News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

window plug brace?? added some pics.

Started by pandamarie, September 09, 2010, 02:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

I almost have my vega plug finished and would like to know what if anything you are using for a brace to go from the plug to the trunk area to stiffen it and block off the gap opened up from shorting the trunk lid??

BigBlockSam

howdy

we just welded the bottom of the plug to the 73 charger drip rail . some people leave more metal on the drip rail side . we made relief cuts on the side of the plug so  it bends . other people roll it on a wheel .  check out the pic.

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

70daytonaclone

BBS why does the plug need to bend? and can you tell me how much structure of the plug to leave or cut out? any pictures of the cleaned and dressed underside of plug before installation? Also did you slice the top edge of the sail panel to install the plug? thanks for any help or links to a installation process. Steve

hotrod98

You need to slice both sail panels in order to widen the window opening just enough for the plug to slide down flush. Once it's in place you'll immediately see that the plug doesn't lie down into place near the trunk opening. I use an english wheel to relax the area and still have to make a couple of small cuts to get the metal in the window corners to lie down properly.
Now that I've done a few, I've figured out how to make a lip on the plug to overlap the third gen dutchman. Looks more like factory that way.
You have to take everything into account when altering the decklid since you will need additional material at the front of the deck lid so that it will sit down on the third gen panel correctly.  This allows a ledge for the weatherstrip to sit on and align with the bottom of the deck lid. The steps in the third gen panel are wider than a regular Daytona.
You will need to make a ledge to go under the plug that sits on the package tray. This is where the package tray trim panel will sit and it supports the plug as well. I made mine with a lip so that it also held the inside window trim. You need to make a package tray trim panel from scratch since a regular Daytona piece doesn't fit properly. The ledge raises it up in the back so that it sits just under the new back glass opening.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Oh, and by the way...if anyone needs a shop to build them a wingcar, we're scheduling for 2011 right now. We're currently finishing projects ahead of schedule. No resto jobs are shoved off in the corners in this shop.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hotrod explains it so much better than i could . i recommend that you lay the vega plug in the position that you think it belongs and you'll see that it doesn't fit. start dragging it toward the back of the car . that will show you were you have to notch the sail panels . there will be about a 3 inch gap between the top of the vega plug and the roof line . you have to make a piece and weld it in there to close that up . 
i left most of the back of the vega plug alone . if you take out to much of the rear of the plug it will not be sturdy . remember you have to modify your trunk lid first so you know were to install the drip rail .

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

pandamarie

LArry you gave me the information I needed, On top of things as usual. You wouldnt happen to have any pics of your package tray trim panel would you?
Here is a few pics of my window plug so far.

6pkrtse

I just picked up a 70 500 S.E. that I think I am going to convert to a Dayclona. I am currently looking for the vega rear hatch. Anyone have any good step by step details on how to convert from start to finish for someone that has never done this before such as myself?
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

70daytonaclone

good luck with that as nobody wants to give up that kind of information on this site. I have been waiting for 3 years to see a start to finish thread,much less a video. Just my  :Twocents:Steve

BigBlockSam

Quotegood luck with that as nobody wants to give up that kind of information on this site. I have been waiting for 3 years to see a start to finish thread,much less a video. Just my  :Twocents:Steve

i think we help a lot of people with there clone projects . people here helped me with my daytona when i was building it . it took me close to 5 years to figure everything out . and build my daytona . it's not easy .
if you search old threads you will find everything you need to know . just takes some effort  :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 24, 2010, 03:38:21 PM
Quotegood luck with that as nobody wants to give up that kind of information on this site. I have been waiting for 3 years to see a start to finish thread,much less a video. Just my  :Twocents:Steve

i think we help a lot of people with there clone projects . people here helped me with my daytona when i was building it . it took me close to 5 years to figure everything out . and build my daytona . it's not easy .
if you search old threads you will find everything you need to know . just takes some effort  :Twocents:
I agree everything is here you just need to search for it

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

It's very time consuming to repeat the steps every time someone starts a Daytona clone project. It's not that we don't care it's just that all you have to do is take the time to do a little research. The info is there.

Charles Addams

pandamarie

I got a lot of help here starting this project, family and health are slowing me down and the economy isnt helping much and the parts dont get any cheaper.
I didnt take all the pics I wanted to but I can tell you I used a vega hatchback cut the inner skin off by grinding the edges and using a long knife to seperate the inside from the out side due to the glue used to hold the panels together.  I will be building my window brace in the next few weeks and will post pics of it here or on a new thread.
If you have some good welding skills its a piece of cake, I have a good friend that tig welded my trunk lid and vega panel in for me you can tell by his welds in my pics, nothing has been ground down yet. He did leave me the trunk lip to do. wish I had a tig.

41husk

I would say, just let Larry build yours, Thats what I did :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

pandamarie

That take all the fun out of the learning expeiance.

6pkrtse

I found a couple of sources for a vega hatch locally. Once I finally get one. What all needs to be done to shorten the deck lid? I remember  reading somewhere someone says to use a 71-74 Charger upper drip rail? is this true? What does the inside of the C-pillars get done to them or just get covered with Daytona specific sail panels?
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

hotrod98

You need to contact Gene Gregory and purchase a steel closeout panel to alter the deck lid. My trim shop was able to use a stock Daytona headliner but had to make a package tray panel from scratch.

Charles Addams