News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unbuilt Engine Storage?

Started by bordin34, August 24, 2010, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I am going off the college in a couple days and have a 440 block all machined in my garage that I will not be able to touch until at least November. How can I store the block and keep it from rusting? Right now I just have all the bare metal surfaces coated with gear oil and ATF and the same with the crank and pistons. I will be bringing the block inside my house to store and maybe put it in a big sealed garbage bag with some charcoal as well as put a fresh coat of gear oil on it. Any other recommendations? Thanks

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

1968Dodge

An even coating of vasoline would be more than adequate for the machined surfaces like the cylinder walls/deck
'68 Charger R/T. Mild 440, 3.54 Dana.

TylerCharger69

Coat the crankshaft as well....and maybe plastic wrap it up and seal it.....You dont want rust pits on those journals!!!

62 Max

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 24, 2010, 05:02:16 PM
Coat the crankshaft as well....and maybe plastic wrap it up and seal it.....You dont want rust pits on those journals!!!

Wrapped and sealed under the wrong conditions can create condensation. :scratchchin:

Chatt69chgr

Heavy axle grease works good----the stiff dark brown stuff.  Not wheel bearing grease---to light weight.

jlatessa

And the crank should be stored in a vertical position.  :2thumbs:

GPULLER

I agree with the grease on the machined surfaces. Block, crank, everything.

TylerCharger69

He stated he was putting it inside of his house  so i assumed it was a climate controlled atmosphere......But yes....if its not...condensation is an issue  and it IS best to store the crankshaft in the vertical position.

69rtse4spd

I got one of my blocks in a 55 gal. drum of used motor oil.