News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally got a 68

Started by 73rallye440magnum, January 02, 2021, 11:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 04, 2021, 03:10:43 PM
Quote from: Bronzedodge on January 03, 2021, 02:15:00 PM
I'll bet that color combo looks sharp redone.  Nice car!  Congratulations!

I don't think you even need to repaint it.  Go with the latest trend and keep the patina!  Looks really solid!  Congrats!

Quote from: tan top on January 02, 2021, 06:22:12 PM
like the sunset picture  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

Yeah that's an awesome pic.  Perfect for a signature or avatar.

I embrace the patina trend because I don't feel like dealing with nice paint. I have kids, and I live on gravel. Less anxiety in flogging! I have some touch up to do. It will be presentable, after it's drivable  :2thumbs:
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: Chris 69 on January 04, 2021, 03:35:57 PM
Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on January 02, 2021, 11:41:12 AM
A familiar story, I've had a few Mopars over the years. Marriage, family, jobs, relocation, life, etc. I've wanted a '68 since I was 15. I contacted the seller of this one in April when he responded on some random 'what's for sale thread' on a Facebook Mopar page I'm a member of. I still had my Coronet convertible I was trying to sell. In September I traded the vert for my Roadrunner clone, sold that in November, and drove to Central Oklahoma the weekend of 12/18 to buy this Charger.

383-4 Auto car. Tinted glass, console, AC. White body, green top, green interior. Funky combo. Has been off the road since 1979 when the then owner had a few too many and ditch dove through a barbwire fence, also spun a bearing in original drivetrain. I'm told the original drivetrain whereabouts are known- I'll hustle that in the future.

After gathering my thoughts after a two day, 22 hour round trip, I spent a few afternoons getting the first few layers of disgusting out of it. Exterior speed bath, and the eviction of the mouse palace that was the interior. It is going to sit for a while as I round up parts and finish some other obligations. Tentative forecast is to drop in a drivetrain this summer/fall, rebuild brakes, fuel system, touch up the whoops on the rear quarter, begin enjoying.

Pics to come, trying Imgur per recommendation of Kelsey. We had to dang near cross paths when he grabbed his eerily similar patina white '69 the same weekend.

Nice solid Charger!. Very similar to what my '68 was prior to "improvements": 383-4, auto on the column, white, originally green vinyl top, green interior.

You mean to tell me a green interior can be improved?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

RallyeMike

QuoteI embrace the patina trend because I don't feel like dealing with nice paint. I have kids, and I live on gravel. Less anxiety in flogging! I have some touch up to do. It will be presentable, after it's drivable  2thumbs

What a great score! You are so far ahead to start out with a solid car. Rust = :naughty:
White with green interior is definitely a low # color combo. It's the first I can recall seeing. You should keep it that way!
Of course my opinion is always to preserve a car rather than restore it as long as it is not too far gone.

:icon_smile_cool:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chris 69

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on January 04, 2021, 11:37:17 PM
You mean to tell me a green interior can be improved?

I still have the green interior, it's still ugly, but it goes well with the torn seat covers and cracked dash.  :lol:

The 383 to 440 and auto to 4-speed improvements more than make up for it though. One of the previous owners removed the green vinyl top, which in my opinion looks much better.

Chris 69

I see in your signature you are looking for 4-speed parts. If you are planning to do the swap in your '68, AKcharger's thread on his '70 is very useful. I used the thread as a guide for the swap on my '68.

AK's thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html

As another reference, I also documented most of the 4-speed swap on my '68 in another thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109743.0.html