News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '69 Charger 500's grille is a little closer to OEM correct..

Started by hemi68charger, June 24, 2010, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

WooHooo !!!!  Got the grille kit today from Mike G., of Dayclona fame...... Man, nice items !!!!!  And to think, it was my very C500 that the original templates were made from WAY back when before the grille was sold... The car was eventually going to be turned into a Daytona-clone.......  All I need now is another headlamp bucket and the vertical brackets........  That's my next quest..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

The vertical pieces you need will probably need to be made but as I remember they aren't that complicated. :eyes:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 24, 2010, 09:45:57 PM
The vertical pieces you need will probably need to be made but as I remember they aren't that complicated. :eyes:

Nope.. They aren't.. I'm hoping I can get some dimensions or a template from someone on a flat pace of paper or tape...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparstuart

I need those side fender to grille fillers for my car , how does the rubber peice on the front of that filler look compared to the original ? 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2010, 08:23:26 AM
  I need those side fender to grille fillers for my car , how does the rubber peice on the front of that filler look compared to the original ? 

It fits the filler nicely, but doesn't have the ribs I believe the originals  had... Dana was missing those. I believe from the originals I have seen, there were two ribs running parallel to the length of it.......
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 25, 2010, 08:59:21 AM

It fits the filler nicely, but doesn't have the ribs I believe the originals  had... Dana was missing those. I believe from the originals I have seen, there were two ribs running parallel to the length of it.......
I think the rubber piece is just a piece of windshield washer hose that has been split open and glued on the filler.  The originals on mine were stuck on to the filler with globs of yellow weather strip adhesive.  
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 25, 2010, 03:20:01 PM

It fits the filler nicely, but doesn't have the ribs I believe the originals  had... Dana was missing those. I believe from the originals I have seen, there were two ribs running parallel to the length of it.......
I think the rubber piece is just a piece of windshield hose that has been split open and glued on the filler.  The originals on mine were stuck on to the filler with globs of yellow weather strip adhesive. 
good to know

hemi68charger

It fits the filler nicely, but doesn't have the ribs I believe the originals  had... Dana was missing those. I believe from the originals I have seen, there were two ribs running parallel to the length of it.......
I think the rubber piece is just a piece of windshield washer hose that has been split open and glued on the filler.  The originals on mine were stuck on to the filler with globs of yellow weather strip adhesive.  

You know as you say that, that DOES make perfect visual-sense......   :2thumbs:
Troy

learical1

The originals on mine were stuck on to the filler with globs of yellow weather strip adhesive.  

The technical term for "globs of yellow weather strip adhesive" is Gorilla Snot.
Bruce

DAY CLONA

The "actual" factory filler strip rubber trim has 1 stepped groove in it, facing the inside,....it's not a split peice of vacumm tube, it's actualy very flat, and wide....the rubber peice I supply is very close to the original, size wise, but doesn't have the stepped depression...............

Mike

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 25, 2010, 07:02:28 PM
The "actual" factory filler strip rubber trim has 1 stepped groove in it, facing the inside,....it's not a split peice of vacumm tube, it's actualy very flat, and wide....the rubber peice I supply is very close to the original, size wise, but doesn't have the stepped depression...............

Mike

Mike, so the "line" is a depression in the rubber, not a ridge?
Troy

DAY CLONA

Here's a pic of some original trim,......................

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 25, 2010, 07:26:28 PM
Here's a pic of some original trim,......................

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh,, holding out on me !!!???  :lol:
Troy

nascarxx29

My friends 500 has that rubber filler .Its a T shaped piece as I recall
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

mike i still need a set of fillers     I bought some of the rubber stuff from sean and i will take a picture of it and see what you think ??? , its in the truck of the bird which is at the doctor right now once it back i'll post some pictures of the stripes I have .

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2010, 10:59:27 PM
mike i still need a set of fillers     I bought some of the rubber stuff from sean and i will take a picture of it and see what you think ??? , its in the truck of the bird which is at the doctor right now once it back i'll post some pictures of the stripes I have .

Stuart,....just let me know when you need a set, contact me here on DC.com....I'll discount a set for you like I have for the other DodgeCharger.com members

Mike

moparstuart

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 26, 2010, 09:46:34 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2010, 10:59:27 PM

Stuart,....just let me know when you need a set, contact me here on DC.com....I'll discount a set for you like I have for the other DodgeCharger.com members

Mike
great thanks mike  , when i get the bird back i'll take a picture of the rubber edging i got and post it ?

moparstuart

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 25, 2010, 07:02:28 PM

Mike
wayne perkins got me some and it is very flat with a groove , I think he got it from sean machado who has a big roll of the stuff  ???   

RallyeMike

Can someone post a cross-section photo or a quick doodle of one with dimensions? Mine are long gone and I have no idea what they look like.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

NYCMille

Yup - Mike's stuff is second-to-none when it comes to quality and he's also one of the only honest guys left in this business!

hotrod98

Quote from: NYCMille on December 29, 2011, 12:05:59 PM
Yup - Mike's stuff is second-to-none when it comes to quality and he's also one of the only honest guys left in this business!

I totally agree with you on that.     Mike G. is the best guy that I've ever dealt with.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 29, 2011, 11:41:36 AM
Can someone post a cross-section photo or a quick doodle of one with dimensions? Mine are long gone and I have no idea what they look like.

Mike
I will email some good photos.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

mopar346

Any chance we can get the pictures of the rubber strip referenced above posted on this thread?

mopar346

Quote from: XS29LA47V21

Mike
I will email some good photos.
/quote]

These are the pictures requested.

mopar346

Any chance of getting the measurements on the brackets welded(?) to the 68 headlight buckets to mount it to the 69 support? Sorry to ask so much but I'm just trying to fill in the blanks that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar346 on September 17, 2019, 07:36:32 PM
Any chance of getting the measurements on the brackets welded(?) to the 68 headlight buckets to mount it to the 69 support? Sorry to ask so much but I'm just trying to fill in the blanks that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Hello Kevin...
I will be home Friday, away at a Conference now....... Then I can take some pictures and measurements this weekend..
Troy

mopar346

Thanks Troy, that would be awesome. I may start a thread when I go to assemble my grille and list all the grille threads I have referenced, the information I have gathered and the actual recreation and reassembly of the entire grill set up so it's all in one place. My only hesitation on that is there are already 5 or 6 threads that I can find so yet another seems like overkill, maybe just a simple listing of all the threads and folks can add links as new threads pop up, not so much information in the thread just links.

krops cars

I know nothing about the 500 grille. Did I not read that it is like a Coronet grille?

mopar346

Yes but more than just a grille change and a high percentage of the parts needed are from a 68 Coronet, the few specialty pars are the kicker.

krops cars

chargervert

This thread is from back when Troy had my old Charger 500!  He has had ten other cars since then!

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on September 18, 2019, 01:31:48 PM
This thread is from back when Troy had my old Charger 500!  He has had ten other cars since then!

Yeap, but the one that remained constant the whole time is the Daytona (from the time I got it and that story in itself is a long one with a happy ending)
Troy

mopar346

And the information is still great for a newby to the model trying to figure out the missing pieces. Pictures and measurements are making my search much easier and much more accurate.

mopar346

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 18, 2019, 06:38:38 AM
Quote from: mopar346 on September 17, 2019, 07:36:32 PM

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Hello Kevin...
I will be home Friday, away at a Conference now....... Then I can take some pictures and measurements this weekend..

Not that it's pressing but did you have a chance to measure those brackets? Measurements of the up rights would be great too.

Thank in advance, Kevin