DodgeCharger.com Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '69 Charger R/T convertible  (Read 8552 times)
Magnumcharger
Old Timer

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 06:54:59 PM »

A bit of information passed along from another Charger buddy...a fellow who actually has another Charger convertible:
Hey Robin, I read the thread about the Charger convertibles on DC.com. 
I just figured I'd let you know that I was in the garage today, putting an exhaust system on the Charger'vert. I grabbed a tape measure and I measured the windshield height on the 'vert at both the actual windshield glass and the vent window height, and compared them to the same measurements on the 1970 V code Charger R/T that I just got from Troy.
There is only 1 inch difference between the convertible windshield height and vent window height, over the standard Charger windshield height, and vent window height.
The Charger windshield height is 21 inches, and the vent window height is 13 7/8 vs 22 inches on the windsheild height on the 'vert, and 14 7/8 on the vert vent windows. To use the standard Charger windshield height wouldn't be worth the aggrivation, because of all the glass no longer fitting the car properly.
If you lower the top 1 inch in the front, then you would have to lower the top an inch in the rear to keep the roof straight, this would cause the glass to no longer roll up all the way up. The only way to fix that would be to have all four windows cut 1 inch with that little notch on the door glass to recieve the vent windows. The windsheild of the standard Charger also has way more curvature at the top where the convertible windshield is straighter at the top by 3/4 of an inch.
This means that in the middle of the windshield where the top frame meets the windsheild the standard Charger windshield frame sticks out 3/4 of an inch beyond the convertible windshield in the middle of the windshield. The top frame would have to have to have the front of the frame reconfigured to fit the standard Charger windshield frame. I don't think it would be worth all the labor involved to do this for a gain of only 1 inch. I had looked into all this when I originally did the Chargervert.
Pete
8WHEELER
Old Timer

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »

Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan

* Convertible_69_Charger_AAA_10.jpg (99.65 KB, 800x600 - viewed 416 times.)

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.
375instroke

'69 Charger R/T Dark Bronze Metallic

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »

I don't see what the big deal with the glass is.  People have been chopping '49 Mercs, and everything else, for decades, and have been able to deal with the glass.  The roof has to look right, whatever the cost or effort, or it's all wasted effort.
Magnumcharger
Old Timer

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:55 AM »

Here is a picture of that red 69 vert Charger with the top up, not a great picture though.

Dan

I think it looks a lot like a Coronet with the roof up.
resq302
Old Timer

Whats black and white and red all over.......

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2010, 05:27:49 AM »

Dan

iagree

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto
69*F5*SE
Old Timer

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2010, 06:22:52 AM »

Dan

iagree

At first glance I thought it was a Coronet also.  It looks better with the top up to me. 
Old Moparz
Old Timer

Newburgh, NY

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »

Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  Wink

______Bob          ______

WARNING!
     Due To Overfeeding Some
Pigeons Can Become Aggressive.

The News That Didn't Make The News
moparstuart
Old Timer

Kansas Mafia Member , Overland park Ks.

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Aside from the glass height being different, the angle is different as well. One windshield leans back more than the other, & I believe it's the 2-door hard top that does. I have the interior windshield pillar trim from 3 different body styles, sets from a base Charger, from a 4-door Coronet, & also from several Coronet & Satellite convertibles. I was told over 20 years ago that the vent wing windows & frames, the triangle ones, from a '66 & '67 B-body, 4-door, are the same as a '68, '69. & '70 B-Body convertible. It makes sense since the 4-door doesn't have the same angle on the windshield as the 2-door.

I saved the 4-door trim I had in hopes of modifying them for my ragtop since the ragtop pieces are tough to find & mine were cracked. I compared the 3 sets of pillar trim, & the 4-door ones match the ragtop ones, but are longer because of the way the roof is. The 2-door hardtop sets have a different angle, so I seriously doubt the windshield can simply be "chopped" to fit. There's just too much geometry going on. Also, a friend of mine with a '70 Road Runner convertible, snagged a diver's door from a '67 4-door for free because he needed the window frame replaced on his car. He hasn't done it yet, but it does appear to be exactly the same part.

Please don't toss any front doors from a '66 or '67 4-door in the scrap pile, ragtop owners may need the vent wings.  Wink   
great info i need good vent window frames for my convert they are all pitted

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »

I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
   these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   drool5 drool5 drool5 yesnod yesnod

* IMG_1501_3ddcrfddf.JPG (87.41 KB, 600x450 - viewed 366 times.)

* plumerverdcdc.jpg (57.1 KB, 549x448 - viewed 384 times.)

resq302
Old Timer

Whats black and white and red all over.......

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »

I have alway said build a convertible charger and you need a big wing on it to compensate for the loss of the sail panels
   these look great

I agree.

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto
69*F5*SE
Old Timer

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »

Yeah, that kind of works for me too. It needs to have a wing or it looks kind of weird.  That's obviously a Woodward Dream Cruise pic.  I'd recognize that WRIF 101 billboard anywhere.
Magnumcharger
Old Timer

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

these look great ,  no mistaken that charger for a coronet   drool5 drool5 drool5 yesnod yesnod

Yes...but look close...NO VENT WINDOWS!
MoparManJim
Old Timer

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

Do I spot a yellow Challenger in the back ground?  scratchchin
1970Moparmann
Old Timer

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »

That looks great! 

Is the picture at the Woodward Dream Cruise?

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2010, 06:21:22 AM »

interesting  popcrn popcrn

Old Moparz
Old Timer

Newburgh, NY

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »

interesting  popcrn popcrn

You have to wonder if they were removed to be redone, or if it was a hardtop car with the roof removed?   shruggy

______Bob          ______

WARNING!
     Due To Overfeeding Some
Pigeons Can Become Aggressive.

The News That Didn't Make The News
mauve66
Old Timer

the best dreams have wings and big blocks

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »

chopping the tops on older 30-50 cars was a little easier cause alot of them had straight flat glass in the doors and rear sides, no curve in the glass as it went up, notice i said alot and not all

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment