News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6.1 Hemi Conversion

Started by dwitzel, July 30, 2010, 07:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwitzel

I am thinking about a 6.1 Hemi conversion in my '69 RT/SE. I have found a dropout engine, engine harness and ecm and auto trans. I just wanted to know if there is anything else that I will need from the donor vehicle (abs/security module, etc). Also has anyone used the oem trans? How do you manage the factory speedo? Thanks Dan

SRT-440

check out these guys..they specialize in swaps like this and have the motor mounts, trans mounts and can help you with the PCM work and tons more.  :2thumbs:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Rolling_Thunder

Do you mean the factory 68 or the newer speedo ?    If you want to use the older speedo it is cable driven...     new trans is electric.  New trans is girthy and will require cutting the floor up.  I would suggest a 727 with a GV but that's just me...      you can also use a SB 727 or even a 904...     

The PCM will require some work -  flashing out downstream O2 sensors, and getting rid of the TCM links...         overall it is not REALLY bad...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dwitzel

Thanks, I guess I will rethink this trans idea. I just happened to find a complete drop out and thought it would be a slick package. Thanks for the insight!  Dan

66FBCharger

I would assume the conversion could be done with a factory 5 or 6 speed?
What is a ballpark price to do this, if I did the majority of the work myself and used parts that were used not new?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

dwitzel

I found a engine and trans complete drop out with harness and ecms for 6500.00

Challenger340

The 6.1 should make a pretty decent "update" swap with all the benefits of FI and the Computer for driving :2thumbs:

Seems to be lots of people going that route these days ?

On another note,
I know all the benefits to the newer Gen Engines, driveability, mileage, etc., etc. but as far as a "performance Pkg" upgrade, I think it's important to remember when swapping that the Engine is only 50% of the battle, the CAR & Suspension etc., being the other "Half" ?

I'm still "pulling" on the new HEMI Challengers in a Drag Race, with GET THIS, a 9.5:1 C.R. "pump Gas", Hyd Flat Tappet Cam, Cast Iron "J" Headed 340 in a 72 Challenger !
ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY !

I can NOT turn with them
I can NOT corner with them
I have nowhere near the "driveability" of the new Challengers
but,
"mano eh mano" in a straight line, I can pull away from them, every time !
Plus,
My Rumpity-bump Camshaft sounds far better, IMO.

Seems a 400hp 340 in a 3600lb OLD Car, can still "trump" a 425hp 6.1 in a 4,000lb plus NEW Car, in a straight line anyways.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

Why put a fiat engine into a classic car  :Twocents: :shruggy:

dwitzel

Guess your not a resto-mod kinda guy! :coolgleamA: Just think of that 6.1 with a XV Level -II front and rear suspension.

Paul G

If you go for it please post a lot of pics and details on how the install goes, any problems you may have to overcome, etc. There are lots of us who would like to do the same thing. It's just not as easy for us to restomod as it is for the Chevy guys. You can put an LS motor in anything pretty much without too much difficulty.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

thedodgeboys

It's a fun swap well worth the effort if you want one.  :Twocents:
I have the 6 speed in my car  :coolgleamA: 4.10 gears out back and 1850 rpms at 70 in 6th gear  :cheers:

Let me know if you want more info  ;D

dwitzel

Looks great! Was that the 6-spd auto? How much floor mod did you have to do? Is that in a stock K-Frame?   Dan

dwitzel

I forgot to ask how you managed the speedo.

Challenger340

Quote from: dwitzel on August 04, 2010, 07:22:19 AM
Guess your not a resto-mod kinda guy! :coolgleamA: Just think of that 6.1 with a XV Level -II front and rear suspension.

Nah, I would do the resto-mod if I could, I think it would be far nicer to drive, but I just can't!

Mines a fully numbers matching Engine & Trans "1 of 43" produced 340 Car. It would ruin the $$ Value going resto-mod ?
So,
all I can do is "safely" hot-rod the original stuff, and drive it.
If I ever do wanna switch back to completely stock, all I have to do is change Cam & Headers, because I'm even still using the Stock Intake & Thermo-Bog, Air Cleaner, etc., etc.
Nonetheless,
it can still PULL the new Challengers in a straight line, which is nice, considering mine handles like a wheel barrow !

No matter,
as guys start "chipping" the New stuff, and usual upgrades, I'm sure I'll lose the advantage, as it should be.

But for now, I still "enjoy" the classic ride, steering, smell, & quirks that go with the Vintage Ride, SOUND, and genre.

If I wan't a "neon" ride & handling, I guess I'd go buy one, to each their own ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Paul G

You see, my 72 would be a perfect resto-mod platform. It was a 318, no biggie and besides the original drive train is long gone. No numbers here, just a beautiful body and interior. Now if I can someday caugh up the coin, and the find the energy to do a modern conversion I would be happy.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

thedodgeboys

Quote from: dwitzel on August 05, 2010, 07:19:29 AM
Looks great! Was that the 6-spd auto? How much floor mod did you have to do? Is that in a stock K-Frame?   Dan
it started out that way and then I changed over to an alterktion  :icon_smile_cool:

I had to trim about 2 inches from the passenger side floor pan and widen the tunnel and raise it about 1.5 inches it wasn't bad. an auto tunnel would be way nicer than my 4 speed tunnel was for finish but its ok.

I finally settled on a t56 magnum tr6060 6 speed same (only better) as the 2010's it has a cable out and a electric pickup for the speedo. the new ones and the auto have nothing the speedo runs off the wheels. you can run a drive shaft pickup for a speedo if you go that rout.  ;D

dwitzel

But I just got done with my floor!!! :brickwall: What made you choose the alterktion over the mag-force or XV.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: dwitzel on August 06, 2010, 07:44:31 AM
But I just got done with my floor!!! :brickwall: What made you choose the alterktion over the mag-force or XV.

Over XV was price and availability of parts and service. Bill rocks and always has what he sales in stock.

Magnum force too much stress on the inner fenders if you don't run a full cage not good, the alterktion has a brace for the coil overs built into the K frame.

autodynamics

I hear Autodynamics here has done this conversion almost 5 years already .....

Rolling_Thunder

Yeah Pete   haha    Mine STILL isn't on the road...    but that is due to my stubborn nature...      still working on these brakes and finding a damn affordable wheel that looks good and will clear my brakes.   :pity:

autodynamics

Looking back at all these guys with questions about the conversions makes me remember what I went through to get it Working . 10k miles later I'm still tweaking it to make it perfect by my standards....but the package orks real well. I'm actually thinking about swapping for the bigger Mopar performance 426.  You can never have enough power lol.....hurry up with those brakes already ..get that beast on the ground and enjoy your west coast weather!!!

Rolling_Thunder

yeah yeah yeah...     i got a new job with DHS a while back so I've been saving some coin for the wheels...    the brakes are coming along - just slowly...       

The whole perfectionist thing is not solely a trait you possess  -  I have that problem as well...    I am looking to finish up the brakes (decided to go with a hydro-boost unit) - but as usual I cant just bolt something one...    I am piecing my hydroboost kit together...    rebuilt booster - but has the incorrect pushrod length for the master cylinder - so...     I am currently disassembling it to have the rod turned down on a lathe to the correct length.   I got the power steering pump reservoir figured out - so its just getting everything mounted and routing some lines as cleanly as possible...     all in all it'll be worth it...     

I plan on keeping the 6.1L...    the 426 sounds cool...     but I figure I'm into my conversion so cheap that I could get it up and running - then maybe add some forced induction to it if I think i need it    haha      :yesnod:

autodynamics

Sounds good!!! When do you expect to have it finished?  Did I tell you I'm having a carbon fiber driveshaft made up?..I should have it this week ...

Rolling_Thunder

I read somewhere you were getting a GF driveshaft -  one of the threads here...     

I gave up on a "finishing date" for the beast...    its been 6 years - another couple months won't kill me...      The biggest hold up is the wheel company not giving me the information I'm requesting...           I'm probably going to finish up the wiring and install the hydroboost and get her running...     deal with the big brakes down the road...    If money wasnt an issue right now I'd just order some of the wheels I really like and be done with it...     unfortunately I cant justify $800 a wheel...    so...    I've mocked up the big brakes on a spindle...    only issue is the caliper clearance to the back of the wheels...   

:scratchchin:

autodynamics

What brake kit were You doing? If all goes well I wantvto upgrade mine to bears 6 piston set up...post some pics I forgot where you were at ...