News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any one know the....

Started by Topher, July 03, 2010, 08:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

OK Doug - Now you are making me type! Normally, with Organosol, (I never spell it the same way twice!) the factory sprayed it and masked it before body color. Birds aren't the "normal" cars though so I have to do a little research before I feel I can comment factually.....stay tuned!

chargergirl

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 06, 2010, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: 70Sbird on July 06, 2010, 01:33:58 PM
Funny, I don't remember the speedometer and other gauge lettering being so "brown" on new cars either! :shruggy:

Well,,, When he advertised Dana (my former '69 Charger 500), there was a description of it being 100% rust free..... (far from the truth and I call him out on it). So, it's apparent "liberties and embellishments" are taken......
The only place literary license should be allowed is in literature!
Trust your Woobie!

maxwellwedge

DB - No lies - the rust was free!  :eyes:   :D

pettybird

Quote from: wingedone on July 06, 2010, 11:26:34 AM
isn't the rear seat missing an emblem in the middle of it?

swami says this is a cheap ass PUI interior. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 06, 2010, 06:55:06 PM

OK Jim, took me about 5 seconds........... But then..............  :smilielol:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 06, 2010, 07:43:24 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 06, 2010, 06:55:06 PM

OK Jim, took me about 5 seconds........... But then..............  :smilielol:

Just as long as it took me to type!  ;D

maxwellwedge

Doug - I have changed my mind on the Organasol. After taking a good look at my car and talking to some others this is what I am thinking so far.
The black paint is actually what Chrysler refers to as "striping lacquer". It is too smooth to be Organasol. It is probably the same as the "optional" black on 69 Charger tail panels...going to confirm that.

The black around the headlight door openings appears to be on top of the body color. Want to check a couple more original cars to see if that was consistant.

Since all the headlight doors are black on the Bird, I wonder if they were already painted black before the nose was assembled? I have some checking on that as well.

So, a little more info than before.

Quote from: pettybird on July 06, 2010, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2010, 01:15:22 PM
They were painted with Organasol.

but in what order?  noses all in body color, masks applied later, or black applied first, body color masked off to decal edge?  were the buckets/doors sprayed ahead of time, before assembly?

70Sbird

Ok back to the OP's questions on opinions on the car:
This looks to be a decent numbers matching car that experienced a complete repaint and rushed/shortcutted reassembly. the black sound deadner in the quarters should have been body color and the trunk pan looks to be installed with a minimum of finishing (partially finished plug welds and unfinished center seam). In my opinion some corners were cut and an in-person assessment would be in order. Once again, in my opinion the body itself looks to be sound, but there are a few too many minor wrinkles and omissions in the seats, headliner. and engine compartment to warrant calling this a true "restoration" look at the missing pieces (such as plug wire separators) and other things such as the dash gauges i mentioned earlier. This is the stuff that separates "right " cars from the "perfumed pigs". this can be a nice car if only it had undergone at least a little more attention and investment during the reassembly. I always wonder on a car for sale like this, if they skipped on $500 of accessories in the reassembly, what else was skimped on?

By the way that sure is a good looking guy in the picture in post #12 talking with his hands in front of the blue Superbird with the white top!
:rofl:

Scott Faulkner

62 Max

Take you're pick. ;D

Topher

You forgot to include your address.  :scratchchin:
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com