News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the "Best oil filter" and why?

Started by b5blue, June 30, 2010, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I just changed my oil and now "after the fact" am wondering what the collective mass here deems "The best oil filter" to use is. Many have said Fram is no good, why? I went with a regular Mopar filter this time for my 440.  :shruggy:

68X426

Wix. I'll let them tell their story. http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

Every company can say anything, and claim everything. Well for my Hemi it is Wix that delivers and only Wix that I'll use. Lots of tests out there back it up. :Twocents:

Then check out Bob Is The Oil Guy. It is packed full of data.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=6&page=1

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

mikesbbody

Most here will tell you Mopar Performance and Wix filters are the one's to use as for Fram, take a look inside not much in there from what I have heard but I have never cut one in Half.

adauto

Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

charger2fast4u

ive always used fram filters until a recent thread the other month came about. now i'll only use k&n wix or napa gold  filters in my cars.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RD

wix, mobil 1, or K&N, best three out there ( IMO ).  wix has a huge variety of filters that you can use for your mope.. there is one that you can screw into your oil pump and can hold up to 1 3/4 qts of oil just in the filter hehe... I got the part number somewhere.  of course, dont even worry about getting it if you have power steering.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1BAD68

Speaking of, I just bought a Carquest filter and its made by WIX

adauto

Also true, I have seen top of the line carquests WIX!  :yesnod:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

mikepmcs

i also bought a cub cadet rider at home depot only to find out that it isn't really cub cadet or something like that.  same with john deere at home depot.  what's that all about anyway. :shruggy:

so to be on the safe side, I'm sticking with the one that says wix on it or napa gold.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pullrock

Royal Purple has been getting some real press on the car TV shows.

http://www.motorator.com/videos/1342

I am not currently using one but it will be my next filter  :2thumbs:

Eric
68 Charger R/T

69rtse4spd

NAPA gold for the chargers, have used STP for the Caravan, 370,530 miles on it so far, Advance runs oil specials now & then. But mostly NAPA gold for all these years on just about everthing.

b5blue

Thanks for all the reply's! Is anyone opening these things up and looking inside? (I saved the one from my 1st oil change after the re build but haven't figured a good way to open it up?)

68X426

Quote from: b5blue on July 01, 2010, 04:57:58 PM
but haven't figured a good way to open it up

:D

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

John_Kunkel

Quote from: b5blue on July 01, 2010, 04:57:58 PM
(I saved the one from my 1st oil change after the re build but haven't figured a good way to open it up?)

You need a dedicated filter cutter, anything else will leave shavings that might be mistaken for engine material.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80532/10002/-1?CT=999

BTW, an oil filter discussion without a link to the "oil filter study". How refreshing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68X426

Do you refer to this one? http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Their conclusion: "It should be clear that Mopar filters are really nothing special. Unless you are trying to have a perfect restoration and need that Mopar logo, there is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filters."

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 01, 2010, 06:17:54 PM
anything else will leave shavings that might be mistaken for engine material.

I've only opened a filter twice, and then using eyesight and magnets, found no metal debris. So I thought a hacksaw was ok as a cheap and quick method.

Thank you for the info on the dedicated cutter.  :yesnod:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

grdprx

I use the Napa Gold, as advised here on dodgecharger.com   :coolgleamA:

RD

i have opened up a wix, a bosch, a fram, mobil one and the o'reilly house (microguard) and compared the internals.  conclusion.. if using only qualitative data from eyesight, you will see that the wix, mobil one, bosch and microguard all have a metal internal support structure that will keep the filter element encased so as to not get sucked up into the oil pump if there is filter element failure.

fram, on the other hand, has a top and bottom papyrus/cardboard style upper and lower support circles that are glued/epoxied to the filtration element.  it is this glue that people have witnessed or heard of failing and causing the element to then travel into the oiling system and plug up galley's and oil pumps.

now, in regards to filtration and flow capabilities, cutting one open wont tell you jack.  stick to the study for that data.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

The problem with "the study" is that it doesn't contain any filtration/flow data, an eyeball evaluation is worthless.

68X426

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 02, 2010, 06:27:24 PM

The problem with "the study" is that it doesn't contain any filtration/flow data, an eyeball evaluation is worthless.

John, do you have info on any studies/reports on filtration and flow? :scratchchin:

And do you have an opinion on filters?  :scratchchin:

'Cause we are all "blind men in a dark room" looking for a filter. And Fram advertises it's the greatest ever. So we are left only with a consensus of experience from those posting here. What are we to do?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

RD

eyeball evaluations in regards to the determination of the overall capabilities of a filter are in the eye of the beholder, BUT, if you look at the filter's support structure of the element, an eyeball view can determine, based upon ones own opinion (because this is all that there is) if you want one filter over another.

so, eyeballing the internals of a filter can provide a reasonable sense of insurance in regards to how well a filter is made, because they are all NOT equal in that regard.

flow, pressure ratings on bypass valves, surface area of filter element, and filtration capabilities can all be obtained from the manufacturer.

John_Kunkel

Here's the simple facts, that "oil filter study" has made everybody paranoid about using Fram filters even though there are millions of satisfied users that have never had a filter-related failure. The cheap internal construction that is made such a big deal in all of the eyeball studies has nothing to do with the filter's ability to filter oil. On every used Fram that I have cut open the cardboard support ring is still there keeping the element centered.

Once a product gets a bad rap, all you will hear from then on are the negative experiences and the cycle repeats.

When it comes to oil and filters I usually just buy what's on sale and have never had a filter of any brand fail in 50+ years of driving/maintaining motor vehicles.

RD

moparguy01 had a fram filter element get sucked up into his engine because the cardboard support failed. i cut up all these filters back in 2001 before i even knew this study existed and saw the differences between the filters. by simple deductive reasoning (and common sense) I concluded that I would rather have a wix in place of a fram any day.  the study didnt make me paranoid, my experience with these filters and moparguy01's experience did.

i guess, you should all ask yourself this:

is it worth it when running your engine with something that has a greater possibility of failure in comparison to others?  if the filter element became detached from a wix, mobil one, or any other with a metal infrastructure, would the filter element get sucked up into the oil pump?  My answer is NO to both questions.

you pay for insurance for your car, your house, your boat... why not pay a lil extra insurance to make sure you are not a victim of something, that in most cases, $2 extra would alleviate? 

b5blue

I've run Fram HP1's for a long time with no known issues (even extended "just change the oil and leave the filter till next change") however I have no problem switching to WIX/NAPA if they are "better".  :yesnod: I did kinda mean "better" to mean "filtering" not "volume of debris" it would hold nor was I aware that the durability of any filter was even an issue. Thanks for your reply's this has been very interesting and a concern with all the changes to new oils.  :cheers: