News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Started by CDN72SE, May 26, 2010, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Well I knew it would be 50/50 on whether I would break the glass or not.

Bought a tool for the removal and used some aircraft wire but I got impatient and managed to crack it, it really doesn't take much at all to break the glass.

Not too upset the windshield wasn't in the greatest shape.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Front Brakes & Components
Started to take apart the front brakes, I will clean up the calipers, maybe I'll rebuild them.

Stripped down the dust shields and paint them black as I do see that they had black paint on them.

I bought new brake positioners and I have a pair of NOS hub grease caps.

Further taken apart:

Did a little painting:

More to come...

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Valances
That's the original '72 valance on the left and the one on the right is a '73 piece that I picked up NOS back in '92, I painted it in primer black and installed it on the car. It's still in excellent shape, but I'll be using the '72 (as everyone probably already knows they are different). The rear valance I had to buy, thought I'd better buy one just in case they decide to stop producing them  :shruggy:.

Here is some evidence of where it was painted with some kind of black paint, even have the running paint to prove it. I often see a lot of these left body colour, maybe some are?

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Crossmember
You can see how much undercoating I have on the bottom of this car, I plan on removing it.

I guess some options are to just apply more undercoating over what's already there, leave it and patch or... what others have done use Lizardskin and re-cover the bottom.

I have noticed in some spots where I have removed undercoating there is surface rust there so that leads me to believe that no everything is not going to be perfect underneath.

I had the car rustproofed over the years (Rustcheck Shout out to Kelly at Dundas & Wolfedale Rd. location in Mississauga) so I think that helped a lot and helped me dismantle the car with the basic tools I've always owned. I don't think I have ever broken a bolt.

The crossmember I'll de-grease and paint with Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black.

I bought a set of NOS crossmember bolts, they were cheap, mine were ok but all four were not the same.

Does it make a difference? No, but hey they were NOS and now I can say I have some NOS parts.  :coolgleamA:
1972 Charger SE

Dodgecharger74

74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

CDN72SE

Ramcharger Setup
Well here's some of my Ramcharger parts, looks like I am missing one end cap or flapper or whatever you call it.

Think I will be ordering one from PG Classics. I've bought many parts from them and the delivery is quick and the packaging is very good and oh yes the parts are nice as well.  :2thumbs:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: Dodgecharger74 on May 28, 2010, 01:46:41 PM
looking good

Thanks Dodgecharger74 your Rallye is looking nice.
1972 Charger SE

moparstuart

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 28, 2010, 01:57:24 PM
Ramcharger Setup
Well here's some of my Ramcharger parts, looks like I am missing one end cap or flapper or whatever you call it. Think I will be ordering one from PG Classics. I've bought many parts from them and the delivery is quick and the packaging is very good and oh yes the parts are nice as well.  :2thumbs:

Anyone know where I can get these screws that my arrows are pointing to. I'd like to use some originals if possible.

alot of those part are also avalible from allen at wilson
 he is an expert on air grabbers and has all the stuff    

http://www.n96airgrabber.com/
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CDN72SE

Thanks moparstuart, that was one of the places I looked at, maybe I should contact him, he may just not have them listed on the site. I'll let you know what I find out.
1972 Charger SE

moparstuart

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 28, 2010, 02:38:46 PM
Thanks moparstuart, that was one of the places I looked at, maybe I should contact him, he may just not have them listed on the site. I'll let you know what I find out.

no problem I have a couple of air grabber cars  both 70 plymouths

CDN72SE

Ah yes, I am familiar with your awesome cars!  :cheers:
1972 Charger SE

moparstuart

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 28, 2010, 03:09:26 PM
Ah yes, I am familiar with your awesome cars!  :cheers:
i would not go so far as saying that but thanks 

Foreman72

CDN72SE this is a very well done thread...  :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

CDN72SE

Undercoating & Removal

Well, on sunday I got my propane torch and putty knife and decided to start removing the undercoating, I am planning on replacing it at some point.

The bottom of the car is starting off very easily, I think mainly because I used to get the car rustproofed so it's kind of supple.

I haven't come across any rust yet, I know there is a little bit of surface rust where the gas tank resides, there was no undercoating there as the undercoating was applied after all the components were already on the car.

Needed the torch on the stuff in the wheel wells and the front wheel well area.

I almost regret removing it but I didn't want to take a chance of their being rust present.

Here are some before pictures showing how much coverage the car has.

Gas tank area with a little surface rust:

You can see the little patch that is missing and how clean it is underneath:

Here are some progress pics, nothing too exciting:

The whole floorpan basically looks like this, I was trying not to scratch it too much with the putty knife.

1972 Charger SE

69*F5*SE

What are your plans for those areas after scraping the undercoating off?

CDN72SE

Hi 69*F5*SE, I'm thinking of cleaning it up, scuffing it and maybe spraying some of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and/or some Extreme Chassis Black and then using some Lizardskin as undercoating as I've read others on the board doing. I'm not sure if that's too much overkill or not as I will only drive it in nice weather. It has survived all these years as is so.... I'm not getting the undercarriage painted so I figure I'll go this route. After all it is only a 72 SE  ;).
1972 Charger SE

stuga

I did a lot of my parts in the eastwood chassis black on the charger, Purchased a gallion and a cheap $30 HVLP spray gun from them it worked great.
I did the under carrage of  my ram pickup with their gator back bedliner kit and sprayed the inside frame rails with the sealing wax oil they also sell, but didn't do it to the charger. Great job your doing :2thumbs:

69*F5*SE

If you would like to kill as much rust as possible before applying the other coatings there's a product called Picklex 20 that you can apply that will convert the rust into a non-living animal.  It's a little expensive but, it works.  It can be applied using a spray bottle or a natural bristle paint brush (I used both). A scotch brite pad can be used to work it into the heavier rusted areas.  It will also remove light surface rust when using a scotch brite pad.  It's an extra measure of prep in knowing the rust will not pose future problems.  It also will keep bare metal from rusting for a long time if kept dry and inside.  Just thought I would throw this out at yiu if you have the interest.  Good luck   :2thumbs:

CDN72SE

Definitely have the interest, thanks. Looks like a great product and they ship to Canada as well, that's always a bonus. I appreciate the suggestions, do I use the green scotch brite pad?
1972 Charger SE

69*F5*SE

I don't know if the regular household green scotch brite will hold up or not.  I used red scuffy pad from autodody supply near by.  If you decide to purchase Picklex 20 let me know and I can walk you through its characteristics before using it.  I'm not telling you to buy it but if you think it might be something you would use and may have a need for during your resto, I have used it several times and it has helped me out.  But, I will add that you can only apply epoxy primer over it "NO ETCHING PRIMER".  It already has an acidic effect with the metal.   :2thumbs:  Ted

CDN72SE

Thanks Ted, I ordered some of the red pads, they seem to be hard to find around my neck of the woods. I'll keep in mind what you said about Picklex 20.  :2thumbs: Alan.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Not a heck of a lot going on right now just scraping off undercoating and stripping the shell, starting to concentrate on the interior as well.

1972 Charger SE

Axels73Charger

Looks like some good progress. You sure got your hands full alittle huh? :2thumbs:
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

CDN72SE

Quote from: Axels73Charger on August 23, 2010, 02:02:15 PM
Looks like some good progress. You sure got your hands full alittle huh? :2thumbs:

Hey there Axels73Charger, thanks for the encouragement, yes it's quite a bit of work. I'm taking a few days off in september to try and get it done once and for all. I actually only spend about four hours a week on it. A lot less than I would like but with family life and all it doesn't leave me much time.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Rear Axle & Differential

Thought I'd do a little cleaning of the axle, what a lot of caked on grease.

I may replicate some of the paint daubs and markings not sure yet.

Main goal is to strip it down, prime it and coat it with some of Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black.

With the differential I think I'll hit it with some Detail Gray.

Differential:

Started to do some detail of the rear.

Took care of the pinion snubber. De-greased it, soaked it in some Evaporust, primed it and then painted it.

1972 Charger SE