News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing paint from glovebox and ac vinyl pad

Started by charger70john, May 26, 2010, 08:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger70john

i've got a set of blue pads i'm trying to get the black paint/dye off of,
what is the safest way to remove the paint that won't damage the part?
i thought thinner might work but wanted to ask?
thanks and god bless

ChargerST

DON'T use thinner! It will melt the plastic. Some people use Easy-Off oven cleaner (yellow can) - put it in plastic bag overnight and the paint should come off the next morning. Others use brake fluid.

Brock Lee

Thinner will work on the soft pads. But after a while it will soften the vinyl and smooth the grain. It is safe so long as you stop once the paint is off. Yes, plastic will melt. Not sure of you are talking real pads, or the later plastic style.

ChargerST

I was thinking 70 style which is plastic and not padded vinyl.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger70john

The black was put on so thick that the grain detail was gone in places.
I used acetone sparingly and that took it off without any damage.
Would that work for the a-trim pieces, too, or would it damage hard plastic?
Thanks for all of your help.

69DodgeCharger

I have had pretty good luck getting paint off from tail light lenses using a good cleaner type car wax. It may or may not work in this case. If you try it you should use a stiff vegetable brush and scrub the pads with the wet car wax. The bristles should work enough of the paint out of the grain to re dye them blue. Although I don't know for sure as I've never tried this method on the hard plastic interior parts.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.