News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fiberglass bulge hood with air grabber

Started by monty76, December 19, 2005, 11:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty76

Ok, here are the pics from the fiberglass bulge hood with airgrabber I got from show cars out of canada. Thefirst set are of the the excess fiberglass that had to be removed from the vents, the bare spot on the scoop, the voids right next to it and the void from where the hood pins was on thier mold. All of this had to be fixed before it could be prepped for paint. I call and asked what the deal was with this. The shop said to sand out the vents myself and the qoute the shop gave to fix it was inflated($375).  I've never had a fiberglass body part. Maybe I'm over re-acting but I didn't expect to have to fix the hood prior to paint. Along with the fiberglass work that needed to be done it seems the also glassed in the back of one of the bolt holes for the hood latch. Plus the used the wrong size bolts. Had to go smaller on the hood, latch and hood release.

monty76

monty76

the top of the airgrabber

'CUDA360

Looks normal to me...
Whenever you get new fiberglass you always have to do stuff like that. My last 'glass hood had no vents at all and the fenders were 3 inches too long at the door seam. (they told me they do that on purpose in case I need to lengthen the wheelbase??)

Be real carefull working out the hood latch and release too 'cause those 'glass hoods fly really high...

don't ask me how I know that

monty76

under side of the hood, the shop said to re-inforce the airgrabber by adding a metal backing to the bottom of the scoop. I'm guessing they are talking about the little "foot" at the bottom edge of the scoop that contacts the hood when it opens

monty76

I added hood pins in addition to the hood latch. Just in case the hood decided to go airborne on me. Plus they hellped to pull down the corners some, got rid of the warpage. This pic was from before I added the pins.

monty76

I also reworked the hood latch spring. The original one was too strong. Got this one from the hardware store. Had to remove the hood hinge springs. The hood is susposed to be stong enough for the springs...not to sure about that. Anybody try a-body springs?

Chryco Psycho

I have never heard much good from buyers of Showcars stuff

doctorpimp

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 20, 2005, 02:40:54 AM
Really?
Has anyone else bought stuff from them?
I was thinking about getting the same hood.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

TruckDriver

Quote from: monty76 on December 20, 2005, 12:19:31 AM
The hood is susposed to be stong enough for the springs...not to sure about that. Anybody try a-body springs?

Year One has AAR & Challenger TA hood springs which are for fiberglass hoods for those cars. I was told to use those if I go with a glass hood.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

andy74

Quote from: doctorpimp on December 20, 2005, 09:02:26 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 20, 2005, 02:40:54 AM
Really?
Has anyone else bought stuff from them?
I was thinking about getting the same hood.
me too,oh crap-ill never get a damn bulge hood

Rolling_Thunder

ANY fiberglass hood will need work to look perfect
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

monty76

I figured the hood would need some work. Just wasn't thinking that much work. The vent are what realy pissed me of. The photo shows the driver's side vents. All that gray/white junk had to be sanded out. Ok, fine, if both sides were like that then I would have given in some. But the passengers side needed no work at all, it was fine. As it is I just had them all filled in. Dind't see why I should keep them since they were cosmetic on this hood. Galssing in the back of the bolt hole for the hood latch was no fun either. I was wondering why there were just 3 bolts there and 4 holes(hood latch and hood release). To top it all of it took them almost 4 months to get the hood to me. I was told 6-8 weeks. I sent the money on 13 July and got the hood the first week of November. I know I know, but still :violin:

hemihead

Go with the T/A - AAR hood springs, they should be Ok.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

1971SE440

I'm in process of blocking out my fiberglass six pack hood. Should be painted and installed in the next couple of weeks. Using stock hinges in the back without the springs and hood pins in the front. Will upload photos when done.

my73charger

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

andy74

i am still looking at the fiberglass hoods, i want a bulge with no air grabber

phat69charger

Contact these guys and see if they can get the Hood you need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-68-69-Dodge-Charger-Bolt-on-Hood-Fiberglass_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33646QQitemZ8024523017QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Tamraz's Parts Discount Warehouse
10022 South Bode Road
Plainfield, Illinois 60585-8776
1-800-442-4601 (Within the United States)
1-630-904-4500 (Outside the United States)
Mon-Fri 8-5, Sat 9-2 Central Standard Time

my73charger

I actually really like my hood, I have a flat hood with a Challenger TA hood scoop mounted on it.  I thought about finding a fiberglass bolt on flat hood and getting another TA scoop to set it up with in the interest of shedding some weight on this heavy beast.

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

The Ghoul

Quote from: andy74 on December 29, 2005, 02:24:47 PM
i am still looking at the fiberglass hoods, i want a bulge with no air grabber
http://vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm
nothing but good reports about them.
Even if you want to pin it on buy the bolt on hood.
The pin ons have no internal structure work to them they are just the outer skin.

Charger1973

Any more pics of the finished hood monty?  Id be interested to see them.  How do you like the overall quality now that its finished? 

hemi-hampton

I had a Friend order a Custom made hood from them, Took a long time to have made, months longer then they said. So my buddy getting nervous of a scam Talked me into Driving him out there for a Surprise Visit. Long Drive Detroit to Toronto. BUT, We were showed the work in progress & from what I seen it was a high Quality job. Impressed. Never did see once delivered (long story) Working in a Body Shop I've seen some Fibergalss parts needing lots of work to some needing not much work like a Custom Scooped Ford Truck Fiberglass hood I just did at the shop 2 days ago, Surprisingly the fine tune Bodywork, Priming & Sanding allready done when pulled from Box :o :icon_smile_big: LEON.

dkn1997

I was looking at that vfn website.  Is that 55 chevy body the same one used on hotrod tv when they built that 55 chevy from basically a catalog?  I know they used a glass body on that.  I saw an episode recently of the finished product, looked sick and they were street driving it.

I wonder if that would be possible for a cuda/challenger/charger?  have fatman or someone else make a full tube frame for it and bolt on a spanking new glass body,
RECHRGED