News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wing cars

Started by rattlehead_74, July 13, 2010, 10:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlehead_74

hi,  just a quick question, did all the wing cars have the nose cone,,or were some made with just the wing??? ive seen a few here and there without the nose,just wondering if that was a factory built car or not ,,may be a dumb question .....???? my apoligies if so,,, thanks

A383Wing

All wing cars were made with nose cone...however, some Superbirds had the noses taken off at the dealer because they didn't sell like they thought they would.....so those looked like regular Road Runners with a wing on the rump

<someone will correct me if I'm way off base here>

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on July 13, 2010, 11:15:56 PM
All wing cars were made with nose cone...however, some Superbirds had the noses taken off at the dealer because they didn't sell like they thought they would.....so those looked like regular Road Runners with a wing on the rump

I do believe most of the "converted" Superbirds to Road Runners had the wings taken off too (at least all the ones I've heard about)... It was a combination of both the large wing and nose cone that most people disliked. Remember, back in the day, these cars were thought of as anomalies that  didn't look good. Those that did like the NASCAR look pretty much bought the Daytonas.. By the time the Superbirds showed up at the dealerships, not only did it have a smaller number of interested buyers (back to Daytona purchases), but Plymouth had to sell nearly 4 times as many... I remember stories of three Superbirds being converted to Road Runners at Palm Beach Chrysler/Plymouth in West Palm Beach...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on July 13, 2010, 11:08:18 PM

I think they had the noses and wings removed to sell as road runners

lots of people have put wings on regular  b-bodys and also when some of these cars were wrecked in the front I have seen several pictures of back in the day when they just put standard front clips on them .  Was hard to find noses or they were more money then the owner wanted to spend .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

rattlehead_74

Just curious.Was thinking about wingin my car without the nose  thanks!   Dont know why i just like the wing ,,I saw (years ago) at a gas station a primer black 69 charger with just the wing on it and thought it was the coolest thing,,, Anyone own one like this? Pictures? 

moparstuart

my buddys 69 with danes solid aluminum wing on it

moparstuart

:drool5:

mauve66

i thought those were hollow wings....
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

moparstuart

he made the solid one first and then upgraded them later to exact copy's in hollow .

I had the solid one and then i sold it and bought the correct one .

moparstuart

:drool5:

rattlehead_74

Wow thats nice looking ,Thanks moparstuart :icon_smile_big:...........Ive been doing some digging,,(search function) and found this topic has been discussed before! HHHMMMMM Imagine That! LOL Anyways ....It seems to me, the car has to have just the right color combo for this (wing-thing) to be pulled off and look good ...The white charger i thought looked great as some of the others not so well ...any ways ..heres the previous post ,,,thanks alot for the help!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57566.0.html

moparstuart

my signature has my 69 charger years ago with a wing just setting on it before i owned it  

rattlehead_74

Would that be the light blue one?   Did you ever bolt it down?

moparstuart

Quote from: rattlehead_74 on July 14, 2010, 09:07:22 PM
Would that be the light blue one?   Did you ever bolt it down?
I have one for it but its not on it yet , I am still collection parts fr the full daytona conversion , its the same car that is now red .

rattlehead_74

Youve got a nice collection there,,,that red i believe is the factory color of my 69 ...beautiful color :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: rattlehead_74 on July 14, 2010, 09:19:33 PM
Youve got a nice collection there,,,that red i believe is the factory color of my 69 ...beautiful color :2thumbs:
no it is viper red , 

Arigmaster

I put my old one together without the nose...

The advantage was it fit in the garage...

A383Wing

yea...my Daytona & Pontiac don't fit in the attached garage to the house....guess they didn't think of 19'+ cars in '67 when they built my house

65post

Quote from: moparstuart on July 14, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

I love the look but would it look better with CHARGER in the stripe?  Done in the same manner as the DAYTONA was.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

moparstuart

Quote from: 65post on July 16, 2010, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 14, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

I love the look but would it look better with CHARGER in the stripe?  Done in the same manner as the DAYTONA was.
:yesnod: :yesnod: it does look a little plain , he recently did own a real daytona he sold to pay off his house and retire, so at some point it may grow a nose   :shruggy:

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5:

moparstuart

:popcrn:

moparstuart

:popcrn:  mine

moparstuart

:slap: