News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Tricks" to putting original wheel well trim on "Repop'd" Quarters???

Started by Mfr426, December 20, 2005, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I finally secured a right rear wheel well trim for my 69 Charger. My car (a 69 Charger) has a remanufactured full quarter panel and outer wheel well on the right hand side. I wasted my money on reman'd well trim and it was junk! It was way too thin and the fit was horrible. I was lucky to enough to find original trim to use on the car. I've put on the other three trims with pretty good results but the right is proving to be a bit more difficult. The trim does not fit snugly up against the body. I've heard that you should start from the center and use clamps to hold it on while screwing in the center screws first and then working down towards the bottoms.

Can anyone comment on this procedure? Can anyone recommend a good type of clamp to hold the trim on while you are working it? I used the spring clamps and they popped off throughout the whole procedure. It was nerve wracking as I watched the trim come very close to scratching the new paint. I would have lost it at that point... :icon_smile_angry: I used tape to protect the body but that can actually keep the trim from being tight against the body.

Any body men know any tricks?

Thanks for ANY comments.

Mike R in Reading PA

Drop Top

Vise-grip makes a clamp with two fingers that work really well for this type of problem. The lower fingers aer allmost flat. Wile the top set have an L shape to them. You may need to redrill the holes for screws. Use about four clamps to hold the trim in place where you want it to be. Then as you stated, start from the top center and work your way in both directions. If you need to drill new holes. Drill then install the screw. First go in one direction, then the other. When you get to a clamp take it off so in isn't in your way. I've had to do this before and this is the way I did it. I hope this will help.

694spdRT

:iagree:  I call those vise grips a welding clamp...don't know if that is correct or not. 

I figured this might be a problem so I test fitted the trim while I was putting the quarters and trunk extensions on and then drilled them out prior to painting the car.  It sounds like you did not have the trim until after painting so that was not an option for you. I started in the center and worked my way around like you said. The other thing is to make sure the screw holes in the trim are nice and flat. My trim had holes that were sunk in from being tightened and it would not have fit well against the new panel.

I would at least use some masking tape on the outside edge of the wheel lip to protect your new paint while you are fiiting them. I can't see how that would be leave a noticable gap compared to the chance of damaging the paint.   

Good Luck
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mfr426

Thanks guys. I'm going to work on this trim tomorrow AM.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will work right and sit snug next to the body.

Mike

cudaken

I never did get mine perfect but pretty close. I did it the way Drop Top listed. Right rear was the only one that was a problem.

Cuda Ken

I am back

chargervert

The repops work better with the aftermarket quarter panels.I bought mine from Metro,and they fit the repro quarters pretty good.I was able to reshape them using my thumbs,and applying pressure to them where they needed to be fitted tighter to the body. You will not be able to shape the original stainless moldings too much,they don't flex much. The repop moldings aren't a good fit on original rear quarter panels. Although the repro quarter panels are usable,they are off in the wheel well openings,compaired to the originals!

Mfr426

Well guys, thanks for the tips! I got the trim on and am VERY happy with the fit. I used the center down technique and a vise grip. I did put blue masking tape on the trim ends to keep it from scratching the paint. I then pulled the tape off as I worked the trim down. Also, it really helped to use the the correct tip in my drill with on a low torque setting to seat the screws. I did them by hand initially and that was way too much work and I risked slipping off the screw. I also took off the wheel to make access easier!

Thanks All!

Mike R in Reading PA