News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Daytona

Started by nascarxx29, October 12, 2010, 11:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

:Twocents: We need a online registry saving info on cars that had vin tags etc made /replaced .No aero cars listed.But these cars had remade tags

http://www.trimtags.com/imagegallery/index-orig.php?cat=10001
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: pettybird on October 20, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on October 19, 2010, 06:40:39 PM
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking for quite a while...

I'll post more Quebec stuff later on, I'm still looking for news on the Superbird I owned in the early 80's...

Welcome, despite the reception! 

I have a Daytona from Montreal--XX29L9B414641.  It's a basket case and then some.  Know any history about it?

I don't think any of the comments were directed at me, I'm just reporting what I saw, and what's been known already (see the pic from the ebay auction). Hey, maybe the guy got a hold of the original body and rebuilt it? I don't know, and don't want him to hold anything against me!!!
I remember seeing your Daytona in Dan's backyard, I might have a few pics you have not seen yet. I actually almost bought it, got beat to it by a few hours...

Arnie Cunningham

Quote from: Ghoste on October 21, 2010, 06:07:18 AM
I'm not a lawyer so I can't deny what you're saying Brennan but this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that it isn't illegal to remove the VIN from one vehicle and place it onto a different one.

Nor am I, but when this issue came up a while back, I started doing some research.  New York State laws, at the time, made reference to vehicles 8 years old or newer.  They said nothing about other vehicles that I could find.  If you went into DOT and asked if it is legal to swap a vin tag from one car to another, no doubt, the answer would be no.  That answer would also probably be incorrect as the question is to vague.  Like it or not, VINs are "swapped" all the time and no one cares.  Take for example someone restoring an old pickup truck.  If the cab is too rusty, another is swapped on and the truck is either registered using the data plate on the new cab or the original plate has to be removed from the first cab and put on the new one - vin swap.  Take for example a completely rusted (but mechanically complete) basket case muscle car (I mean reallllllllly rusted).  If someone reconstructs the body piece by piece in the same manner that the factory did and then installs all the original mechanical components - has a vin swap taken place or not?  The example of someone fabricating a vin tag for a car that never existed is another issue completely and should be left to another discussion.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Troy

Typically, you *can* swap "identifying numbers" - as long as you have permission by a/the licensing authority and it's documented. Here in Ohio that means you must do it with a State Trooper or inspector present to document exactly what is changed and where it came from (this can be a problem if you just pull tags out of a box). The problem is that this creates a paper trail which detrimentally affects the value of the car. There are legal ways to do things but no one wants to be bothered with that I guess.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Yes, I know it happens all the time and clearly I don't fall on the side of liking it but neither of those things have anything to do with it being legal or illegal.  I would tend to go with what the DOT told you.  Or in Troys case, getting a state trooper to watch you do it.  I would think that if the registering bodies of these VIN's (ie. the state) thought it was no big deal, they wouldn't require them in the first place.  After all, why the need for special rivets?
I know you didn't say it was okay either, you were just saying that no one cares.  Some do though.

FJMG

The funny thing is that the VIN is riveted to the dash which is just bolted on! Do you need an authority to remove the VIN to restore the dash? If so, then logic would imply (to me anyway) that one is also needed to remove the entire dash from the car if the VIN stays fastened! If someone takes the stance that it would not apply since the VIN is not transferred to another body then I would simply ask: How would you PROVE IT? Pictures/videos could be argued to prove nothing with the capabilities of many people with photo/video editing programs. What about if you document everything during your resto (however methods you choose) and a pic(s) on the net questions the cars pedigree, you are of course left to explain, or do you queston the pic(s) origin? This is one of those areas where the honest person can not take enough precaution.

moparstuart

Quote from: FJMG on October 22, 2010, 10:53:39 AM
The funny thing is that the VIN is riveted to the dash which is just bolted on! Do you need an authority to remove the VIN to restore the dash? If so, then logic would imply (to me anyway) that one is also needed to remove the entire dash from the car if the VIN stays fastened! If someone takes the stance that it would not apply since the VIN is not transferred to another body then I would simply ask: How would you PROVE IT? Pictures/videos could be argued to prove nothing with the capabilities of many people with photo/video editing programs. What about if you document everything during your resto (however methods you choose) and a pic(s) on the net questions the cars pedigree, you are of course left to explain, or do you queston the pic(s) origin? This is one of those areas where the honest person can not take enough precaution.
When building the birdible , I went from the satelite non ralley dash to an A/C ralley dash !  We had to move the vin tag , legal or not we did it ??      No fraud intended its still the satelite vin and fender tags on the car .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

65post

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on October 21, 2010, 03:39:28 PM

I'll post more Quebec stuff later on, I'm still looking for news on the Superbird I owned in the early 80's...

I have a Daytona from Montreal--XX29L9B414641.  It's a basket case and then some.  Know any history about it?

I don't think any of the comments were directed at me, I'm just reporting what I saw, and what's been known already (see the pic from the ebay auction). Hey, maybe the guy got a hold of the original body and rebuilt it? I don't know, and don't want him to hold anything against me!!!
I remember seeing your Daytona in Dan's backyard, I might have a few pics you have not seen yet. I actually almost bought it, got beat to it by a few hours...

Hey,Montreal Wing Car ..Do you know anything about this one?
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

moparstuart

Quote from: 65post on October 22, 2010, 12:38:57 PM

SE ?

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on October 22, 2010, 11:34:12 AM
When building the birdible , I went from the satelite non ralley dash to an A/C ralley dash !  We had to move the vin tag , legal or not we did it ??      No fraud intended its still the satelite vin and fender tags on the car .

I see your specific situation as "don't ask, don't tell".    Being that the Birdible and VIN are one and the same, I see no foul.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on October 22, 2010, 12:48:10 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 22, 2010, 11:34:12 AM
When building the birdible , I went from the satelite non ralley dash to an A/C ralley dash !  We had to move the vin tag , legal or not we did it ??      No fraud intended its still the satelite vin and fender tags on the car .

I see your specific situation as "don't ask, don't tell".    Being that the Birdible and VIN are one and the same, I see no foul.
Thats how I see it , but i would also never sell the car without disclosing that , Not that i see ever selling it unless i had too for some family emergency .  Hell its on the internet now .  :smilielol: :D

The car also has all its stamping and door vin decals .

nascarxx29

I did the same thing as Stuarts birdible when. I used a parted out 70 Superbird we used the complete dash and wiring for the 70 bird conv just to name a few part needed for the job.The rest of the cars satelitte body numbers where on the door trunk lip etc etc . That matched the dash vin.So was no big deal just went from standard dash to rallye .We had and still have all the superbirds idenity but were RM23 not 27
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: 65post on October 22, 2010, 12:38:57 PM

Well, to start with, I'm the one who took that pic! A friend spotted it last Spring when the tarp over the shelter disintegrated, and told me about it. I verified the VIN as 414644. It is indeed a SE, it was sold new in Trois-Rivières, from the known history. Unfortunately, there was no Fender tag, so I cannot comment on original equipment, but inside, there's a column shift and bench seat! I will respect the owner's identity and it's location, not because I have any intention of buying it, as the owner refused a substantial offer I gave him on behalf of a local collector... He says he'll ''fix it up someday'', and his son will do it if he doesn't... He knows about the DSAC, and says he got a new rear window for it. Last time I checked (about a month ago), a tarp was up again and it was invisible again. Funny thing is that when Google passed by there, it was still out in the open  ;D

65post

I remember seeing that car years ago at the big car show at Place Bonaventure. First wing car I ever saw.I was in my early teens at that time but knew I had to get me one of those some day....
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

maxwellwedge

I would love to see the tag or sheet on that one - There were supposed to be only 2 Canadian SE's and I own or have owned both- Doc and 665. Then I think 666 is an SE as well - That makes 3. And now this one that would make 4.  :scratchchin: