News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trouble with 73 challenger marker lights

Started by charger2fast4u, June 27, 2010, 03:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i got a 73 challenger i'm having a problem with my left front turn signal/ running light on the front valance panel. i turn on the parking lights or headlights and they are all on but that front left one isn't but turn on the turn signal and it flashes as soon as i turn off the signal it don't light up and go's dead again. sometimes if you kick it just right it turns on like it should then stops working after driving for awhile or turn off the lights and turn them back on it won't turn on. checked the wires running up to the plug connector and made sure none were pulled out replaced bulbs tried a whole new (old) light housing had laying around that worked when taken off and still the same thing  :shruggy: i don't know what to check for now. it has hood mounted signals to if that matters spliced into the one valance light wire but it works as it should.

bakerhillpins

Sounds to me like the turn signal switch has a dirty/corroded contact in it or is just plain old bad. Can you remove the turn signal switch from the circuit and see what happens?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

charger2fast4u

are you talking about the switch in the steering column? what would make the lights work when you give them alil kick if it's the switch. i was thinking a grounding issue.

bakerhillpins

Yep, the turn signal switch in the column.

Quote from: charger2fast4u on June 27, 2010, 03:35:26 PM
i got a 73 challenger i'm having a problem with my left front turn signal/ running light on the front valance panel. i turn on the parking lights or headlights and they are all on but that front left one isn't but turn on the turn signal and it flashes as soon as i turn off the signal it don't light up and go's dead again. sometimes if you kick it just right it turns on like it should then stops working after driving for awhile or turn off the lights and turn them back on it won't turn on.

I guess I don't understand what you are kicking? When I read that I got the idea that you were kicking the turn signal switch, figuratively speaking.. Do you mean that you actually kick the valence panel near the light?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Nacho-RT74

if everything is working including fender turn signal, is not switch related.

It looks maybe the wire inside the socket ( behind the backelite ) is loosen :shruggy:... but weird same stuff in both housings.

It looks some fail with the bulb and contacts at socket... are you sure you are inserting good the bulb ?. Keys could it be unmatched to the socket due worn socket OR bulb keys are deep into the bulb, making not fit tight... if not... some ground deal specifically on that parking light.

Are socket backelite with internal points on its position inside the socket ? the backelite has also keys to keep points on same position.

This question sounds stupid but... Did you replace the bulb ? LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

quapman

Are you using Chinese bulbs or American ones?

I had similar issues with NEW Chinese bulbs on my Challenger. Swapped out for a used U.S.A. made bulb and all was well.

If you have newer paint on the car, it could very well be a ground issue as well. You can run a jumper from between the housing and sheetmetal to the ground lug on the rad side panel.