News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

linelock?

Started by Mrs.Caveman, March 02, 2011, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs.Caveman

hi guys!could you guys explain how i should picture it?what is it and what parts and where it goes!i know its for burnouts and lock the front tires so the back can spin!how does it work?thanks,Veronika

Cooter

Don't believe in 'em. IMO, you have enough motor, you don't need to lock the front tires in order to do a burnout, but some people feel the need for gagets...

Basically, there are a number of ways to do this, but the most common is to install a valve be in electrically controlled or mechanically into the front brake line and when the ledal is pushed to apply the brakes, you simply flip the lever or hit the switch and the front wheels remain locked...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mrs.Caveman

thanks Cooter!Veronika

ChargerST

Isn't a line lock used on the rear line? when activated it shuts off the rear brakes - that way when you press the brake pedal the rear wheels can spin freely as brake force is only applied to the front wheels.

1BAD68

Thats the ideal setup.
Last summer at the track I did a smokey burnout in the waterbox without a line lock.
Must have heated up the brakes too much, I had trouble slowing down at the end of my run.

Hissing Cobra

I've got Hurst's Roll Control hooked up to the front brake lines on my Mustang Cobra so that when I press the button, it locks the front brakes and allows the rear brakes to remain "open". It works quite well and allows me to do 8 to 10 second burnouts when I go racing - without damaging the rear brakes or drifting forward, out of the burnout box. Basically, I get into the water box and spin the tires a couple of revolutions to "wet" them. I then pull up into the burnout box, step on the brakes and press/hold the button to grab the front brakes. I then release the brake pedal, put it in 2nd gear, rev the engine to 5,000 rpms, dump the clutch, and count to 8 or 10 (by 1,000th's) while the rear tires are frying. From there, I release the button and slide forward to the line. It works wonders and without it, I'd never be able to do a proper burnout good enough to heat the tires the way that they need to be heated for maximum traction. I can leave the line at 5,200 rpms without spinning the tires at all, on my way to a mid 12 second pass. If you're not racing with sticky tires, either on the track or the street, it's not really a good investment to make. I can attest to that because I never use it on the street. My Radial T/A's can't stick during a regular takeoff and burning them off makes it even worse. For sticky tires though, definitely the way to go! :2thumbs: Here's a video with it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzntTKevg4M
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

FLG

Yes better to plumb it on the rear lines, press button than press brake that way you can also move around if you want too because since the rears are blocked off the fluid is only traveling to the front when you press the pedal down.

Hissing Cobra

Here's the installation instructions for the Hurst Roll Control. We plumbed it to the front wheels per the instructions, now I'm wondering if we did it wrong? :shruggy:

1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

FLG

Its just preferance cobra  :2thumbs:

terrible one

I've heard of it being done both ways, but would think the front would be my preference. Use it to hold fluid pressure on the front brakes, not to keep fluid from getting to the rears, you know? Plumbing it to the fronts, you don't have to keep your foot on the brake pedal while doing the burnout like you would having it plumbed to the rear. That makes a big difference when you have a clutch pedal.

Ghoste

I prefer it plumbed to the front and whether some people think it's just a need for gadgets or not I have always found them to be a safer way to control my routine when heating up tires.

BrianShaughnessy

It's called ROLL CONTROL for a reason...

Not really necessary for auto trans cars.     Except for burnouts.

For a stick car you use it to keep rolling thru the lights waiting for the green.    Also helpful street driving when trying to take off from a stop sign on a hill.    And burnouts  :drive:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kamkuda

Quote from: Ghoste on March 09, 2011, 12:59:14 AM
I prefer it plumbed to the front and whether some people think it's just a need for gadgets or not I have always found them to be a safer way to control my routine when heating up tires.

I agree.   :cheers:  I don't think most drag racers think it is a gadget.