News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TALLADEGA 2014!

Started by Mopar John, November 02, 2010, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: pettybird on November 17, 2010, 08:13:26 AM
The MMW thing I don't really understand.  it's cool to watch the wings go round (and I certainly won't complain about preferential treatment) but it's an all-Mopar show.  that only some get to play is kind of snobby, and I'm a HUGE wing car snob.  I don't know why there aren't timed admission passes for all of the show cars--it seems like it would draw more people.  

MMW made the move to restrict track laps in part due to the Aero cars' race heritage, and in part because you have to draw the line somewhere.  The show officials took ALL kinds of grief back when things other than Aero cars were on the track (along with the Aero cars, that is), because people questioned "Why can't I take my car out on the track, when a 4-door Coronet gets to go?".  They take a certain amount of grief even now because of other groups that are allowed out in addition to the Aero cars (i.e. the SRT group, the LX group, the Policecar group, etc.).  The show's promoter extended the offer to get on the oval track to those groups in an attempt to bolster their respective participation levels, and it has proven to be a fairly successful move from the show's overall perspective.  That's his prerogative, although the folks who are tasked with actually running the car show end of MMW would actually prefer to go back to just having Aero cars do the laps.  This year they got a taste of how much work it is to make all this happen, since I told them after last year's show that I wasn't coordinating any groups other than the Aero cars.  One too many disgruntled LX/SRT owner chewed me out because they weren't able to do laps after arriving late and missing the mandatory driver's meeting.

It also ends up being a logistics problem.  In order to allow cars on the track, they have to close down pedestrian and vehicle access to the swap meet through the backstretch gate.  The tunnel remains open, but that's a really long walk for pedestrians, and the tunnel doesn't accomodate large vehicles or trailers.  People get rather hot under the collar when they have to wait 15 minutes or longer while the track is cleared & checked, laps run, photos taken, and the cars exit... this happens for each group & subgroup of cars...  It's sortof understood why the Aero cars are on the track (or at least I've never heard any spectators question why that is), but to open it up to nearly 850 cars at 10-15 cars per batch would cause logistical paralysis and way too many complaints beyond what they already receive.

BTW nvrbdn, clones are not excluded, just ask 41husk or moparstuart among others.  As for the non-aero cars that have race heritage, I have feigned arguing that same point as I did in my comment yesterday - while all along understanding that it's better not to go down that road.  It eventually comes back to the point I made above - you have to draw the line somewhere.  Most B-bodies could point to an on-track race heritage of some sort, and E-bodies raced in the Trans-Am series.  Dodge currently has a Charger R/T decal package on the automotive atrocity that parades itself around in the Sprint Cup.  Vipers race all over the place.  What about the Kit cars from the late '70s?  Heck, Neon's are raced too.

In the end, I'm happy that the cars are allowed on any track at all.

nvrbdn

i agree with you all the way, its a huge job to set up and perform. i was lucky to drive a friends wing a few years ago. i just was unsettled when it was written that "it should be special" im a good friend of allen and wouldnt question him driving the laps, just wondered where the artist of "special" and real race cars wanted to draw the line.i personally love to watch the wings and sat and filmed em this year as they went by. got good photos of stuart too. he just said certain cars shouldnt be allowed and that would include a roadrunner. i have to agree though that i wouldnt want to watch every car cruise the track while locked out side of the swap :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

pettybird

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 17, 2010, 09:46:42 AM
is it that only car bodies that raced in nascar should get to circle the track, or that only wing cars and 69 500 chargers should circle the track?

If you're talking about the Aero Warrior Reunion, there are five cars (and their facsimiles) which are honored:  The superbird, daytona, the charger 500, the ford talladega and the mercury cyclone spoiler II. 

nvrbdn

Quote from: pettybird on November 17, 2010, 05:07:35 PM
If you're talking about the Aero Warrior Reunion, there are five cars (and their facsimiles) which are honored:  The superbird, daytona, the charger 500, the ford talladega and the mercury cyclone spoiler II.  

yep, i dropped the ball here. guess i forgot what thread i was reading when i started chatting.  :slap: just slap me to wake me up and ignore what i said.  :rotz: aero would mean "aero cars"  sorry.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mopar John

Today Brad Keselowski driving the Miller Lite Dodge Charger #2 came in 4th pushing an unlikley Dave Blaney to 3rd! This result moved Brad up 3 spots to 3rd in the chase for the championship with 3 races left!
   They were at Talladega and today marks 2 years since we were there! We are almost midway to the next 5 year AERO Warrior Reunion in 2014! It is time to make plans and get those cars done!
Mopar John

pettybird

Quote from: pettybird on November 03, 2010, 08:58:12 AM
I'd make some grandiose prediction of what I'll drive down there but that would prolly lead to another trip in the B5 car.  At least he knows the way!  :lol:

I'll still make some stupid prediction about taking another car, especially now that the B5 car is all pretty, but BOY do I like road tripping in that thing.  Marty drives great but I didn't spend my youth riding around in him  ;)

Brad's been a pretty cool surprise in the chase--he's a good kid doing well.

hemi68charger

Can't wait............. Maybe I'll have a 500 up and running then......... There's so many of those wing cars there...  :D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

If my health holds up and I ain't dead by then.....we plan on being there...it will probably be our last one....we were at the '99 meet...had a blast

Bryan

41husk

I just hope it comes back to StLouis :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: 41husk on October 23, 2011, 11:03:25 PM

:icon_smile_question: :shruggy:  Are you thinking of Monster Mopar?

As for T'Ga 2014 - Can't wait!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Kismgby

If I own an aero car, I'll be there.   :shruggy:

41husk

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on October 24, 2011, 08:42:57 AM
Quote from: 41husk on October 23, 2011, 11:03:25 PM

:icon_smile_question: :shruggy:  Are you thinking of Monster Mopar?

As for T'Ga 2014 - Can't wait!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Yes I was talking Monster Mopar, sorry, I tend to lose my train of thought in my old age :slap:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Lighthorseman

Well, there's MY goal.  Get my "Birdible" together and down to Talladega for 2014.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: Lighthorseman on October 26, 2011, 09:37:48 AM
Well, there's MY goal.  Get my "Birdible" together and down to Talladega for 2014.  :2thumbs:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70Sbird

i've made the last two, I'm hoping the car will hold together for 2014!
It may even be running by then
The engine went back into chassis on Saturday!

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on October 26, 2011, 03:03:36 PM

70Sbird

Quote from: moparstuart on October 26, 2011, 03:23:10 PM
Quote from: 70Sbird on October 26, 2011, 03:03:36 PM
Of course my new transmission mount wont line up and will require "surgery" to make it fit, this crap never ends!!!

Scott Faulkner

Charger_Dart

The only one I ever made it to was in 1994 for the 25th anniversary. It was such a memorable experience to drive my bird on the super speedway. I will never forget it.  :2thumbs:
Still have my t-shirt from the winged car meet. I just have to get another wing car - wish there were a few good deals out there.

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger_Dart on October 26, 2011, 04:05:16 PM
The only one I ever made it to was in 1994 for the 25th anniversary. It was such a memorable experience to drive my bird on the super speedway. I will never forget it.  :2thumbs:
Still have my t-shirt from the winged car meet. I just have to get another wing car - wish there were a few good deals out there.

birds are pretty cheap right now , well i guess in comparison to where they were

Aero426

I just wrote a newsletter article that basically says, "Welcome back to 2003".

Big Bird

That 25 th. " T " shirt brings back fine memories !  That was my first visit, the second was the 40 th., be there for the 45 th. as long as the blood keeps flowing !!
BIG - BIRD :)

gtx6970

I've got my fingers crossed

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on October 26, 2011, 04:37:23 PM

that blue bird at the 'nats WAS a v code car...

Aero426

Thanks, I did correct the description to a V-code before I sent the newsletter to the printer yesterday.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Charger_Dart

Quote from: pettybird on October 27, 2011, 08:57:23 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on October 26, 2011, 04:37:23 PM

that blue bird at the 'nats WAS a v code car...

I spent sometime looking over that car at the Nat's. It was in nice condition, I should of bought it.  :brickwall:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible