News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Temp Gauge Not Working???

Started by devjas, July 08, 2010, 02:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devjas

I just had my cluster rewired and the guy who did it is now not answering my phone calls..Anyway, the temp gauge does not work, before I take it out i was wandering if it could be the sending unit. Can someone explain to me where it would be located and procedure to check it myself..This is my first posting and any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 1969 Charger RT SE 440 magnum. Thanks

Khyron

440 temp sensor should be located toward the fron tof your engine block. front left I believe, it's real cheap.... check teh wires going to it first...

also, reach behind the cluster where the wires connect and make sure it's all the way in, it will be upper right side faceing it, left from the back of teh cluster.

Good luck

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

histoy

There's a quick way to determine if the gauge or sending unit is at fault.
1. disconnect the wire from the sending unit located on the water pump housing.
2. insert a grounding wire onto the connection and attach it to a good ground.
3. go inside the car and turn the ignition switch to the "on" position.
4. the temp gauge should go to max temp.  If it does, then the temp gauge should be OK.  Buy a new sending unit at any parts store.  (Don't leave the key on too long once the gauge goes up).
5. if the gauge doesn't move, there could be 2 things wrong.
    a. there is a disconnect (open circuit) in the wire between the gauge and the sending unit.  You can check this out with a test light.
    b. the gauge is broken

devjas

Thanks for all your help. I will try all these tips out this weekend...

LargerCharger383

same problem, great info, thanks!

matchek

I know this thread it 11 years old, but did y'll get your temp sensors to work?
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

Kern Dog

Typical of some people....They join a forum to ask a question, they get the help they need then disappear like a selfish prick.

matchek

Hey Kern - thank you for your support!  I sent them messages too in the event the don't get reply notifications. Maybe some day they will open them.
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine