News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this an original direct-drive hemi 4-speed starter?

Started by hemi68charger, June 26, 2010, 12:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Is this an original direct-drive hemi 4-speed starter? More questions on my buddy's '68 Hemi 4-speed 'Runner.........

Thanks..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Get me all the numbers off it, dates casting #'s - snout, body - wherever you see them and I'll let you know.

John_Kunkel

Some early stick shift trucks use one that looks quite similar.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

maxwellwedge

Here are some notes I made - I do have 2 Hemi originals at the shop that I want to re-check and remember the deal with them.

The Hemi starters do have 2642930 on the barrel ( the /6 having the "100" number). Also some other numbers and the one I looked at had a date of 35 8 on it. According to the parts book the nose/head is part number 1889363 - same for Hemi and /6. The solenoids carry different part numbers for both engines.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 26, 2010, 06:31:59 PM
Here are some notes I made - I do have 2 Hemi originals at the shop that I want to re-check and remember the deal with them.

The Hemi starters do have 2642930 on the barrel ( the /6 having the "100" number). Also some other numbers and the one I looked at had a date of 35 8 on it. According to the parts book the nose/head is part number 1889363 - same for Hemi and /6. The solenoids carry different part numbers for both engines.

Jim, I don't doubt for a second that you've quoted exactly what the parts book says about the nose/head, but the direct-drive Hemi starters do have a different nose casting than the slant six's based on what I've observed and been told.  '66 manual Hemi starters have a one-year only part number on the barrel of 2642445 and a one-year only nose casting number of 2642443.  '67-69 manual starters have a part number on the barrel of 2642930 as you've stated, but they have a nose casting number of 2642928.  Why the difference in Hemi starters (especially when the '66 and '67 stick Hemi's used the exact same bellhousing), I dunno.

Allen V. (xs29j8Bullitt) did a good photo comparison of the /6 and Hemi starters to show they are slightly different.  I thought maybe I had sent those pics to you, but maybe not.  Anyway, here's one of his pictures:

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 26, 2010, 12:46:28 PM
Is this an original direct-drive hemi 4-speed starter? More questions on my buddy's '68 Hemi 4-speed 'Runner.........

Thanks..

Troy, the nose casting of your friend's starter is definitely '67-69 Hemi stuff.  However, it looks like it could have been rebuilt at some point.  Most of the original (meaning not rebuilt) Hemi starters seem to have phillips-head screws on the barrel rather than standard-tip screws.  I'm not gonna say that NO Hemi direct-drive starters were built with standard-tip screws, and maybe phillips screws are more prevalent on the '69 model year that you already know I tend to gravitate towards.  My guess is that if you look on the barrel you'll see either a 1889100 or 1889200 part number stamped on it - a sure sign that it's been rebuilt and had the barrel swapped out.  

From what I've seen, it seems to be a fairly rare oddity to see a Hemi direct-drive starter that still has it's original barrel.

:Twocents: :cheers:

hemi68charger

Thanks guys.....
Is there anyone that provides rebuild services?

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69rtse4spd

Might try an older shop that dose rewinds on motors. There is two places in FT. Wayne that rebuilds elect. motors & starters, if I can remember tomorrow I will call & see what they say, maybe they can find something in your area. Have to make my self a note or will forget to call. :think:. Jeff. 

maxwellwedge

I was looking for our notes on this - we were talking on the phone while I had one in my hand. I didn't find my notes so I did the parts book thing. I do remember now that you and I agreed on what the originals had on them while I was eyeballing an original.

I got lazy - please find it in your heart to forgive me!   :'(

Quote from: hemigeno on June 30, 2010, 08:07:11 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 26, 2010, 06:31:59 PM

Jim, I don't doubt for a second that you've quoted exactly what the parts book says about the nose/head, but the direct-drive Hemi starters do have a different nose casting than the slant six's based on what I've observed and been told.  '66 manual Hemi starters have a one-year only part number on the barrel of 2642445 and a one-year only nose casting number of 2642443.  '67-69 manual starters have a part number on the barrel of 2642930 as you've stated, but they have a nose casting number of 2642928.  Why the difference in Hemi starters (especially when the '66 and '67 stick Hemi's used the exact same bellhousing), I dunno.

Allen V. (xs29j8Bullitt) did a good photo comparison of the /6 and Hemi starters to show they are slightly different.  I thought maybe I had sent those pics to you, but maybe not.  Anyway, here's one of his pictures:

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 01, 2010, 05:21:59 PM
I got lazy - please find it in your heart to forgive me!   :'(

Sure, just find everything on the parts wish list I sent you and all will be forgiven   :insertsarcasm:

:lol:

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 01, 2010, 09:47:37 AM
Is there anyone that provides rebuild services?

There are still shops around that will rebuild/rewind the motor, however I remember reading somewhere about asking the rebuilder to add additional copper winding (within the limits of the housing, of course) to help give the motor a little more torque.  The direct-drive starters were weak from the get-go, which probably explains why so few of them made it through without being rebuilt somewhere down the line.

69rtse4spd

Well the one place I called while Mopar John was down had an unlisted number. Could not remember the name of the other place, but know where it is & will be in FT. Wayne Sat. so will stop by & check. Let you know what I find out.

69rtse4spd

Did not make up on Sat.,( sorry, please forgive me, no 50 lashes with a wet noodle). Will get there this week, got to go to Mosers to get a set of gears first then will head North, have not forgotten.

69rtse4spd

OK, Barneys Auto Electric 1-800-345-6939, they do rebuild auto starters, do not increase the windings. They  said to get on line  in Texas, & check for starter rebuilds. The lashings can stop now.