News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tic Toc Tach problem

Started by R6red4spd69RT, October 19, 2010, 06:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6red4spd69RT

After 3,000 rpm the needle starts jumping around and gets worse the higher the rpm's get.

Any insights?

histoy

Check your dwell on the points, if your car still has them.  My tach started doing the same thing and I found the rubbing block had worn down and the points had closed up, which increased the dwell.

R6red4spd69RT

Quote from: histoy on October 19, 2010, 07:00:04 PM
Check your dwell on the points, if your car still has them.  My tach started doing the same thing and I found the rubbing block had worn down and the points had closed up, which increased the dwell.

And there were no other symptoms?

squeakfinder

I had a similar problems with an aftermarket (Sun) tach. Apparently an adapter is needed with a compactive discharge box  :eyes:. But, your car is probably stock.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

R6red4spd69RT

Yeah, it's stock with points.

R6red4spd69RT

Well, I don't have a dwell meter but I did a visual inspection and checked the points gap. They look to be in good shape although the point gaps are both .013 which is outside the .014-.019 specification.

Not sure if this is part of the problem.

R6red4spd69RT

So as I was adjusting the point gaps to proper spec's I see what's in the pic.

Might have something to do with what's going on. :icon_smile_cool:

R6red4spd69RT

I'm glad I found the detached wire which is now attached. Though the tach needle still swings pretty wildly, especially above 3500 rpm.

histoy

You asked if there were other symptoms.... yes, the engine started running like crap when the tach needle was bouncing.

R6red4spd69RT

My engine runs great and when getting toward 5000 rpm the needle fluctuations stop. So. it seems like between 3000-5000 rpm it bounces around. :shruggy: