News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to find Superbird glass.

Started by montana bird, August 18, 2010, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montana bird

Hi guys, I could use some help. Does anybody know where i can find a rear superbird window. I have been looking, but keep getting shot down.
Thanks Nathan.

pettybird

Quote from: montana bird on August 18, 2010, 02:53:48 PM
Hi guys, I could use some help. Does anybody know where i can find a rear superbird window. I have been looking, but keep getting shot down.
Thanks Nathan.

Try PS auto glass in WI.  They're good people. 

http://psautoglass.com/

montana bird

hotrod98

Possibly having the back glass damaged is the only thing that worries me about driving my Superbird all of thr time. I keep hearing that no one is making the back glasses. With all of the guys in Cali building the chopped and one-off cars and having glass made for them, you would think that there would be dozens of shops that could make this back glass.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

montana bird

over 15 glass places no luck. I ask everybody if the know were the molds are.  Hi larry I did more checking into the 4 door sedan glass and it is more square. I did heavy compareing next to the photos I took from your beutiful bird.  I would like to put a steel plug in and I would feel bad putting plastic in it.

hotrod98

At one point I was told that there was a glass place right here in little ole Greenwood, Arkansas that could make auto glass of any type as long as they had a mold. It kind of scares me to think of risking my back glass to make a mold. I wonder if they could make the mold without removing the glass and just removing the moldings.
I'll try to find out more. I would love to have a spare sitting up on a shelf somewhere.

Charles Addams

montana bird

Spare parts are good to have. Just look at that bird at the auto auction were the tent fell on it and broke his rear window. I bet he is willing to give up his first born for a rear glass. The glass guys said there is not a big demand for them but things happen, clones happen, and it is hard to sell a steel rear window plug if you cant get glass. Lexan rear windows are way better than no glass but what a shame if you are putting it in a real bird. Let me know larry I would buy at least 2 windows. I bet There is enough bird owners that would want a spare. Fifteen years ago they made 25 windows. The way i understand it the dried up a few years ago. Thats more than 1 window a year sold and that dosent count on the lexan glass sales. Also think of the guys that have lexan that would like to go glass. I think a guy could sell them if the tooling isnt too bad. If a guy could just find the original mold than that would help.

DAY CLONA

Have you tried 1 877 855 8100 Vintage glass group :Twocents:

doctor4766

Hey I'm ot a superbird guy or a Daytona guy but I am an autoglass guy.
It's a case of supply and demand here.
Chances of finding an original mold are next to none but if someone is prepared to pay the bucks, the glass can be reproduced. Whether it's made in China or Taiwan, if there's enough of an order to get the ball rolling then it's not impossible.
Try NAGS (National Autoglass Specifications) in your country. If anyone knows where to get the glass it will be them.
They could probably even help get these things made.
And oh yeah, they would need to have a glass OUT of the car to copy it.
Gotta love a '69

Aero426

The glass has been repopped everal years ago.   The company was Iowa Glass which was bought out by somebody else.    I have not kept up on it, but I would be surprised if the supply of repro glasses was totally exhausted.

moparstuart

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 20, 2010, 05:23:43 AM
Hey I'm ot a superbird guy or a Daytona guy but I am an autoglass guy.
It's a case of supply and demand here.
Chances of finding an original mold are next to none but if someone is prepared to pay the bucks, the glass can be reproduced. Whether it's made in China or Taiwan, if there's enough of an order to get the ball rolling then it's not impossible.
Try NAGS (National Autoglass Specifications) in your country. If anyone knows where to get the glass it will be them.
They could probably even help get these things made.
And oh yeah, they would need to have a glass OUT of the car to copy it.

the nags # on a superbird rear glass   is    DB4791
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

oldcarnut

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 20, 2010, 12:04:04 AM
Have you tried 1 877 855 8100 Vintage glass group :Twocents:

This is the folks Iowa sold out to.  They no longer have them.

wingcar

I remember many (and I mean many) years ago I walked into a little glass shop in Prescott Arizona and asked if they still listed rear glass for the 500 or Daytona.  Well after looking through his book he said they were still available....I asked how much and he quoted $119.00.  Of course I asked him to order one, which he did, and he stated that at that time it was the last in the system.....came in the original Chrysler box/sleeve.  The funny thing was that the owner was upset because the empolyee had quoted his cost, not retail (which I remember wasn't all that much more)....but to his credit he sold it to me at the quoted price.  I still have that window but today it's in a much better and stronger box to protect it...... (Just one of those stories that makes wingcar ownership interesting)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

montana bird

Tried ps auto glass yesterday and they didnt have one. Said they would call me back and never did. I think i called vintage glass group, but i will try them again. Thought I got lucky yesterday when one place told me they had 2.   So i asked him for the part # then I said how about a 70 roadrunner glass, guess what same part # so you know that was wrong. There has to be one somewhere.  How close is the lexan glass. Do you think a mold could be made from that.

montana bird

Good news, I contacted a glass company today and got a hold of a 30 year glass rep that new the business. He called me back and said give him a call in 8 months. There is a company in California right now that is tooling up a mold for glass for the bird. I don't know what the price will be. Good to see it available again. :cheers:

hotrod98

Be sure and post something when they become available. I'll buy one for a spare if the price isn't astronomical.

Charles Addams

montana bird

Will do larry I will let everybody know.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

bigfastjohn

Sorry to show my ignorance but is this glass different to a Daytona one????

nascarxx29

Superbird and Daytona back glass not interchangable
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

billssuperbird

i paid 300.00 for my superbird glass.i was lucky to fine one 6years ago.

pettybird

Quote from: bigfastjohn on August 24, 2010, 05:32:11 AM
Sorry to show my ignorance but is this glass different to a Daytona one????

they're really, really different.  the only interchangeable (or close to it) parts between the two are the guts of the nose.