News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger R/T convertible

Started by 69bronzeT5, June 06, 2010, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

A bit of information passed along from another Charger buddy...a fellow who actually has another Charger convertible:
Hey Robin, I read the thread about the Charger convertibles on DC.com
I just figured I'd let you know that I was in the garage today, putting an exhaust system on the Charger'vert. I grabbed a tape measure and I measured the windshield height on the 'vert at both the actual windshield glass and the vent window height, and compared them to the same measurements on the 1970 V code Charger R/T that I just got from Troy.
There is only 1 inch difference between the convertible windshield height and vent window height, over the standard Charger windshield height, and vent window height.
The Charger windshield height is 21 inches, and the vent window height is 13 7/8 vs 22 inches on the windsheild height on the 'vert, and 14 7/8 on the vert vent windows. To use the standard Charger windshield height wouldn't be worth the aggrivation, because of all the glass no longer fitting the car properly.
If you lower the top 1 inch in the front, then you would have to lower the top an inch in the rear to keep the roof straight, this would cause the glass to no longer roll up all the way up. The only way to fix that would be to have all four windows cut 1 inch with that little notch on the door glass to recieve the vent windows. The windsheild of the standard Charger also has way more curvature at the top where the convertible windshield is straighter at the top by 3/4 of an inch.
This means that in the middle of the windshield where the top frame meets the windsheild the standard Charger windshield frame sticks out 3/4 of an inch beyond the convertible windshield in the middle of the windshield. The top frame would have to have to have the front of the frame reconfigured to fit the standard Charger windshield frame. I don't think it would be worth all the labor involved to do this for a gain of only 1 inch. I had looked into all this when I originally did the Chargervert.
Pete
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

8WHEELER

Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

375instroke

I don't see what the big deal with the glass is.  People have been chopping '49 Mercs, and everything else, for decades, and have been able to deal with the glass.  The roof has to look right, whatever the cost or effort, or it's all wasted effort.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 17, 2010, 10:54:32 PM
Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan

I think it looks a lot like a Coronet with the roof up.

resq302

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 06:00:55 AM

Dan

:iagree:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69*F5*SE

Quote from: resq302 on June 18, 2010, 06:27:49 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 06:00:55 AM

Dan

:iagree:

At first glance I thought it was a Coronet also.  It looks better with the top up to me. 

Old Moparz

Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  ;)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 18, 2010, 08:55:57 AM
Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  ;)   
great info i need good vent window frames for my convert they are all pitted
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
  these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod:

resq302

Quote from: moparstuart on June 18, 2010, 09:45:44 AM
  I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
   these look great

I agree.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69*F5*SE

Yeah, that kind of works for me too. It needs to have a wing or it looks kind of weird.  That's obviously a Woodward Dream Cruise pic.  I'd recognize that WRIF 101 billboard anywhere.

Magnumcharger

these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Yes...but look close...NO VENT WINDOWS!

MoparManJim

Do I spot a yellow Challenger in the back ground?  :scratchchin:

1970Moparmann

That looks great! 

Is the picture at the Woodward Dream Cruise?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 07:11:48 PM

interesting  :popcrn: :popcrn:

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on June 19, 2010, 07:21:22 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 18, 2010, 07:11:48 PM

interesting  :popcrn: :popcrn:

You have to wonder if they were removed to be redone, or if it was a hardtop car with the roof removed?   :shruggy:
               Bob                

mauve66

chopping the tops on older 30-50 cars was a little easier cause alot of them had straight flat glass in the doors and rear sides, no curve in the glass as it went up, notice i said alot and not all
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Brock Samson

wingcar

I think Magnumcharger hit the nail on the head....it's the A pillar that looks out of place. 
To my eye they appear to tall and upright giving it a larger look than they should have.
Of course it all a matter of personal tastes, and I wouldn't turn down the keys if handed to me....
And, many are correct in that one of the styling features that makes the Charger such a stand out is the roof line.

All that said, it's still a beauiful car....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

The "double diamond" sides don't lend themselves well to it either.  Only my opinion of course, but it gives the car a bent look without the roof.  :shruggy:  Excellent caraftsmanship (sic) though.

Old Moparz

An old thread but still a good one.   :icon_smile_big:

That company from down south, "Mars Mopars" that was at Carlisle with the Charger convertible on display, seems to have vanished a couple of years ago.   :shruggy:

They had an ad in the services forum here for a long time & a website but neither are around now. If the timing had been better for me I was going to trailer my '68 Coronet to them for the conversion but Murphy's Law had struck again.  ::)

As for the Charger convertible looking weird with the top up, who cares? I mean the whole purpose of a ragtop is to put the top down & go for a cruise. Hardly anyone takes an old classic out in crappy weather so the top is almost irrelevant.

Here is the link with the photos I took..... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=46405.0;
               Bob                

Back N Black

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 31, 2015, 07:34:10 PM
Any updates on the Converts?..

Welcome back! do you still have the charger?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Back N Black on September 01, 2015, 10:56:40 AM

Welcome back! do you still have the charger?

Yeah, no kiddin'.  There's a moldy oldy.

Brock, I seen this Charger on ebay year or 2 back & thought of you.  I remember you wanting to see what this would look like on a car IIRC?

tan top

Hey Brock !  good too see ya     :wave:     :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:   

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Samson

Thanks!  :wave:
 Still got the Charger, but there been huge changes in my life since we got married june of '14,..  :yesnod:
Meanwhile, The R/T has been languishing in the garage.
 We've done a home remodel that incl. removing a 60' Yucca tree that broke the sewer pipe, inside plumbing, a new electrical service and a host of Misc. issues to combine our to households into one..  :pullinghair: (read "Two tones of shit in a one Lb. bag.)
 I'm just driving the Jeep Grand exclusively and it's been a perfect Swiss army knife of a ride, does everything well, (but sip gas). MPG's still twice as good as the R/T though.
 One action the charger has seen, has been as a literal parade float in the annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade, i posted a couple pics from the first yr. here I think.
 Who ever painted that '70 up there really screwed that up... SMH.. thanks for the tip,
they sure followed the photoshop pics made for me to the letter,.. too bad.
  Hey! Where the "Like" button?!  :scratchchin:
Hope all is well with all of you!  :2thumbs: