snow day.  I figger I can weld it to the front rails.   Some studded race tars, and we'll be good to go. 

Iffen yer gonna make a snow plow outta it, ya mite consider addin' four wheel drive while it's apart.
Bruce

69_500

Quote from: learical1 on February 04, 2011, 02:10:54 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on February 04, 2011, 12:19:30 PM
I am currently working on a plow attachment for the snow we have.   I got her stripped down this far on the snow day.  I figger I can weld it to the front rails.   Some studded race tars, and we'll be good to go. 

Iffen yer gonna make a snow plow outta it, ya mite consider addin' four wheel drive while it's apart.

And you might want to invest in some tires with some tread on them if your going to do any plowing. Those slicks just won't cut it on an icy day.

nitrometal

Hey Doug, what's with the front end all stripped off?  Did I miss something in a previous post or is that an old photo?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

Quote from: nitrometal on February 16, 2011, 11:24:33 PM
Hey Doug, what's with the front end all stripped off?  Did I miss something in a previous post or is that an old photo?

Hi Phil, it's an old photo from 1999.    Ken was nice enough to send me some pics of the naked car.    He had the engine out for a clutch and detail job.   You can really see how far from stock the chassis is with the sheet metal removed.

Aero426

When I took over care and feeding of old #7 in 2009, I asked Ramo's youngest son Lance to drive the car at Talladega.   Lance and I have talked  few times about how the car isn't all that easy to move around with the gearing that Ramo sold the car with back in 1988.   It's pretty tall when figuring the large tire diameter.    So he mentioned it to his dad, and a couple weeks ago, Ramo called saying he had me all set with a shorter gear set that would solve the problem.   By coincidence, we had planned a visit to Keokuk Iowa with the car as Ramo is the Grand Marshall in the 2011 Labor Day parade.  So, Saturday afternoon my best friend Dave and I took off for southeast Iowa and headed for Ramo's place.  We arrived in Keokuk 3:30 pm, unloaded and got straight to business.

It took some jacking around to get the lift pads to work around the race exhaust.  Ramo is manning the jack.  The car was a tight fit with only about 6" between the nose and front wall.  But it worked.

Ramo is pulling off the axle hubcab and removing the full floating axle shafts.

Pretty axle shaft...

Aero426

By coincidence, Ramo's oldest son Corrie surprised his dad by driving in from Charlotte for a short vacation back home in Keokuk.    Well Ramo surprised Corrie back that the Superbird was coming home and there was a job to do.     Corrie was a trooper and jumped right in.  Corrie has worked in racing all his life from helping on his dads team, then as a driver in the late 70's, eventually working in Cup from 1986 on.  Corrie currently owns the #02 Nationwide team.   Corrie said that they could do a gear change in Cup in 10 minutes.  We'll see how fast we get it done here.

Well it took some (a lot) prodding and prying to get the old 8 3/4 chunk out.  Old RTV was holding it really well.    Corrie got the old heavy pig out and he and Dave cleaned up the housing.  Turns out the gearing in it was a 3.23 open.  Ramo said they ran an open on some tracks because it worked better in certain situations.

It is about 90 degrees out, and Corrie is no longer fresh as a daisy.  New screws are a 4.75 ratio with a ratchet.  Ramo says he won with this gearset on the mile dirt at Springfield Illinois.

Inside of the housing looks nice.

Aero426

New gasket (NOS from 1973)

Corrie and Dave cleaning up the housing.

Corrie hefted the new housing back into place.   While this was going on, Ramo was getting some genuine Union 76 gear lube ready to go.  The blue housing is the old 3.23

Ramo had a little trouble getting the right side axle back into place.   After a little massaging and help it went in.    Ramo's hammer has his signature engraved into it, just like his autograph.

Aero426

Voila!    Thanks Corrie (and Dave).   Corrie said it turned out to be the two hour and thirty seven minute gear change.

The lift is coming down.

Ramo's profession before going racing full time in 1955 was as a welder.   His initials are stick welded into this C-clamp.  

Aero426

Well the car is back on the ground and it's time for some photos.  I can't thank Ramo enough for helping me out.

Ramo was recently inducted into the National Dirt Track Late Model Hall of Fame in Florence Kentucky.  This is the plaque they sent him.  His #3 1972 Road Runner in the fourth car down on the plaque.

Aero426

Ramo, his wife Judy (married 56 years) and Corrie with the Bird.   Super Cool.

Corrie, me, Ramo and Dave.

Sunday, there was a car show at the Grape Festival in Nauvoo Illinois.  I'll post some of those pics and the Monday parade as soon as I can get them uploaded.

tan top

:coolgleamA:  good way to spend to spend sunday afternoon  :yesnod:  good lot of pictures & write up !! great stuff , thanks for sharing  :cheers: :cheers:
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CornDogsCharger

Hey Doug... great topic.  Don't know why I missed it until now.  How cool is it to have the original driver of your car wrenching on it over 40 years later?!  I am posting this in response to and earlier post about the car not selling.  I found thin in the Sept 1996 issue of Mopar Collectors Guide.  According to the article, the auction was May 1996.  I didn't know if you had this article but I'll post it anyways.  Hope you have a great time at the parade!!

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

Mopurr

I just love Ramo in his crocs. :icon_smile_cool:

Have a great weekend!!!

Aero426

Justin, thanks for posting the MCG article.  I don't think I have seen it before.   The car was attempted to be sold at auction at both Mecum and Barrett-Jackson in 1996-97, did not sell.    I will have to look for that issue to get a hard copy.    Yes, it was totally cool to have Ramo and Corrie working on the car.   I'll check that one off the bucket list.

Aero426

This is the building where Ramo stored the Superbird after the 1972 race season until 1988 when he sold it. His youngest son Lance told me his mom used to yell at for him riding his bike in the building next to the Superbird. Quite a few people remember the car sitting there on stands for years. Maybe someday a photo will surface of it sitting in there.   

This building was constructed about 1970, when as Ramo said, "I felt like I was really getting to run good."   There never was any race prep done here. Part of the building was finished and they used to hold square dances and parties. This building and the property it sits on is no longer owned by Ramo and it is now used as a horse barn. Ramo's race shop was in downtown Keokuk and that building no longer exists.

Aero426

Cuttin a rug, by a place called the jug.......... well not really.   Ramo does like to dance though.     We had to get the car finished by 6 pm.  Ramo and Judy had reservations at the Keokuk Yacht Club on the Mississippi and took us to dinner.    It was their end of summer blow out and the band was pretty good too.

Aero426

Saturday was the car show at the Grape Festival in Nauvoo Illinois.     The Keokuk Racers Reunion Committee had a nice spot for us, and also Don White's 1961 Starliner Daytona beach car.

Ramo came by about 10 am and signed a lot of autographs for fans young and old.

Aero426

The owner of this trophy who was not present himself, sent it to the show to be displayed with the Superbird for the day.   Ramo won an ARCA race at Talladega in April of 1970 in the Superbird.    This is the actual trophy he was holding in the victory lane photo.   Ramo had a couple of auctions and sales in the 80's and 90's as he got out of the racing business.   Quite a few of his trophies are out there in different collections. 

hemi68charger

Yo Doug..
Man, that is some cool stuff........... That trophy's cool.. Reminds me of the "Piston Cup" trophies in the movie "Cars"..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection