News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is anyone reproducing the broadcast sheets?

Started by rainbow4jd, July 31, 2010, 01:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 10, 2010, 08:22:21 PM
If a particular car has these originality merits as #matching driveline door vin decal 1/4 vin and its own unique superbird vin .Along with the registrys that can back up a cars history and known prior wingcar ownership of that vin.And added bonus like dealer paperwork orig owner pictures history etc.Then I have no reservations with missing repaced.Fender tag or buildsheet.The buildsheet was only a order of assembly of components.If a car has these following merits.A copy buildsheet or missing buildsheet .Not going devalue or red flag it .You would though need to have buildsheet info to replace missing or rusted fender tag

Well, I have the original fender tag (but now it seems that even original fender tags are being questioned according to some responses on this thread). i.e. the "snobbery effect" - if it doesn't have ABCDEFGH to "my" satisfaction then its not as good as mine.

I simply go back to my original point - a prospective buyers opinion is the only one that counts.  They will pay money for what is important to them, and no one else's opinion matters.

That being said, as I am finally getting to the point financially that I can enjoy my $2,500 investment from 1983, and a $50K concourse level restoration, I want to have the personal fulfillment of feeling like I was "there".   I want to display my car with a fake window sticker, I want a repro broadcast sheet stuck in the seat springs, I want to imagine that it was me walking into that dealership in the spring of 1971 and saying, "that car's been sitting a while - what's the best deal you'll give me?"  Before I sell it - I just want that moment of "I'm finally done with this car - I can't do any more".

mauve66

in this economy you won't be getting your money back after a correct restoration, it will always cost more to restore correctly than the car is worth on an auction block

correct restoration = paint dabs, grease marks, correct coating on all fasteners and the correct type of fasteners, etc,

restified = similar to original with or without original parts +/- any additions per owners choices

modified = vague resemblance to original vehicle

and of course the omni present , this is my .02
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nascarxx29

:Twocents: I dont condemn the guy for wanting a ultimate portfolio to showcase aside his car.Id want have pictures as is thru the finished resto.All superbird factory brochures window sticker buildsheet. 1970 Newspaper from dealer listing superbirds 70 shop manual salesman catalogs ordersheet.Purchasers invoice if you were ordering the car yourself for the first time to display.Personally I cant see enough documentation.I went as far on my friends old superbird to hit library for newspapers ad and later found at a flea market vintage 70 phonebook with dealer full page ad
My friend Joe C who bought it in 73 later sold it to Rocky D. Fl or SC.These ad are the dealer and the car advertised as stock number #2749 appeared on the sales paperwork that went with the car.Even these ads could be manipulatd to portray a certain car .Ive got countless numbers of these ads saved on my computer .Need one just ask http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59680.0.html

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

I might have your states dealer and car in my collection?

Alaskan_TA

QuoteI simply go back to my original point - a prospective buyers opinion is the only one that counts.

Very true.

Case in point......

Quite a few folks (lets call them potential buyers) come to me when they see cars I know something about for sale. I will look the ads for them over while talking to them on the phone, or through email. If I see a fake fender tag, window sticker, broadcast sheet, re-stamped numbers, I tell them & they look for another car.

Why?

Because the people that do those things (especially when they do not mention it) can not be trusted.

It is very hard to get your money back out of any car if fake documentation of any kind soils the car's & seller's reputations, potential buyers know that.

Why limit your market with fake anything?

Occasionally, folks do buy cars with fake items / re-stamps & contact me later. I encourage those folks to get their money back right away & if the seller does not give it to them sue.

Buyer beware? Yes, buyers beware of shady sellers.

nascarxx29

Every car is a case by case research is paramount so you dont get burned and get legal issues involved.Thats why this board Barry and wingcar club members are a valuable asset to the hobby to police certain cars .My example :Twocents:  on my daytona had severly rusted fender tag so it was replaced.Though I had near crumbling original in a envelope .And orig owner
couldnt find window sticker so I had did one .And its description it does mention the window sticker reissued in the sales description.But those 2 details didnt devalue or red flag it as a car to beware of.Due to the fact everyone knows the car and it history
http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site/Dodge_Daytona_292
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61276.0.html

rainbow4jd

Quote from: mauve66 on August 10, 2010, 08:39:19 PM
in this economy you won't be getting your money back after a correct restoration, it will always cost more to restore correctly than the car is worth on an auction block

correct restoration = paint dabs, grease marks, correct coating on all fasteners and the correct type of fasteners, etc,

restified = similar to original with or without original parts +/- any additions per owners choices

modified = vague resemblance to original vehicle

and of course the omni present , this is my .02

that's why I am looking at 2013 or so before selling.  I'm on a ten year window for retirement - so I can ride out the market and finally enjoy my car after nearly 30 years of owning it and only putting about 5,000 miles on it.

Ghoste

Well since this apparently just an intellectual discussion of opinions (of which it seems not many are shared with you) I will offer my final one on the topic and let it go.
My opinion is that you are creating, not reproducing since you don't have a full copy of the original to reproduce and no matter how sure you are of the blanks you are still going to be guessing, a broadcast sheet.  You are doing this for one reason and only for one reason, because you KNOW that it raises the value of the car.  If someone is clever enough to ask you then you are prepared to tip your hand.  And finally, all of these things together make you a fraudulent dealer to buy from at worst and a deceptive one at best.  Argue all you want about it meaning nothing but odd that you also like to talk about parting fools from their money.  Enjoy your retirement but I sincerely hope you don't do any more cars this way in your ten year window. 
That is what I think.

FJ5WING

Ill fall back on the reason you stated your feelings about "just wanting the sheet". :icon_smile_blackeye:
Why not just roll it up and throw it away when you decide to flip this car?  :nana:
wingless now, but still around.

Old Moparz

Quote from: FJ5WING on August 11, 2010, 08:42:31 AM
Ill fall back on the reason you stated your feelings about "just wanting the sheet". :icon_smile_blackeye:
Why not just roll it up and throw it away when you decide to flip this car?  :nana:

If he's flipping, buying in 1983 & selling in 2013 doesn't really work, he has to start letting go of things a lot faster.   :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

It's being restored to sell though.  If "flipping" isn't the accurate term in this case at least be clear on the motives.  The car is being restored so that it will bring a good dollar at auction.  The sheet is being created IMO to add to that bottom line.
The decision to flip or sell or divest for retirement or whatever you want to call it has already been made.

Redbird

Selling a car with a reproduction or fake broadcast sheet is just plain wrong, almost every month you can see similar results of this activity in the "Legal Files" of Sports Car Market Magzine.

To me, just as wrong is the use of reproduced door tags and reproduced pentastars on VIN tags. Sure I know someone has licensed them from Chrysler, but when I see a car that has the door jambs redone and then there is a perfect door sticker there-my thought is fake sticker and what else?. Again, just my opinion, is that a number of folks who make a lot of noise about a reproduction broadcast sheets will spend a few dollars to get the exact font for their VIN on a new door sticker. At that point Mopar collecting became just like Corvette collection to me, you have to have the right kind of reproduction documentation.

If something is lost to the past, it is unfortunate, but probably not life threatening.

The mopar hobby has gone down a pretty slippery slope for what is OK the past 20 years or so and a lot of folks, some very well known, have endorsed some kinds of reproduction documentation is OK and some isn't.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2010, 08:03:06 AM
Well since this apparently just an intellectual discussion of opinions (of which it seems not many are shared with you) I will offer my final one on the topic and let it go.
My opinion is that you are creating, not reproducing since you don't have a full copy of the original to reproduce and no matter how sure you are of the blanks you are still going to be guessing, a broadcast sheet.  You are doing this for one reason and only for one reason, because you KNOW that it raises the value of the car.  If someone is clever enough to ask you then you are prepared to tip your hand.  And finally, all of these things together make you a fraudulent dealer to buy from at worst and a deceptive one at best.  Argue all you want about it meaning nothing but odd that you also like to talk about parting fools from their money.  Enjoy your retirement but I sincerely hope you don't do any more cars this way in your ten year window. 
That is what I think.

appreciate your time in crafting your reply

Your point of creation has some intrigue - although I can't help wonder if the person who is "creating" replica Superbird scissors jacks falls into that same category.    Does having a replica jack increase the value, versus not having one?  Hmmm.... I would have to agree that it does.    And only for discussions sake - if I have a replica jack, what should be my strategy for honest disclosure be - a) show it and let them ask - presuming that they understand this is a "restored to like original" versus an "unrestored original" - OR - b) volunteer that its a repro jack.

My general thought - having just now considered that scenario (inspired by your reply) - I think I "volunteer" that its a repro jack - however, it is "fair game" to ensure the repro jack is as identical to original as possible.  i.e. identical reproduction but disclosure.  As I believe that is the intent of a repro part.

I had originally considered a less than "original appearing" broadcast sheet or one marked "reproduction" - and leave it to the buyers obvious eye to figure it out, but I'm currently leaning to "exact" reproduction with voluntary disclosure.  Although, its unlikely that I could ever be 100% accurate because some things like the build sequence number (or what ever you call it) is unique to each car.  I would only be guessing.

I do recognize that 100 years from now - there could be confusion as to original or repro, but that same confusion would no doubt exist with repro jack.   My point being - I treat both items equally in my approach.

I'm certain this thought will bring another round of "fraud" claims - because I understand some folks consider a broadcast sheet the most singularly valuable item of the car and don't at all view it as another replica part (as I do). 

But now you've got me wondering something else.... WHAT IF, I said.... "I intend to create a reproduction broadcast sheet, but I'll let someone else complete the information for me?"   Just for kicks, I bring my car to next years Wing Car reunion in Cleveland, you are there, we meet share a couple of beverages, and you decide what goes on my broadcast sheet?

My point being - is there a reasonable way to have a recreation made that doesn't invoke the whole spirit of "fraud, fraud, fraud?"   

I would venture to say there will be three view points.... 1. Those with original broadcast sheets now will want to maintain their exclusive club (and perceived value of their car)  and say "no".    2. Some will suggest "OK, with marked "reproduction" and 3. others will say "good idea", we just need a verification "team" - willing (for pay) - to come out, look at a car, and do the intel work (or do it only at the annual meet).

Gee whiz!   Thanks for an awesome and thought provoking reply!    My head is spinning with ideas!!!

This is a fantastic board!

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 11, 2010, 09:07:10 AM
Quote from: FJ5WING on August 11, 2010, 08:42:31 AM

If he's flipping, buying in 1983 & selling in 2013 doesn't really work, he has to start letting go of things a lot faster.   :lol:

That's for God's sake truth!   

I bought these cars at a time when I had NO MONEY.   The matching numbers Superbird, and 2 440-6 pack Cudas (both non-matching).   

I went to my hometown bank, talked to the bank president (at a time when you could still do those things) told him my dream and he agreed to loan me the money.   He gave me $2,500 first and said IF I paid that back in six months, he'd give me the rest for the other two cars.   The Superbird, was the first car I bought.

Together I paid, $2,500 for the Bird (it was totally disassembled and in pieces), the Green Cuda $1,500 - it was ready for a junkyard, and $2,500 for the Hemi Orange Cuda - the guy gave up on restoring it.   I also bought and sold along the way - a 440 Challenger RT/SE for $600 (that I should have kept), and a 69 Hemi GTX body only for $200 (that I should have put a Hemi in and resold, but I had all my money tied up in the other cars) - and another Superbird $6000 that I also should have kept (but that's where I got the money for my kid's college).

Then for 25 years they were in Kentucky in an old barn, followed by an old warehouse, followed by an old Bluegrass Army Depot quonset hut, followed by an old former body shop garage - all the time while I was working in Cincy, then Cleveland, then Pittsburgh.   The only time I drove the cars was when I went back to visit my mom and dad in Georgetown, KY.   

That's why I've only put 5,000 miles on the Superbird in roughly 30 years.  I was always scared to drive them too far, since I'm not a mechanic.   I rely on others and I never had the money to actually pay someone to get it right.

Then my son got a full 4 year ride to Carnegie Mellon University (as a Chemical Engineer) and all that money I had been saving for his college - I GOT TO KEEP!   That's why I finally want to do the restoration of my dreams (which includes the broadcast sheet and all the other paraphenalia I can find about the car).     Sure, I'll end up with about $50,000 in the car, but I just don't care - its what I want to do.

If my son or daughter had interest in the car, I would keep it - but they don't.  Not at all.  And its almost too valuable to drive - so I'll trailer queen it to the shows until I find somebody with the right price.   

My plan is to take me and my buddies, and the original owner, all out to Barrett Jackson for the sale (presuming I've not sold it elsewhere).... and just say "Baby, I enjoyed every minute of owning you - but its time for you to go to someone else"

My long term plans are to keep the Hemi Orange Six-Pack Cuda as essentially a "restored" daily RETIREMENT driver.

I hope folks now know "WHY" I can say "I just want it!" and mean it about the broadcast sheet - its part of a dream.

pettybird

Quote from: rainbow4jd on August 11, 2010, 04:32:02 PM
I do recognize that 100 years from now - there could be confusion as to original or repro, but that same confusion would no doubt exist with repro jack.   My point being - I treat both items equally in my approach.

This is where you're butting heads with everyone who has replied.  This is simply not the case, and you refuse to believe it.  We are either wondering why you're being hardheaded, or consider you a troll who's here for a fight and aiming to rip someone off.

My point being - is there a reasonable way to have a recreation made that doesn't invoke the whole spirit of "fraud, fraud, fraud?"   

Stay away from fake paperwork.  It is a "sacred cow" which is not the same as a bolt-on part.

I would venture to say there will be three view points.... 1. Those with original broadcast sheets now will want to maintain their exclusive club (and perceived value of their car)  and say "no".    2. Some will suggest "OK, with marked "reproduction" and 3. others will say "good idea", we just need a verification "team" - willing (for pay) - to come out, look at a car, and do the intel work (or do it only at the annual meet).

You will not find that either club will sanction fake paperwork.  Galen may, but the clubs won't.  If you intended to create a nice, crisp sheet, with the right font but OBVIOUSLY new, hey--that's cool.  I'd even ask for the editable file to have on hand in case I wanted one for my B5 car.  If you intend to do what the NCRS groupies do, soaking their papers in tea leaves, baking the sheets, selectively tearing them and artificially aging them to look "authentic" that's the problem.  Same with window stickers--i don't have a problem at all with laminated, bright white ones, but I don't feel like doubting every one I see once people start doctoring them.  I never want to see another C2 with paperwork again--I simply assume they're all fake, and that's a shame.

And if you get caught being coy about original or fake, the car's tainted forever.  Forget it.  It's known as a problem car, and people will stay away.  It's killed sales at both places I've worked at now.  Fake paperwork is the scarlet letter for cars. 

My last point--the internet NEVER forgets.  You take the car to B-J, and it'll show up on a forum, because people bring that stuff up.  A quick search reveals it didn't have its real broadcast sheet, and boom--it's everywhere.  This isn't a threat...simply look at some past threads for cars which are for sale.  Find the Y2 Daytona SE and you'll see what I mean.  "Oh, it's THAT car," is the reply. 

This thread, as well as your desire to own an authentic broadcast sheet, needs to die. 

Alaskan_TA

QuoteMy point being - is there a reasonable way to have a recreation made that doesn't invoke the whole spirit of "fraud, fraud, fraud?"

No, there is not.

For whatever it is worth I have a half sheet for my car plus some mouse shredded remains. Would I ever try to duplicate a whole one for it? No, I would not.  

hemigeno

The big difference between reproduction broadcast sheets and reproduction sheet metal or other ancillary components you've attempted to use to prop up your argument is this:  The latter items were not stamped or otherwise identified by the factory with any particular car's VIN or other information showing how the car was originally equipped.  

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your dreams and these cars in general, but you've totally dismissed the valid issues raised by others on this thread as merely the "have's" casting stones at the "have not's".  Your lack of emphasis on legitimate paperwork and documentation is your choice, but the vast majority of the market looks at that subject from a diametrically-opposite position.  Build your car the way you want to, enjoy it when it's done, and go ahead pretending that having non-reproduction documentation/paperwork is not important.  It's your world.

However... don't be surprised if, when you someday make your opinions on the subject clear, prospective buyers also place every other comment you'll try to make about your car in the same "yeah, right" category.

:Twocents:

Ghoste

No, there isn't.  As for any ridicululous attempt to justify your intent by comparing it to reproduction parts I can only return to my point that you are only doing it to inflate the value of the car.  You restore to raise the value.  Can you possibly deny that the "real collectors" you hold in such high regard aren't willing to pay a much higher premium for an original survivor car with it's original jack in place than they do for a restored car carrying a repro jack?  Of course not.  You are not even restoring the broadcast sheet.  As I said, you are creating a new one and guessing at the blanks and you are hoping no one will notice.  That part is the fruadulent part although I'm sure you will continue to disagree.  You are doing it to deceive buyers and that may not be fraud but it is dishonest.
I sincerely doubt that you aren't keenly aware of what you are up to.  I think you are more than intelligent enough to know the difference but your mind is made up to continue down this path and for whatever reason you have decided to play the troll here baiting anyone who doesn't agree that trying to falsely delude potential buyers isn't warm and fuzzy.
:rotz: :down:

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2010, 08:23:05 PM

No, there isn't.  As for any ridicululous attempt to justify your intent by comparing it to reproduction parts I can only return to my point that you are only doing it to inflate the value of the car.  You restore to raise the value.  Can you possibly deny that the "real collectors" you hold in such high regard aren't willing to pay a much higher premium for an original survivor car with it's original jack in place than they do for a restored car carrying a repro jack?  Of course not.  You are not even restoring the broadcast sheet.  As I said, you are creating a new one and guessing at the blanks and you are hoping no one will notice.  That part is the fruadulent part although I'm sure you will continue to disagree.  You are doing it to deceive buyers and that may not be fraud but it is dishonest.
I sincerely doubt that you aren't keenly aware of what you are up to.  I think you are more than intelligent enough to know the difference but your mind is made up to continue down this path and for whatever reason you have decided to play the troll here baiting anyone who doesn't agree that trying to falsely delude potential buyers isn't warm and fuzzy.
:rotz: :down:

Well, I've never found that having a different opinion makes someone a troll.   Afterall, half of America has a different opinion of our President every four years.

The other thing is that message boards like this often tend to become a collection of "like minded" believers - who vociferously run off anyone with a counter opinion.   I'm pretty much "run off" proof - and I presume that this thread has offered some level of entertainment value if nothing else.     

I'm glad I found this board and it is very useful and informative - having learned a lot more about Superbirds than I did when I was a member of DSAC way back in the early 80's.  The internet is a wonderful thing.

The opinions offered in opposition to my own... DO influence my intent and probable future actions.  In as much as I don't want to do anything that might potentially reduce the value of my car when I do sell it. 

That being said, I really think the differing opinions are absolutely illogical - placing far too much value on something I see as the equivalent of a "reproduction part".  Yes, there needs to be integrity in disclosure, which I DO support, but to suggest it simply cant morally be reproduced and then at the same time say you CAN morally reproduce a scissor jack or hard part - strikes me as hypocritical.   But that's just my opinion.  Like I've said, my moral compass stops at original matching number powertrain - but that's just me.  However, I am also pragmatic.  Thus, I temper my desire for all the cool stuff I've dreamed of, with the "how do I do that" to satisfy myself and not impact the value or credibility of my vehicle.

So, I'm probably going to take a shot at a new, crisp white, 8.5 x 11 reproduction with my website on the bottom so IF someone want's to buy a clearly marked reproduction I can sell it to them.   Heck, you even get a copy for free - or two, because you've been articulate, firm, and pretty much not a jerk in saying you disagree.  To me - that's a message board artist at work.  So I'm coming to you first with my "beta".   It'll make a good Christmas project.

Alaskan_TA

QuoteSo, I'm probably going to take a shot at a new, crisp white, 8.5 x 11 reproduction with my website on the bottom so IF someone want's to buy a clearly marked reproduction I can sell it to them. 

Any reproduction with Chrysler's name on it requires licensing from Chrysler to be able to legally sell it.

Best of luck, I will not hold my breath until you get it.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Quote from: rainbow4jd on August 11, 2010, 11:11:38 PM
So, I'm probably going to take a shot at a new, crisp white, 8.5 x 11 reproduction with my website on the bottom so IF someone want's to buy a clearly marked reproduction I can sell it to them.   Heck, you even get a copy for free - or two, because you've been articulate, firm, and pretty much not a jerk in saying you disagree.  To me - that's a message board artist at work.  So I'm coming to you first with my "beta".   It'll make a good Christmas project.

No, thank you.   You may consider my opinions hypocritical but you are a long way from tarnishing my personal integrity.

1972Rallye

I created an excel version for use as a tool to those who only have pieces of their original.  Then, I figured out that somebody was going to try and pass them off as fakes eventually, so I stopped after doing '69 - '73.  Anybody familiar with a broadcast sheet would know these are not real. They weren't meant to pass for real - only look close and be accurate (unlike the versions at moparts). The possibility they could be misrepresented as original made me scrap the whole idea.  It wasn't worth the damage to my reputation or the damage it could cause others.

The pic attached is of a '69 A12 car broadcast (my brother-in-laws car) taken from the original broadcast sheet info.  It was a fun exercise and nothing more...

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

This one on Moparts:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/

(bottom right hand corner) - wouldn't fool anybody either.  Although the boxes are fairly close, they are reversed on several lines.  Also, it is in full color - not correct for Superbirds.  This was the one being sold on ebay years back.  I suspect it was someone's pet project to provide inaccurate documents to the uneducated - the idea being that the "reproduction", when done, would be junk and easily recognized for what it is.

One more thing to keep in mind that I don't think has been brought up yet - broadcast sheets were not always accurate.  IF the one in your car actually was the one FOR your car and not a 4 door Satellite, there were mistakes made all the time.  The print on some lines could be off a column.  The parts were incorrectly coded.  The parts were not coded at all.  They ran out of one type of fan assembly or shock absorber and installed whatever was on hand.  In the end, you either have a complete original or you don't.  And the original may have deviated from the actual construction of your car.

If you want to see what your original MIGHT have looked sort-of like..............  Fill in the Moparts one with a sharpie and call it good.

Brennan

Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 11, 2010, 11:17:27 PM
QuoteSo, I'm probably going to take a shot at a new, crisp white, 8.5 x 11 reproduction with my website on the bottom so IF someone want's to buy a clearly marked reproduction I can sell it to them. 

Any reproduction with Chrysler's name on it requires licensing from Chrysler to be able to legally sell it.

Best of luck, I will not hold my breath until you get it.  :Twocents:

Actually, no licensing required at all - here's why (and this is why there are tons of reproduction stuff out there).

I won't get into all the legal details - but its essentially like this in a nutshell.... Chrysler Corporation does not exist anymore.   What exists as Chrysler today is the remnants of the company assets of the old Chrysler Corporation that were bought by Daimler Benz (that's when Chrysler Corporation ended) and after bankruptcy and sail to Fiat became the holding company Chrysler LLC of today.   That company owns trademarks and copyrights (which require renewal) that originated with the old Chrysler Corporation, such as the Chrysler Pentastar and Mopar Logo.  But, the don't own the word "Chrysler" of even "Chrysler Corporation" when used without any of their trademarks.

For example, a broadcast sheet bears none of those emblems and can be freely reproduced even in so minute and exacting detail as to be non-distinguishable from an original. 

However, HOW that document is represented in a financial transaction is governed by applicable laws as they pertain to fraud.   For example....

If no voluntary representations are made as to its authenticity by the seller and the buyer doesn't ask - it's a case of "caveat emptor" or "buyer beware" - the buyer did not show due diligence in asking a primary question of interest and the seller was under no legal obligation to volunteer it.  i.e NOT fraud

If seller represents a "fake" as "real" (whether proactively or in reply to a question), and that representation results in a financial CONTRIBUTOR in the transaction, the buyer could sue for "fraud" under either civil or criminal acts.  However, the criminal act would require the PROOF that the fake broadcast sheet resulted in a financial differential, which means examining sales records of auctions, bringing in subject matter experts, etc. etc. etc. and a conviction of "beyond a reasonable doubt" - which is very hard to prove.   Thus, a civil action is better in this instance.  At the most - the seller MIGHT get a fine and an order to pay restitution in a criminal court, or have to pay restitution and court costs in a civil action -  BUT its highly unlikely there would be a serious prosecutorial action due to the volatile nature and fluctuation of collector cars and the inability to prove that a true difference in value exists.  i.e. 50-50 chance of proving fraud - it would probably all settle out of court. 

Note: representing something as real, when its not - is NOT illegal.  ONLY, when money changes hands, does the potential for "fraud" exist.

I appreciate your "two cents" and this is how folks learn and the overall knowledge of the hobby grows. 

A great comment, as a result.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: hemigeno on August 11, 2010, 05:44:25 PM
The big difference between reproduction broadcast sheets and reproduction sheet metal or other ancillary components you've attempted to use to prop up your argument is this:  The latter items were not stamped or otherwise identified by the factory with any particular car's VIN or other information showing how the car was originally equipped.  

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your dreams and these cars in general, but you've totally dismissed the valid issues raised by others on this thread as merely the "have's" casting stones at the "have not's".  Your lack of emphasis on legitimate paperwork and documentation is your choice, but the vast majority of the market looks at that subject from a diametrically-opposite position.  Build your car the way you want to, enjoy it when it's done, and go ahead pretending that having non-reproduction documentation/paperwork is not important.  It's your world.

However... don't be surprised if, when you someday make your opinions on the subject clear, prospective buyers also place every other comment you'll try to make about your car in the same "yeah, right" category.

:Twocents:

good point and one well made.   

I do not want to de-value my car.   You've done the best job of anyone of illustrating the BEST reason for not doing a repro - "it lends suspicion to the ORIGINAL items on your car".   

THIS IS A POWERFUL POINT - and one that causes me to rethink my strategy.  While I still want a broadcast sheet and all the other paraphenalia, I'm certainly going to ensure any reproduction - no matter how accurate I make it - is clearly identified as a reproduction.

While it doesn't change my overall view of its non-essential nature - your point could equally be applied to a hard part - which is the consistency of argument I like.   It applies to all situations.

IF I have a reproduction scissor jack - that is so accurate as to be undistinguishable - if I don't identify it as a repro (and a good eye could certainly tell the best repro) - then the other original parts on my car would be suspect.

The correct pricing strategy is.... "this is original, this is a reproduction (full disclosure)  - but my reproduction is so accurate as to clearly convey the time and essence (i.e. a snapshot) of what this car was like the day it rolled off the line."   That way I actually build dollar value into my reproductions.

Thanks a lot for your comment!  Very helpful!