News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any one know the....

Started by Topher, July 03, 2010, 08:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topher

Story on this Bird? I have a friend that's interested in it. Thanks.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

maxwellwedge

The Bird must have flown away... :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Topher

Topher

hemi68charger

That Superbird is owned by the gent who I got my Daytona from. I looked the car over briefly when I inspected the Daytona before we traded. It seemed pretty solid and nice. Needs some detailing here and there. I remember he didn't have the proper dual-snorkel for it, but obviously found one.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

Quote from: Topher on July 03, 2010, 04:56:50 PM
Dangit man! I must be part ratard today.

Part???  Which part??  :D

charger Downunder

[/quote]

Topher

Bryan: The part above my shoulders.

Troy: Is the car as impressive in person as it is in the pictures? It looks very clean and straight. Did you here it run?
Topher

marty42

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 03, 2010, 06:52:32 PM
I remember he didn't have the proper dual-snorkel for it

and still doesn't... ;)

obvious quarter panel/trunk floor/extensions replaced.

that car's equipment looks MIGHTY familiar, though...we have a remote mirror on our car.

just looked again...who the hell would swap out a white interior on a B5 bird???

Topher

Quote from: marty42 on July 03, 2010, 10:51:10 PM

and still doesn't... ;)

that car's equipment looks MIGHTY familiar, though...we have a remote mirror on our car.

just looked again...who the hell would swap out a white interior on a B5 bird???

Would you mind teaching me what numbers on the fender tag depict a white interior?

The inquiring mindless would like to know.
Topher

moparstuart

yeah why loose the white  ???  might  not be the popular thing to do but I love dicks with white interior and  wrong white top

dougs on his moms account again   :nana: :nana: :nana:  i almost had kyle talked into trading me for this car    :brickwall:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

and still doesn't... ;)

You're correct, it's a '72........   :scope:  Good eye... Too bad, I offered him a correct '70, he didn't want it at the time.. Maybe he doesn't know the difference???.............

Quote from: Topher on July 03, 2010, 10:31:07 PM
Bryan: The part above my shoulders.

Troy: Is the car as impressive in person as it is in the pictures? It looks very clean and straight. Did you here it run?

For the amount of money he's asking versus what the "market" is going at for other 'Birds, it's nice.. Super-clean, naaa. I didn't inspect it too much for I was looking at my Daytona, his other Daytona and cars.........   I didn't hear it run........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

pettybird

Quote from: Topher on July 03, 2010, 10:56:04 PM

and still doesn't... ;)

Would you mind teaching me what numbers on the fender tag depict a white interior?

The inquiring mindless would like to know.

the color and interior codes are on the second line from the bottom. 

EB5-- E=new for 1969 (the "E" series), B5=Blue Fire Metallic
6XW-- P="premium" grade, 6X=bucket seats in vinyl, W=color of material
EW1-- E (new for 1969 color again) W1=white.  This is the color code for the upper door frames (UDF.)  It told the workers to paint the insides of the doors and tops of the inner quarter trim white. 

If it were a black interior, you'd see P6X9 and TX9, where 9 is the code for black.  The "T" dates back to 1962.  For some reason the calendar rolled around before the end of the alphabet and started over at A again in 1965. 

You'll see these codes again for stripes and vinyl tops, too.  if you've got a w in the stripe or top code (say, V8W and V1W, respectively) they're white. 

Topher

Topher

hotrod98

If you're interested in a B5 bird, I know where there is one for sale. It's a six pack, 4-speed, non matching numbers, very solid car and very original, other than the block of course. I think it has all of it's original sheet metal. It was offered to me last year for 120K. They repainted it but I think they screwed the paint up when they buffed it. He's mentioned bringing it to me to straighten out but he just hasn't had the time I guess. It's a good looking car.
Located near Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Wildman

:eek2: blue around the headlights..!

pettybird

Quote from: Wildman on July 04, 2010, 04:58:33 PM
:eek2: blue around the headlights..!

so, what does an ORIGINAL bird nose look like with the masks removed?  by that I mean, what was the correct process for the body color/black paint?  were the doors and surrounding areas black ahead of time and then taped off at clairpointe?  i'm not ready to tear into my petty car juuust yet...

maxwellwedge

They were painted with Organasol.

wingedone

It's a beautiful car, but (and notations of "ALL THE SAME DETAILS LIKE A NEW CAR INSIDE JUST LIKE IT DID 40 YEARS AGO" always brings this out in me) isn't the rear seat missing an emblem in the middle of it?

70Sbird

Funny, I don't remember the speedometer and other gauge lettering being so "brown" on new cars either! :shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70Sbird on July 06, 2010, 01:33:58 PM
Funny, I don't remember the speedometer and other gauge lettering being so "brown" on new cars either! :shruggy:

Well,,, When he advertised Dana (my former '69 Charger 500), there was a description of it being 100% rust free..... (far from the truth and I call him out on it). So, it's apparent "liberties and embellishments" are taken......
Troy

Topher

I saw that in the pic too. Along with the painted wiper motor, and auto store battery. I'm going to be in Carlisle, so I'll be doing some shopping for my friend  :icon_smile_big:
Topher

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2010, 01:15:22 PM

but in what order?  noses all in body color, masks applied later, or black applied first, body color masked off to decal edge?  were the buckets/doors sprayed ahead of time, before assembly?

maxwellwedge

OK Doug - Now you are making me type! Normally, with Organosol, (I never spell it the same way twice!) the factory sprayed it and masked it before body color. Birds aren't the "normal" cars though so I have to do a little research before I feel I can comment factually.....stay tuned!

chargergirl

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 06, 2010, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: 70Sbird on July 06, 2010, 01:33:58 PM

Well,,, When he advertised Dana (my former '69 Charger 500), there was a description of it being 100% rust free..... (far from the truth and I call him out on it). So, it's apparent "liberties and embellishments" are taken......
The only place literary license should be allowed is in literature!
Trust your Woobie!

maxwellwedge

DB - No lies - the rust was free!  :eyes:   :D

pettybird

Quote from: wingedone on July 06, 2010, 11:26:34 AM
isn't the rear seat missing an emblem in the middle of it?

swami says this is a cheap ass PUI interior. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 06, 2010, 06:55:06 PM

OK Jim, took me about 5 seconds........... But then..............  :smilielol:
Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 06, 2010, 07:43:24 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 06, 2010, 06:55:06 PM

OK Jim, took me about 5 seconds........... But then..............  :smilielol:

Just as long as it took me to type!  ;D

maxwellwedge

Doug - I have changed my mind on the Organasol. After taking a good look at my car and talking to some others this is what I am thinking so far.
The black paint is actually what Chrysler refers to as "striping lacquer". It is too smooth to be Organasol. It is probably the same as the "optional" black on 69 Charger tail panels...going to confirm that.

The black around the headlight door openings appears to be on top of the body color. Want to check a couple more original cars to see if that was consistant.

Since all the headlight doors are black on the Bird, I wonder if they were already painted black before the nose was assembled? I have some checking on that as well.

So, a little more info than before.

Quote from: pettybird on July 06, 2010, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2010, 01:15:22 PM

but in what order?  noses all in body color, masks applied later, or black applied first, body color masked off to decal edge?  were the buckets/doors sprayed ahead of time, before assembly?

70Sbird

Ok back to the OP's questions on opinions on the car:
This looks to be a decent numbers matching car that experienced a complete repaint and rushed/shortcutted reassembly. the black sound deadner in the quarters should have been body color and the trunk pan looks to be installed with a minimum of finishing (partially finished plug welds and unfinished center seam). In my opinion some corners were cut and an in-person assessment would be in order. Once again, in my opinion the body itself looks to be sound, but there are a few too many minor wrinkles and omissions in the seats, headliner. and engine compartment to warrant calling this a true "restoration" look at the missing pieces (such as plug wire separators) and other things such as the dash gauges i mentioned earlier. This is the stuff that separates "right " cars from the "perfumed pigs". this can be a nice car if only it had undergone at least a little more attention and investment during the reassembly. I always wonder on a car for sale like this, if they skipped on $500 of accessories in the reassembly, what else was skimped on?

By the way that sure is a good looking guy in the picture in post #12 talking with his hands in front of the blue Superbird with the white top!
:rofl:

Scott Faulkner

62 Max

Take you're pick. ;D

Topher

You forgot to include your address.  :scratchchin:
Topher