News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 barrel don't seem to open up

Started by yvesp, October 23, 2010, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvesp

I have a 440 in my Charger with a Holley 850 carb, it does give a pretty good pull when I floor it but I know it can do better because the 4 barrel don't seem to open up so I am looking for the highest performance tune up I can get, can anyone tell me if this could be accomplish with Carbs Exhaust Sensor? Did anyone experiment with oxygen sensor by plugging a monitor into the exhaust downpipe? I have read a bit about this in a magazine.

Some guys tell me to forget about tuning the carb by using a monitor into the exhaust downpipe, others tell me to get rid of my Holley 850 and buy an Edelbrock Carb which is already pre-set and ready to go. any suggestions?

I really need to wake up this 440, it's cool to have a nice lookin car but I also feel that without some AWESOME POWER behind it, the beast will not be complete. I'm sure most of you here can relate to that.

Can someone help me in this regard? any good suggestions?

Silver R/T

you can always pay someone to tune it for you.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

yvesp

I have a 440 in my Charger with a Holley 850 carb, it does give a pretty good pull when I floor it but I know it can do better because the 4 barrel don't seem to open up so I am looking for the highest performance tune up I can get, can anyone tell me if this could be accomplish with Carbs Exhaust Sensor? Did anyone experiment with oxygen sensor by plugging a monitor into the exhaust downpipe? I have read a bit about this in a magazine.

Some guys tell me to forget about tuning the carb by using a monitor into the exhaust downpipe, others tell me to get rid of my Holley 850 and buy an Edelbrock Carb which is already pre-set and ready to go. any suggestions?

I really need to wake up this 440, it's cool to have a nice lookin car but I also feel that without some AWESOME POWER behind it, the beast will not be complete. I'm sure most of you here can relate to that.

Can someone help me in this regard? any good suggestions?

John_Kunkel

Why do you think "the 4 barrel don't seem to open up"?  If your motor is near stock the 850 is probably too big.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 23, 2010, 03:56:25 PM

Why do you think "the 4 barrel don't seem to open up"?  If your motor is near stock the 850 is probably too big.

:iagree: I have a 850 on my 500 stroker and that's enough. You could also check that your
throttlecable is correct adjusted so that you open full when the pedal hits the floor.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

TylerCharger69

Secondary spring too stiff?   Vacuum pot leaking?   Is it manual or vacuum assist?    Need more info on that model carb!!

greenpigs

What is your timing at? That isn't connected to the carb not opening but you need to make sure your timing is optimized first. Everyones combo is different but most street 440 run at least 20* initial.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

yvesp

John, You could be right since I think my 440 is near stock, I'm thinking of getting and Edelbrock, can anyone recomment how big I should go for a 440??
Does anyone know how big was the Carter carb on a 69 440 GTX? I had one of them and it worked real good.

Belgium you may have a point, I will check the trottle cable.

yvesp

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 23, 2010, 05:57:48 PM
Secondary spring too stiff?   Vacuum pot leaking?   Is it manual or vacuum assist?    Need more info on that model carb!!

Tyler, the carb is manual, Holley 850, 4781-2 or model 4150..

maxwellwedge

I think he posted the same thing in 3 areas of the site.

Ghoste

If you wrap a small piece of tape or something around the secondary activation linkage right under the vacuum canister (make sure it is snug enough to stay in position when the rod is at rest but loose enough that it can be easily moved), then get on the car, stop, and recheck the tape to see if it slid down on the rod.  If it has moved this will tell you how much the secondaries opened.  It's a bit crude but it works, you just have to get the right balance of snug but loose on the tape.

Sublime/Sixpack

The '69 440 Magnum's Carter AVS was rated at 750 cfm I believe.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

firefighter3931

With a mechanical secondary carb the linkage is not adjusted properly if you're not getting full throttle. There is a specific adapter for holley carbs (PN 20-7) that must be installed for the correct pedal/throttle ratio.  :yesnod:

Post some pics of your carb on the driver side so we can see what you've got  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

yvesp

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2010, 07:38:58 AM
With a mechanical secondary carb the linkage is not adjusted properly if you're not getting full throttle. There is a specific adapter for holley carbs (PN 20-7) that must be installed for the correct pedal/throttle ratio.  :yesnod:

Post some pics of your carb on the driver side so we can see what you've got  :scope:

Ron

Ron, thanks for your response, for some reason I cannot upload a pic of the carb from the driver's side, can you message me and provide me with your email so I can probably email you that pic?
I await your response, Thnaks Yves

Roger 68 charger

Ron

Do you need to run this adapter on the Proform carbs that have mechanical secondaries?
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

firefighter3931

Quote from: Roger 68 charger on October 24, 2010, 10:47:14 AM

Ron

Do you need to run this adapter on the Proform carbs that have mechanical secondaries?

Yep  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

yvesp

Ron

Ok Ron, or anyone else who want to see this Holley 850 from the driver's side.

firefighter3931

Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

(1) the 20-7 bracket is not installed...you need one  :yesnod:

(2) The throttle cable bracket is too low....you need to raise it or get a taller bracket. The adjustable bracket that Mancini Racing sells works great. I used it with the same intake manifold that you are running.

Have a friend get in the car and put the pedal to the floor while you're looking down the throat of the carb with a light. I bet the secondary blades are barely opening halfway.

Is this an auto trans car ? If so, the kickdown linkage is missing unless you have a manual valvebody.  :scope:

Ron

yvesp

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2010, 02:55:43 PM
Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

(2) The throttle cable bracket is too low....you need to raise it or get a taller bracket. The adjustable bracket that Mancini Racing sells works great. I used it with the same intake manifold that you are running.

Have a friend get in the car and put the pedal to the floor while you're looking down the throat of the carb with a light. I bet the secondary blades are barely opening halfway.

Is this an auto trans car ? If so, the kickdown linkage is missing unless you have a manual valvebody.  :scope:

Ron

This is a 4 Spd. trans

yvesp

Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

Ron

Ron, can you specify exactly the 2 brackets I need from Mancinni racing, like a product number or code? I want to make sure I order the right brackets.

Thanks much, Yves

firefighter3931

Quote from: yvesp on October 24, 2010, 05:26:07 PM
Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

Ron

Ron, can you specify exactly the 2 brackets I need from Mancinni racing, like a product number or code? I want to make sure I order the right brackets.

Thanks much, Yves

You want the AR Engineering # AR002 throttle bracket and the Holley # 20-7 throttle adapter. Call Mancini and ask for Wes  :2thumbs:

Ron

yvesp

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2010, 06:47:37 PM
Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

Ron

Thanks much, Yves

You want the AR Engineering # AR002 throttle bracket and the Holley # 20-7 throttle adapter. Call Mancini and ask for Wes  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks much, Yves

yvesp

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2010, 06:47:37 PM
Thanks for the pic Yves,

I see 2 problems :

Ron

Thanks much, Yves

Ron

Re: Yves, the throttle adapter only goes on one way. If you have any problems i
can help you sort it out.

I'm going to suggest a video for you. This is an instructional dvd with
lots of excellent tuning tips and hands-on demonstrations. Everything you
need to know abot adjusting timing, carbs and tuning is in there. I have
recommended this vid to many members and have a copy myself.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62311.0.html

Cheers, Ron

Ron,

Thanks for that great information! I will also get that video.
Also, what do you think of the BIGS carbs?

Yves

firefighter3931

The BIGS carbs are fine but i'm partial to the Proform carbs....they seem to work great with minimal tuning. Quickfuel is another good option but they are more expensive than the Proform units.

Ron

Lifsgrt

After looking at the soot on your carb...as greenpigs said earlier, what is your initial and total timing and do you have a good set of plug wires (like Firecore)?
Best time 11.07@121