News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger R/T convertible

Started by 69bronzeT5, June 06, 2010, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I saw this today at a show down in Everett Washington. Still a project with no interior. Not sure if it was a real R/T or not...

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

resq302

As much as I love convertibles, it just doesn't look right on a charger.  Maybe is the roof line for me that makes the car along with the other body lines but I just can't see it looking better as a convert.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

That's Darrens car...I don't know if it's a real R/T or not either....Bob would know

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

resq302

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:47:14 PM
VERY RARE Recall Wheels  :2thumbs:

Im guessing they are not originals but the repros that are now out there.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM

How sad, everything can be faked now...  :flame:

jaak

Call me crazy...I sorta like it. Would like to see pics with the top up, though. The only thing I sorta don't like is the Charger script on the fenders....but I guess ya gotta put 'em somewhere with the roof gone  :scratchchin:

Jason

Nacho-RT74

Nice job on it but

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:35:15 PM
As much as I love convertibles, it just doesn't look right on a charger.  Maybe is the roof line for me that makes the car along with the other body lines but I just can't see it looking better as a convert.
:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

HANDM

I saw it today as well, with the top up as I was late and it was raining by the time I got there. I gotta say it was not much improved with it up.
If it is the same car I have been seeing a the roundup over the last 18 years or so, it has REALLY come a long way.

Did you see the white race daytona hooked up to the trailer?? Might have been in the show and since I was so late, the owner had it hooked up and was loading it up. My son had to tell him "your not supposed to use a race Daytona for towing" after which he replied "like I tell everybody, we've restored them once, so we can do it again" priceless, I say, priceless!

I took a couple of crappy CP pics of the Daytona hooked up if any one wants to see em :2thumbs:

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Yup, same here. :P An answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked. Doesn't even look like a Charger without the roof.

MoparManJim

I think the reason why some of us say this kinda don't look right is because we haven't seen very many of them around. We are use to seeing the roofs 99.9% of the time  :lol: 

That car is kinda growing on me when I look at the photos. Now only if they could make a tunnel roof soft top to put on that car.. now that might top it off with the looks  :2thumbs: :shruggy: :scratchchin: :yesnod:

DonC1

Gives me an idea...one could take a hardtop beater 68-9 coronet/satellite, cut off all the panels and bolt/weld on new charger panels...instant charger without the high buy in charger price tag...or not. This car possibly started off as a satellite rag or they stripped one for parts.

MoparManJim

Quote from: DonC1 on June 07, 2010, 01:42:23 AM
Gives me an idea...one could take a hardtop beater 68-9 coronet/satellite, cut off all the panels and bolt/weld on new charger panels...instant charger without the high buy in charger price tag...or not. This car possibly started off as a satellite rag or they stripped one for parts.

Sense you mention it, I went back and had another look at the photo showing the pass side rear interior spot. Look at the rib formation there, and then look at a charger rib formation.. I do belive they are different.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: HANDM on June 06, 2010, 11:37:02 PM

If it is the same car I have been seeing a the roundup over the last 18 years or so, it has REALLY come a long way.

Different car.  I think Bob used to own the one you're talking about, green correct?

8WHEELER

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 07, 2010, 01:51:23 AM
Quote from: HANDM on June 06, 2010, 11:37:02 PM

Different car.  I think Bob used to own the one you're talking about, green correct?

Well yes and no, actually they were both green cars, Bobs was a 68 ''from Richard Sias'' and Darren's is a 69.

Both were at several Seattle mopar meets, Bobs car never had an engine in it, after it was made into a vert.

Darren's is a numbers matching 69 RT ''440'' Charger, and now red, but the engine is not back in yet.
Two of these before pictures of Darren's car have been posted here before just as he was picking it up.
The other is of it at our show in Seattle in 2001.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BrianShaughnessy

Generally that's how these one-off ragtops start off life,  as a coronet / satellite ragtop - or at least they take a lot of sheetmetal and other parts from a donor.  Seen a few around.   What VIN tag they end up with is up to the builder. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 07, 2010, 06:13:28 AM

Generally that's how these one-off ragtops start off life,  as a coronet / satellite ragtop - or at least they take a lot of sheetmetal and other parts from a donor.  Seen a few around.   What VIN tag they end up with is up to the builder. 

yeah thats what i'm thinking this  charger is  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originals had trim rings....and probably cost more than that poor Charger :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Old Moparz

I love it!  :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48966.0.html

And I'm still seriously considering converting my '68 Coronet one day.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Magnumcharger

Absolutely lovely!!!

I mean it!! FANTASTIC!!!

Now the nit picking part.....that standard B-body A pillar post. I hate that!!!
What it needs (IMHO) is the windshield and A posts of the hardtop, which is considerably different from the fourdoor/convertible windshield surrounds.
There is at least 2-3 inches less vertical height in a hardtop A pillar.

Since actions speak louder than words, and a picture is worth a thousand words...I humbly submit the evidence....

Original and modified A frames - check it out. Looks a whole lot betterer.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Daytona R/T SE

I've wanted to build a Charger convertible for Decades.  :coolgleamA:

I've just never been able to lay my hands on a 68-70 B-body convertible that either wasn't a total rust bucket, or big $$$$ and too nice to cut up... :brickwall:

...Now, with all of the AMD sheet metal that is available AND my extensive stash of second generation charger parts, I wouldn't even NEED a charger donor car to start with, just the B-body convertible, the credit card, and my junk pile... :scratchchin:

Anybody got a Coronet rag top they want to unload?  :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

:rotz:  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why. I don't like the straight up look of the windshield post/frame/glass on a conv Charger.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Highbanked Hauler

rotz  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why.

Chevy didn't do a convertible  on the Monty Carlo either did they?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

noff57

472 R/T SE

Other B body choices out there.  I hate the fact the rear window area is all completely lost.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 07, 2010, 08:11:36 PM
:rotz:  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why. I don't like the straight up look of the windshield post/frame/glass on a conv Charger.

I agree...which is why I changed the post angle in the second picture...above.

stripedelete

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 06, 2010, 11:13:18 PM
Nice job on it but

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:35:15 PM

X3.  I'm sure Chrysler mocked one up back-in-the-day and saw the same thing.

Skyview69

I want to see it with the top up and then make a decision.  :scratchchin: 

Magnumcharger

ChargerĀ“69

No no and no, 2nd gen Charger and convertible  :slap: I donĀ“t like, it doesnĀ“t look like a muscle car anymore  :shruggy:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

375instroke

The 4-door to hardtop windshield difference is obvious, but I never noticed it on convertibles.  If I was to do this, the top would have sail fins.  I've seen them on Fiero convertibles.  I understand that the top is the same as '67 and earlier convertible tops.  So is the windshield the same as a 4-door, or is it unique to itself?  All these convertible Chargers looked messed up.  They all cut corners, grafting Charger panels onto a convertible body, and calling it done.  People look down to installing a '68 grill on a '69, for instance, but a Coronet roof on a Charger is fine?  I don't think so.  The convertible rear window looks similar in size to a Charger window, so that could stay.  I'd at least extend the roof back in the corners and use cables to maintain the shape.  There are cables in there already, so it's not like it's a big re-engineering effort.  Lowering the windshield would be the big challenge.  Since the top is the same as earlier models, I think it looks that way because of cost saving measures, not because of some engineering necessity.  In the end, though, with the top down, it still looks funny, so I guess I'd have to leave the top up all the time.  What would be the point, then?  Just to show off?  The other B-bodies look OK with the tops down, but they look funny with it up, too.  E-bodies look fine with the top up, or down, and maybe that's because they were designed for that body.  Well, I hope someone that decides to do another one of these does it the right way.  I'd really be impressed.  Now, what to do about the rear upper door pads?

Skyview69

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 08, 2010, 09:39:38 AM
Quote from: Skyview69 on June 08, 2010, 09:19:32 AM
I want to see it with the top up and then make a decision.  :scratchchin:  

Lookie here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodgedeora/sets/72157607518259173/

Hmmm...I'd have to say it is not for me however it is a Charger and it does look good either way

Vainglory, Esq.

For me the biggest question has always been whether there are sailpanel-esque parts of the top that allow it to flow into the quarters.  If not, it doesn't look like a Charger.

That shouldn't be a total deterrent though, since I'm sure they could be made with enough skill and time.  After all, if you look at the BMW 6-series convertible, you see that it can be done.  Admittedly not the best example, but at least clear proof that a convertible roof does not have to destroy the flow of the bodylines.

MoparManJim

You know, after looking at the photos and reading what all you said. I got thinking, I like building models all the time and doing different things to them and adding much detail as I can when I can.. I got thinking (yea I know that is scary  :lol: ) maybe later on down in the summer. I think I will get a revell charger kit and do a model charger convertible with a working correct roof on it  :scratchchin: . I wonder if I could pull that one now that I think about it  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

375instroke

Here's a Fiero as a Ferrari convertible clone with sail fins.

chargd72

How do you know if they're real or not?  There is a pair for sale on craigslist by me.

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:50:09 PM

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

bakerhillpins

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:50:09 PM

Are these original recall wheels? Pic swiped from ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUILT-383-MAGNUM-TCI-Tranny-MSD-CAM-Lots-O-Xtras-/230485016697?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35a9fa4079

Not a big fan of loosing the sail panels with a rag top..  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 07, 2010, 05:04:22 PM
I've wanted to build a Charger convertible for Decades.  :coolgleamA:

I've just never been able to lay my hands on a 68-70 B-body convertible that either wasn't a total rust bucket, or big $$$$ and too nice to cut up... :brickwall:

...Now, with all of the AMD sheet metal that is available AND my extensive stash of second generation charger parts, I wouldn't even NEED a charger donor car to start with, just the B-body convertible, the credit card, and my junk pile... :scratchchin:

Anybody got a Coronet rag top they want to unload?  :scratchchin:

You can apparently get all the tin from these guys:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48966.0.html

The post is old so I wonder if they are still selling as I don't see a lot of Charger verts... Which is fine with me.  :yesnod:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

375instroke

Did you get the right picture?  The original recall wheels weren't chrome.  They had trim rings.  I've seen two different centers and two different trim rings used.

chargd72

These are the ones I was talking about.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

resq302

The appear to be the alluminum slotted rims. 
Brian

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 375instroke on June 09, 2010, 10:45:55 AM
Did you get the right picture?  The original recall wheels weren't chrome.  They had trim rings.  I've seen two different centers and two different trim rings used.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting they were recall wheels, just wondering if they were. I take it by your response that they are not which answers the question.  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

A383Wing

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 09, 2010, 09:56:06 AM

The '68 Charger 'vert that Bob had was designed to have the tunnel back sailpanel design. Top was a "scissor" style like the mid '70s GM cars had. You would have to ask him for more details about it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2010, 08:41:07 PM

The '68 Charger 'vert that Bob had was designed to have the tunnel back sailpanel design. Top was a "scissor" style like the mid '70s GM cars had. You would have to ask him for more details about it.

Ok, so more like folks were suggesting with the BMW and Ferrari. I guess I could hold off judgment until I see a top like that but top down just doesn't do it for me at all.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Old Moparz

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 10, 2010, 07:42:30 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2010, 08:41:07 PM

Ok, so more like folks were suggesting with the BMW and Ferrari. I guess I could hold off judgment until I see a top like that but top down just doesn't do it for me at all.

I've only seen one Charger convertible where the person building it was trying to keep the roof line of a hardtop Charger. It was from the northwest & had supposedly been owned by a Chrysler engineer, then sold before it was ever finished. I am pretty sure a member on this site bought it & still owns it.
               Bob                

Khyron

Quote from: chargd72 on June 09, 2010, 10:47:50 AM
These are the ones I was talking about.

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Magnumcharger

I've only seen one Charger convertible where the person building it was trying to keep the roof line of a hardtop Charger. It was from the northwest & had supposedly been owned by a Chrysler engineer, then sold before it was ever finished. I am pretty sure a member on this site bought it & still owns it.

That Chrysler engineer was Richard Sias, and this is the car you're referring to.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 10, 2010, 10:48:18 AM

That Chrysler engineer was Richard Sias, and this is the car you're referring to.

Yeah, that's the same car, just different photos. It was for sale on the internet for a couple of years & then one day it finally sold. I have yet to see a pic with the top in the up position. It may be why the project was never completed.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

8WHEELER

That 68 was in my garage for three years, after Bob bought it from Richard Sias, and the top was never put up.

It had the power motors installed and everything, but there was no other electrical to put the top up.

Dan

Magnumcharger

A bit of information passed along from another Charger buddy...a fellow who actually has another Charger convertible:
Hey Robin, I read the thread about the Charger convertibles on DC.com
I just figured I'd let you know that I was in the garage today, putting an exhaust system on the Charger'vert. I grabbed a tape measure and I measured the windshield height on the 'vert at both the actual windshield glass and the vent window height, and compared them to the same measurements on the 1970 V code Charger R/T that I just got from Troy.
There is only 1 inch difference between the convertible windshield height and vent window height, over the standard Charger windshield height, and vent window height.
The Charger windshield height is 21 inches, and the vent window height is 13 7/8 vs 22 inches on the windsheild height on the 'vert, and 14 7/8 on the vert vent windows. To use the standard Charger windshield height wouldn't be worth the aggrivation, because of all the glass no longer fitting the car properly.
If you lower the top 1 inch in the front, then you would have to lower the top an inch in the rear to keep the roof straight, this would cause the glass to no longer roll up all the way up. The only way to fix that would be to have all four windows cut 1 inch with that little notch on the door glass to recieve the vent windows. The windsheild of the standard Charger also has way more curvature at the top where the convertible windshield is straighter at the top by 3/4 of an inch.
This means that in the middle of the windshield where the top frame meets the windsheild the standard Charger windshield frame sticks out 3/4 of an inch beyond the convertible windshield in the middle of the windshield. The top frame would have to have to have the front of the frame reconfigured to fit the standard Charger windshield frame. I don't think it would be worth all the labor involved to do this for a gain of only 1 inch. I had looked into all this when I originally did the Chargervert.
Pete

8WHEELER

Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan

375instroke

I don't see what the big deal with the glass is.  People have been chopping '49 Mercs, and everything else, for decades, and have been able to deal with the glass.  The roof has to look right, whatever the cost or effort, or it's all wasted effort.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 17, 2010, 10:54:32 PM
Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan

I think it looks a lot like a Coronet with the roof up.

resq302

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 06:00:55 AM

Dan

Brian

69*F5*SE

Quote from: resq302 on June 18, 2010, 06:27:49 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 06:00:55 AM

Dan

At first glance I thought it was a Coronet also.  It looks better with the top up to me. 

Old Moparz

Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  ;)
               Bob                

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 18, 2010, 08:55:57 AM
Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  ;)   
great info i need good vent window frames for my convert they are all pitted
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
  these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod:

resq302

Quote from: moparstuart on June 18, 2010, 09:45:44 AM
  I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
   these look great

I agree.
Brian

69*F5*SE

Yeah, that kind of works for me too. It needs to have a wing or it looks kind of weird.  That's obviously a Woodward Dream Cruise pic.  I'd recognize that WRIF 101 billboard anywhere.

Magnumcharger

these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Yes...but look close...NO VENT WINDOWS!

MoparManJim

Do I spot a yellow Challenger in the back ground?  :scratchchin:

1970Moparmann

That looks great! 

Is the picture at the Woodward Dream Cruise?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 07:11:48 PM

interesting  :popcrn: :popcrn:

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on June 19, 2010, 07:21:22 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 07:11:48 PM

interesting  :popcrn: :popcrn:

You have to wonder if they were removed to be redone, or if it was a hardtop car with the roof removed?   :shruggy:
               Bob                

mauve66

chopping the tops on older 30-50 cars was a little easier cause alot of them had straight flat glass in the doors and rear sides, no curve in the glass as it went up, notice i said alot and not all
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Brock Samson

wingcar

I think Magnumcharger hit the nail on the head....it's the A pillar that looks out of place. 
To my eye they appear to tall and upright giving it a larger look than they should have.
Of course it all a matter of personal tastes, and I wouldn't turn down the keys if handed to me....
And, many are correct in that one of the styling features that makes the Charger such a stand out is the roof line.

All that said, it's still a beauiful car....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

The "double diamond" sides don't lend themselves well to it either.  Only my opinion of course, but it gives the car a bent look without the roof.  :shruggy:  Excellent caraftsmanship (sic) though.

Old Moparz

An old thread but still a good one.   :icon_smile_big:

That company from down south, "Mars Mopars" that was at Carlisle with the Charger convertible on display, seems to have vanished a couple of years ago.   :shruggy:

They had an ad in the services forum here for a long time & a website but neither are around now. If the timing had been better for me I was going to trailer my '68 Coronet to them for the conversion but Murphy's Law had struck again.  ::)

As for the Charger convertible looking weird with the top up, who cares? I mean the whole purpose of a ragtop is to put the top down & go for a cruise. Hardly anyone takes an old classic out in crappy weather so the top is almost irrelevant.

Here is the link with the photos I took..... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=46405.0;
               Bob                

Back N Black

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 31, 2015, 07:34:10 PM
Any updates on the Converts?..

Welcome back! do you still have the charger?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Back N Black on September 01, 2015, 10:56:40 AM

Yeah, no kiddin'.  There's a moldy oldy.

Brock, I seen this Charger on ebay year or 2 back & thought of you.  I remember you wanting to see what this would look like on a car IIRC?

tan top

Hey Brock !  good too see ya     :wave:     :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:   

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Samson

Thanks!  :wave:
 Still got the Charger, but there been huge changes in my life since we got married june of '14,..  :yesnod:
Meanwhile, The R/T has been languishing in the garage.
 We've done a home remodel that incl. removing a 60' Yucca tree that broke the sewer pipe, inside plumbing, a new electrical service and a host of Misc. issues to combine our to households into one..  :pullinghair: (read "Two tones of shit in a one Lb. bag.)
 I'm just driving the Jeep Grand exclusively and it's been a perfect Swiss army knife of a ride, does everything well, (but sip gas). MPG's still twice as good as the R/T though.
 One action the charger has seen, has been as a literal parade float in the annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade, i posted a couple pics from the first yr. here I think.
 Who ever painted that '70 up there really screwed that up... SMH.. thanks for the tip,
they sure followed the photoshop pics made for me to the letter,.. too bad.
  Hey! Where the "Like" button?!  :scratchchin:
Hope all is well with all of you!  :2thumbs:

Lord Warlock

I still like it, when I first got my charger in the 70s my previous car had been a v8 mustang vert, and I always wanted to get a 2nd charger to lop the top off and try it out, took longer than I expected and eventually gave up on convertibles and moved on.  (as most do) I like the lines of the charger better than the coronet, and it looks good as a convertible, it does look like a coronet with the top up a little, bet it depends on the angle though.  Back in those days, cruising with 3 or more friends along was preferred, now parking tends to be the trend now.  4 door verts were popular at one time, now 2 seaters tend to be more popular.  The charger was a happy medium, looked like a 4 door, but only had 2 doors, and the vert top looks like it was made for it, even if it doesn't carry the shape as the hardtop. 

Getting the right top is paramount to a vert, have to drive it sometimes and may want the top up occasionally, so It has to look the part.  Most of the time they look ok. I've seen some poor examples done, especially with new challengers that people convert. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 01, 2015, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on September 01, 2015, 10:56:40 AM

Yeah, no kiddin'.  There's a moldy oldy.

Brock, I seen this Charger on ebay year or 2 back & thought of you.  I remember you wanting to see what this would look like on a car IIRC?

Could be wrong....but I'm pretty sure that was one Travis used to own (it was all black when he had it)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

472 R/T SE

So was Travis responsible for the guitar color work or the person who bought it from him?