News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BIG WILLIE DAYTONA

Started by 65post, December 19, 2005, 11:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

Has any body out there ever seen the old TV episode Adam 12 when the boys were cracking down on street racing ?In one shot there was a daytona in a line up of cars in the pits.Was this the Big Willie daytona?
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Ghoste

A long time since I saw it but a buddy of mine has it on videotape so I'll see if I can borrow it and watch it again.

69_500

I believe that Big Willie had 3 different Daytona's. I know he had the King and Queen cars, but I believe he also had a 440 car as well. There is a gentleman who is in Kentucky who is a huge Big Willie fan, and knows quite a bit of the history behind his cars. I'll have to do some looking but I know I have his name around here somewhere.

greenpigs

In Two Lane Blacktop the opening scenes they show Big Willies Daytona doing a burnout. I have an article about him and he had 3 I think also. The King Daytona the Queen Daytona his wife drove and a stock Daytona. The queen Daytona was destroyed and in the article Wilie said he gave it to a farmer, well after he stripped it of anything usefull. As far as I know he still has the two others, but the King daytona is in rough shape.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

blackcharger

MCG did a story a few years ago about a guy getting Willie's 440 Daytona that he used for towing. Was in pretty good shape for sitting in his yard for a number of years.

Dave

hemi68charger

I've talked to the gentleman who had the car as of a year ago.. I've talked to him about buying a F6 Daytona he had. He sent me pictures of the "Big Willlie" Dodge.......... I'm sure he still has it for he knew exactly the history of the car....  Cool guy....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

That 440 Big Willie car was at the Monster Mopar show in 2004.  Was the owner's name Scott?  Seemed like a nice guy.  Car was a little rough, but driveable and a VERY neat piece of history.

One of the Mopar folklore legends is that Big Willie's Orange 4-speed HemiDaytona was left too long in an acid tank (to lighten the sheet metal) and was essentially junked.  That was J9G356523.  His other HemiDaytona (the Queen?) was J9G356525, F6 Black interior, console automatic car.  Both were listed as destroyed even back in 1979.

THE CHARGER PUNK

can anyone post pics of the big red hemi from 2 lane black top plz(which one of big willies was it, the king or the hemi 4-speed car???-MATT

nascarxx29

I seen that episode of Adam 12 .The guy was called Big charley a spoof on Big Willie Robinson name I guess.And bandstand Dick Clark owned the dragstrip.The 2 hemi daytonas Queen and King hemi daytonas or there remains are somewhere maybe in pieces?? Gary French has the 440 international brother hood of street racers daytona.Aka Big Willies 440 daytona.That car has the hood thats seen on the big willie daytona in the start of 2 lane blacktop.Both of those hemi daytonas .Show as being sold new from Warren Fox motors.The 440 daytona sold new from Cherry Hill Dodge
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701