News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TALLADEGA 2014!

Started by Mopar John, November 02, 2010, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

45th Aero Warrior Reunion at Talladega                           
Plans are coming together for the 45th anniversary reunion at Talladega.  The dates will be October  16-19.    
Schedule:
Thursday, October 16th: Morning track laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway.  These will be similar to the highway speed laps at Monster Mopar.  Convoy to Alexander City in the afternoon.   Trunk swap meet in the evening.  Plan on staying in Atlanta Wednesday night.

Friday, October 17th:  Gathering at Wellborn home in afternoon and evening.   There will be a barbeque and party in the evening.

Saturday, October 18th Gathering at the Wellborn Musclecar Museum.

Sunday, October 19th  – Convoy and Parade lap before the Geico 500 race at Talladega.  

Hotel Info: Call or go online to make a reservation.  There are no room blocks.   Here are the four recommended hotels in Alexander City. All of these are close together.  We will probably fill them all.

Baymont Inn (formerly the Jameson Inn) 256-234-7099
Hampton Inn 256-234-2244
Best Western 256-234-6311
Holiday Inn Express 256-234-5900.              The hotel in town to avoid from past experience is the Royal Inn.  

For more info, contact Doug Schellinger at 414-687-2489 or superbirdclub@yahoo.com or just PM me here.

69_500

Booked my room already. This will be the first time I have booked a room before going to a show. Usually I just try to find one once I get to the show.

hemigeno

For what it's worth, a couple of the hotel names from Doug's list have changed according to Mapquest (phone numbers are the same):

Best Western is now Days Inn

Holiday Inn Express is now Quality Inn

I'm gathering that the Baymont Inn & Suites is the place to be?  From the satellite image, it looks like there's a spacious shopping center parking lot adjacent to the hotel.  Looks like an ideal spot for trailer parking.

Why did it take me so long to make plans to attend this event?  :brickwall:

gymratt30

Booked at the Baymont Inn!
see ya there!

(hopefully with both Birds!)
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

pettybird

FYI just booked at the Baymont on Kayak.com for about $58/night

Dave Kanofsky

I'm in at the Hampton...Gotta love them HHonors points!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on April 29, 2014, 10:59:13 PM
FYI just booked at the Baymont on Kayak.com for about $58/night

That's about right.

hemi68charger

Have my room reservations at the Baymont... See ya'll there, hopefully have two wings in a caravan from the Houston area..............  :2thumbs:

Quote from: hemigeno on April 29, 2014, 05:13:23 PM
...  From the satellite image, it looks like there's a spacious shopping center parking lot adjacent to the hotel.  Looks like an ideal spot for trailer parking.

Yes, there's a big parking lot next to the hotel....... There were a lot of trucks and trailers there that weekend.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

70Sbird

I'm In at the Hampton!
Like Dave K, gotta love HHonors points!

Doug S, Is there going to be a "Host" hotel where we have a conference room or central gathering spot?

:2thumbs:

:popcrn:

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on April 30, 2014, 10:13:24 AM
I'm In at the Hampton!
Like Dave K, gotta love HHonors points!

Doug S, Is there going to be a "Host" hotel where we have a conference room or central gathering spot?

:2thumbs:

:popcrn:

Scott, we will find a base of operations.  I'm at the Baymont.       

CornDogsCharger

I plan to go again this year.  I'm really looking forward to it.  But I have to ask... would a project C500 clone be welcome to attend and got on the track?  I should have my Vega plug installed and the '68 Coronet grille installed too.  My car will probably be primer or mis-matched panels.  Either way, I'll be there... I just hope the car will be ready (enough) in time.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

Hi Justin, the C500 clone would certainly be welcome.   We don't see enough 500's coming out to events.    The main thing is that you come and have a good time.

Mopurr

We are at the Baymont they say $65 on the phone but online it showed 20% discount for 3 or more nights so mentioned it and they gave it to me so is $52 night after the discount
Look forward to seeing everyone

RealWing

I'm booked at the Hampton. Never been to a meet before, but now that the bird is finished, this sounded like a good place to bring the  "Offical Pace Car"
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

70EK2Bird

We are booked into the Hampton.  I am planning on being in Atlanta for the Thursday fun and then over to Alexander City. 
This will be the first time our car has been to the event as it was still sitting in a building covered in dust the last time. 

I am sure we will have a great time and can't wait for October.

Pat

pettybird

I'm pretty excited about the Atlanta thing, too--another track to cross off the list!

70Sbird

Quote from: pettybird on May 01, 2014, 12:56:27 PM
I'm pretty excited about the Atlanta thing, too--another track to cross off the list!

The guy I bought the carcass of my car from in 2001 now has an autobody/shetmetal restoration business just North of Atlanta.
I'm thinking about getting there Wednesday night to see his place and then doing the track Wednesday!
sounds like it's gonna be a fun time!

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on April 29, 2014, 05:13:23 PM
For what it's worth, a couple of the hotel names from Doug's list have changed according to Mapquest (phone numbers are the same):

Best Western is now Days Inn

Holiday Inn Express is now Quality Inn

I'm gathering that the Baymont Inn & Suites is the place to be?  From the satellite image, it looks like there's a spacious shopping center parking lot adjacent to the hotel.  Looks like an ideal spot for trailer parking.

Why did it take me so long to make plans to attend this event?  :brickwall:
Gene,
What address do you show for the Quality Inn that is the former Holiday Inn Express?
Back in 2009 there was a Comfort Inn at 2945 HWY 280 Alexander City that is also now a Quality Inn.
Was that the same location or are there two Quality Inn's in Alexander City now?
Just trying to avoid some confusion.
MJ

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on May 02, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
Gene,
What address do you show for the Quality In that is the former Holiday Inn Express?
Back in 2009 there was a Comfort Inn at 2945 HWY 280 Alexander City that is also now a Quality Inn.
Was that the same location or are there two Quality Inn's in Alexander City now?
Just trying to avoid some confusion.
MJ

I won't swear to Mapquest's information since I didn't call any place other than the Baymont, but Mapquest lists the Quality Inn's address as the same one you quoted - 2945 Hwy 280.  Initially my plan was to look at the four recommended hotels and see which location looked the best from the satellite view (e.g. trailer parking, etc.).  When Mapquest didn't show two of the names Doug listed on their map, I did a Google search for the listed hotels.  Somewhere in the search results for the "old" hotel it gave the same address as the "new" hotel - which is how I cross-referenced them.

It wasn't my intention to cause confusion for sure, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass along what I found.

:cheers:

Mopar John

Did anyone watch the spring race at Talladega last weekend?
During the caution laps I get bored and start looking at other things. What I noticed is that the Allison grandstands where we normally sit on the back stretch are GONE! There is just a big slab of cement with a few out buildings left!
I thought I remembered that last year or the year before they had big advertising tarps over the seats so it didn't look so bad with a lack of fans! I e-mailed Doug ( aero426 ) about this and he said several tracks are removing seats so the remaing ones look full or possibly sell out?
MJ

nascarxx29

Where it got started
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Yes, various tracks are reducing capacity to try and increase demand.   Once again, they will be able to say "we had a sellout".   It will also get rid of some the negative talk.   Someone posted this photo on Facebook of Alan Kulwicki at MIS in 1985.    The comment was, "I remember when the grandstands were packed like this".      Well, yeah, if the stands were still short like these, they WOULD still be packed.    Look at an aerial view of MIS today.   Seating capacity increased a LOT during the boom years.    

Kismgby

I have the time off, but it's questionable if I'll be able to attend.   :'(
I opted out of the HRPT this year but need to see if I can get some problems resolved before I can hit the road.  As it is, I pushed the 'tona in the garage in September and shut the door instead of putting a bullet in her.

Mopurr