News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger R/T convertible

Started by 69bronzeT5, June 06, 2010, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Other B body choices out there.  I hate the fact the rear window area is all completely lost.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 07, 2010, 08:11:36 PM
:rotz:  Ma Mopar didn't make them for a reason and I understand why. I don't like the straight up look of the windshield post/frame/glass on a conv Charger.

I agree...which is why I changed the post angle in the second picture...above.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

stripedelete

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 06, 2010, 11:13:18 PM
Nice job on it but

Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:35:15 PM
As much as I love convertibles, it just doesn't look right on a charger.  Maybe is the roof line for me that makes the car along with the other body lines but I just can't see it looking better as a convert.
:iagree:

X3.  I'm sure Chrysler mocked one up back-in-the-day and saw the same thing.

Skyview69

I want to see it with the top up and then make a decision.  :scratchchin: 

Magnumcharger

Charger´69

No no and no, 2nd gen Charger and convertible  :slap: I don´t like, it doesn´t look like a muscle car anymore  :shruggy:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

375instroke

The 4-door to hardtop windshield difference is obvious, but I never noticed it on convertibles.  If I was to do this, the top would have sail fins.  I've seen them on Fiero convertibles.  I understand that the top is the same as '67 and earlier convertible tops.  So is the windshield the same as a 4-door, or is it unique to itself?  All these convertible Chargers looked messed up.  They all cut corners, grafting Charger panels onto a convertible body, and calling it done.  People look down to installing a '68 grill on a '69, for instance, but a Coronet roof on a Charger is fine?  I don't think so.  The convertible rear window looks similar in size to a Charger window, so that could stay.  I'd at least extend the roof back in the corners and use cables to maintain the shape.  There are cables in there already, so it's not like it's a big re-engineering effort.  Lowering the windshield would be the big challenge.  Since the top is the same as earlier models, I think it looks that way because of cost saving measures, not because of some engineering necessity.  In the end, though, with the top down, it still looks funny, so I guess I'd have to leave the top up all the time.  What would be the point, then?  Just to show off?  The other B-bodies look OK with the tops down, but they look funny with it up, too.  E-bodies look fine with the top up, or down, and maybe that's because they were designed for that body.  Well, I hope someone that decides to do another one of these does it the right way.  I'd really be impressed.  Now, what to do about the rear upper door pads?

Skyview69

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 08, 2010, 09:39:38 AM
Quote from: Skyview69 on June 08, 2010, 09:19:32 AM
I want to see it with the top up and then make a decision.  :scratchchin:  

Lookie here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodgedeora/sets/72157607518259173/

Hmmm...I'd have to say it is not for me however it is a Charger and it does look good either way

Vainglory, Esq.

For me the biggest question has always been whether there are sailpanel-esque parts of the top that allow it to flow into the quarters.  If not, it doesn't look like a Charger.

That shouldn't be a total deterrent though, since I'm sure they could be made with enough skill and time.  After all, if you look at the BMW 6-series convertible, you see that it can be done.  Admittedly not the best example, but at least clear proof that a convertible roof does not have to destroy the flow of the bodylines.

MoparManJim

You know, after looking at the photos and reading what all you said. I got thinking, I like building models all the time and doing different things to them and adding much detail as I can when I can.. I got thinking (yea I know that is scary  :lol: ) maybe later on down in the summer. I think I will get a revell charger kit and do a model charger convertible with a working correct roof on it  :scratchchin: . I wonder if I could pull that one now that I think about it  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

375instroke

Here's a Fiero as a Ferrari convertible clone with sail fins.

chargd72

How do you know if they're real or not?  There is a pair for sale on craigslist by me.

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:50:09 PM
Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:47:14 PM
VERY RARE Recall Wheels  :2thumbs:

Im guessing they are not originals but the repros that are now out there.

How sad, everything can be faked now...  :flame:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

bakerhillpins

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:50:09 PM
Quote from: resq302 on June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 06, 2010, 10:47:14 PM
VERY RARE Recall Wheels  :2thumbs:

Im guessing they are not originals but the repros that are now out there.

How sad, everything can be faked now...  :flame:

Are these original recall wheels? Pic swiped from ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUILT-383-MAGNUM-TCI-Tranny-MSD-CAM-Lots-O-Xtras-/230485016697?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35a9fa4079

Not a big fan of loosing the sail panels with a rag top..  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 07, 2010, 05:04:22 PM
I've wanted to build a Charger convertible for Decades.  :coolgleamA:

I've just never been able to lay my hands on a 68-70 B-body convertible that either wasn't a total rust bucket, or big $$$$ and too nice to cut up... :brickwall:

...Now, with all of the AMD sheet metal that is available AND my extensive stash of second generation charger parts, I wouldn't even NEED a charger donor car to start with, just the B-body convertible, the credit card, and my junk pile... :scratchchin:

Anybody got a Coronet rag top they want to unload?  :scratchchin:

You can apparently get all the tin from these guys:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48966.0.html

The post is old so I wonder if they are still selling as I don't see a lot of Charger verts... Which is fine with me.  :yesnod:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

375instroke

Did you get the right picture?  The original recall wheels weren't chrome.  They had trim rings.  I've seen two different centers and two different trim rings used.

chargd72

These are the ones I was talking about.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

resq302

The appear to be the alluminum slotted rims. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 375instroke on June 09, 2010, 10:45:55 AM
Did you get the right picture?  The original recall wheels weren't chrome.  They had trim rings.  I've seen two different centers and two different trim rings used.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting they were recall wheels, just wondering if they were. I take it by your response that they are not which answers the question.  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

A383Wing

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 09, 2010, 09:56:06 AM

The '68 Charger 'vert that Bob had was designed to have the tunnel back sailpanel design. Top was a "scissor" style like the mid '70s GM cars had. You would have to ask him for more details about it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2010, 08:41:07 PM

The '68 Charger 'vert that Bob had was designed to have the tunnel back sailpanel design. Top was a "scissor" style like the mid '70s GM cars had. You would have to ask him for more details about it.

Ok, so more like folks were suggesting with the BMW and Ferrari. I guess I could hold off judgment until I see a top like that but top down just doesn't do it for me at all.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Old Moparz

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 10, 2010, 07:42:30 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2010, 08:41:07 PM

Ok, so more like folks were suggesting with the BMW and Ferrari. I guess I could hold off judgment until I see a top like that but top down just doesn't do it for me at all.

I've only seen one Charger convertible where the person building it was trying to keep the roof line of a hardtop Charger. It was from the northwest & had supposedly been owned by a Chrysler engineer, then sold before it was ever finished. I am pretty sure a member on this site bought it & still owns it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Khyron

Quote from: chargd72 on June 09, 2010, 10:47:50 AM
These are the ones I was talking about.

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Magnumcharger

I've only seen one Charger convertible where the person building it was trying to keep the roof line of a hardtop Charger. It was from the northwest & had supposedly been owned by a Chrysler engineer, then sold before it was ever finished. I am pretty sure a member on this site bought it & still owns it.

That Chrysler engineer was Richard Sias, and this is the car you're referring to.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 10, 2010, 10:48:18 AM

That Chrysler engineer was Richard Sias, and this is the car you're referring to.

Yeah, that's the same car, just different photos. It was for sale on the internet for a couple of years & then one day it finally sold. I have yet to see a pic with the top in the up position. It may be why the project was never completed.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

8WHEELER

That 68 was in my garage for three years, after Bob bought it from Richard Sias, and the top was never put up.

It had the power motors installed and everything, but there was no other electrical to put the top up.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.