News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

QuoteActually, your both wrong.  The sentence lacks a subject.  This correction comes from someone with a diploma, back when a diploma actually meant something.

Can we return back to the subject, please?

Your implies ownership, do you mean You're?

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject_%28grammar%29 about "implied subject". I am not an internet grammar corrector and from what I can see, neither are you. ;-)

My dad taught wood shop, but I did have great teachers for other subjects.

ACUDANUT

LOL. 

BTW, I just was having fun.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Nwcharger on February 03, 2015, 07:07:04 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on February 03, 2015, 04:43:19 PM
No matter how  its get repaired if at all. It'll be a rebody.
the only difference will be is,,,, the easy way ----or the hard way

I disagree. I think of it more as a resurrection than a rebody. I could have rebodyed it years ago, never posted anything about the car and keep it silent. I'm trying to make it public for everyone to see. I don't see any other Daytonas that have been severely wrecked and restored in the pubic eye. like that one that burned in the fire a few years ago with a few cars and there's nothing on how it was restored that I've seen yet.

After your all done you'll still be calling it a Resurrection while everybody else will be calling it a rebody. Those green floors you showed a pic of earlier did not look like the original floors for this car. If you use those the rebody has started :scratchchin: LEON.

JB400

That's great.  I replace a fender, I just rebodied my car.  I replace the trunk floor, I just rebodied the car.  I fix a rust hole, I just rebodied the car.  Can't win for losing. :brickwall:

At least I'm one step closer to being able to enjoy the car.

500Jon

New lingo needed?

Re-Creation... taking a pile of rust and creating a new car, with a mixture of new and old parts...
Re-panelling...removing rusty panels one at a time and replacing using welds.
Total-repanelling...total removal at one time of all rusty panels (like Mr.Norms 500 and the B5-blue 500).

Re-bodying...putting your 'bodyshell' vin numbers onto another vehicle bodyshell in ones ownership due to rust major issues...

Re-registration... or just plain fraudulence...stealing someones pride and joy and just swapping Vins FULLSTOP... :slap:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Ghoste

Replacing a fender and trunk hardly constitutes a rebody JB.  Replacing every single panel with a different car however...

Nwcharger

That's what I mean. I'm not replacing every body panel but because every piece saved will take lots of work to save then it becomes a rebody? Seems like a double standard.
1969 coronet wagon

held1823

what body panels from the ravine do you have? a few pages back are photos of the remains spread out for examination. there may be stuff not shown there, but the only thing even close to being a usable body panel seen in those photos is the hood from a different car.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2015, 09:00:29 AM
Replacing a fender and trunk hardly constitutes a rebody JB.  Replacing every single panel with a different car however...
While my comment was actually just a smart remark based off of H-Hamptons' comment, it actually holds weight if there's going to be a ruckus over what parts are used off of a dead car to bring another dead car to life, especially since no work has been done on the Daytona.  Since there is little industry standard on terminology on this subject, just about any conclusion could be drawn.

charger_fan_4ever

Looks like the only usable metal is the rear seat pan section and possibly passengers inner/outter rocker panel.

odcics2

Quote from: Nwcharger on February 03, 2015, 07:07:04 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on February 03, 2015, 04:43:19 PM
No matter how  its get repaired if at all. It'll be a rebody.
the only difference will be is,,,, the easy way ----or the hard way

I disagree. I think of it more as a resurrection than a rebody. I could have rebodyed it years ago, never posted anything about the car and keep it silent. I'm trying to make it public for everyone to see. I don't see any other Daytonas that have been severely wrecked and restored in the pubic eye. like that one that burned in the fire a few years ago with a few cars and there's nothing on how it was restored that I've seen yet.

Check this out.  Substitute the word "parrot" with "Daytona".   :smilielol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

:nana:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: JB400 on February 04, 2015, 10:46:13 PM
That's great.  I replace a fender, I just rebodied my car.  I replace the trunk floor, I just rebodied the car.  I fix a rust hole, I just rebodied the car.  Can't win for losing. :brickwall:

At least I'm one step closer to being able to enjoy the car.

Did you see the new floors? Here's a pic below. Thats alot of floor to use. The whole bottom of car.

JB400

500Jon

This thread is going round in circles now!

If one buys a Gen-2 Charger and totally dis-assembles it down to its component parts.
As in,,, drills out every factory made spot-weld and mig-weld in/on the body-shell, and then...
Re-assembles the whole thing back together with a mixture of other 68/69/70 Charger/Coronet parts...
And also use Chinese, almost-right repro panels as well, where necessary...
What have they done wrong???

Nothing of course, it happens all the TIME... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Let this Daytona rebuild start in EARNEST, and we can watch the Re-creation with SPLENDOR!!! :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on February 06, 2015, 05:31:59 AM
This thread is going round in circles now!

If one buys a Gen-2 Charger and totally dis-assembles it down to its component parts.
As in,,, drills out every factory made spot-weld and mig-weld in/on the body-shell, and then...
Re-assembles the whole thing back together with a mixture of other 68/69/70 Charger/Coronet parts...
And also use Chinese, almost-right repro panels as well, where necessary...
What have they done wrong???

Nothing of course, it happens all the TIME... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Let this Daytona rebuild start in EARNEST, and we can watch the Re-creation with SPLENDOR!!! :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I have not one item, not the smallest of the small, part on the 88 that is reproduced.
It's coming together as 100%, original vintage 1969 Dodge sheet metal, nuts bolts, etc.
The entire front end was saved from the woods and restored. HUGE undertaking, but it went 200 legally
and no other front end did!   :2thumbs:  It is a one off, hand massaged, assembly of parts.

I have to admit that Don White did NOT drive it over a cliff....    :brickwall:

"Almost-right", is incorrect, as far as this one car goes...  Just my opinion, of course...   

:cheers: :popcrn: :cheers: :popcrn:  beer and popcorn for all!

Moparpoolman

Nwcharger, have you been working on the Daytona, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the progress. :2thumbs:

NHCharger

John and his wife Jenn stayed at my place for a couple days last summer when they came to pick up his 70 Superbee that I pulled out of the woods of Weare, NH the previous year. We discussed in length the current condition of the Daytona.

All I can say is that John is a stand up guy. He could have flown under the radar with all this and quietly moved the numbers to his 69 Daytona clone and hoped no one would be none the wiser. He knows what his is up against as far trying to bring this car back to life. He is determined to use as much of the original sheetmetal as possible. He knows that there will be a number of people out there screaming re-body but is willing to take the time and do what he thinks is the right thing to do.

One thing that John hasn't mentioned in all this is that he had several offers on the car (for substantially more than what he paid) after he had purchased it. John declined those offers and instead has put all this documention out on the web for all to see. I doubt if any of those buyers would be interested now.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charger500440

Quote from: NHCharger on February 08, 2015, 08:41:16 AM
John and his wife Jenn stayed at my place for a couple days last summer when they came to pick up his 70 Superbee that I pulled out of the woods of Weare, NH the previous year. We discussed in length the current condition of the Daytona.

All I can say is that John is a stand up guy. He could have flown under the radar with all this and quietly moved the numbers to his 69 Daytona clone and hoped no one would be none the wiser. He knows what his is up against as far trying to bring this car back to life. He is determined to use as much of the original sheetmetal as possible. He knows that there will be a number of people out there screaming re-body but is willing to take the time and do what he thinks is the right thing to do.

One thing that John hasn't mentioned in all this is that he had several offers on the car (for substantially more than what he paid) after he had purchased it. John declined those offers and instead has put all this documention out on the web for all to see. I doubt if any of those buyers would be interested now.

Having met John as well, I second that. We as Charger enthusiasts are fortunate that John owns this car for many reasons. Not the least of which is that he has been very up front regarding what this car needs and what it will take to put it back together. How easy would it be for him to not have done what he has already up to this point? I tip my hat and wish him the best in getting this car resuscitated...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

500Jon

Hip, Hip, HOORAY!!! :2thumbs:

We have hopefully turned the corner on this 'STILL isa Daytona' thread.
Firstly anyone called 'John' must be an OK GUY, (just a personal thing lol).
Secondly, I am extremely jealous that I didn't find the RAYVINETONA...myself...
Thirdly, John is a very brave man to go into the Lion's Den and not be frightened OFF!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

God Bless you and your Rayvinetona build... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

ps, he who has NOT sinned, cast the first stone... :spank: :spank: :spank:

moparstuart

Its worth saving what you can and putting the car back on the road  , it will always have a little stigma attached to it
but document what you can .  Its a cool story and you will love having the story to tell everytime you show the car  ,
  Hats off to you for doing it in the public eye ,  Good luck , the sacramento guy sound like he will work with you I say talk more with him and
give him a shot .    As in sports   it will always have an asterisk associated with it , but you have documented it and  will have more of a real daytona then most of us .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

500Jon

Well said Stuart!

I'm sure no one in Sport has ever used Drugs or Cheated... :slap:

I'm always available for Daytona work too, must pay airfare, board and lodgings, oh yes and free-BEER!!! :2thumbs:

ps, I must get a bigger garage, too many Daytona's and not enough room!!! :nana:

RallyeMike

QuoteNwcharger, have you been working on the Daytona, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the progress. 2thumbs

I was thinking the same thing. Ready for the circular opinions to end and see some metal magic!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Nwcharger

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 08, 2015, 12:11:44 PM
QuoteNwcharger, have you been working on the Daytona, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the progress. 2thumbs

I was thinking the same thing. Ready for the circular opinions to end and see some metal magic!

I haven't done much with the Daytona. City came down on me last summer for having too many cars on my property so I've been busy hiding and selling cars. Couldn't see them from the road so the did an aerial surveylance and found 12 cars in my backyard. Not gonna say how many I actually had but it was more than twice they saw. I plan on getting started after I pick up the c500 I'm buying this summer. Been messing with my 69 coronet wagon that I just got on the road last month. Also messing with my a12 clone budget build (10 seconds for 10k or less) and just picked up the original 340 motor for my fiberglass lebaron track car (former aar Cuda). Just sold my 69 SE charger and planning on selling the Daytona clone next. Starting to thin my herd of mopars.
1969 coronet wagon

Nwcharger

Quick update. Herd rumor that some parts from my Daytona might be surfacing. Keeping my fingers crossed but may end up with the gauge cluster, one headlight door, drivers door and maybe more.
1969 coronet wagon