News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water neck leaks and Isn't being nice

Started by AmadeusCharger500, November 03, 2010, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I found it seeping at the connection between the water neck and the block. Replaced it with a new gasket and permatex. Now it leaks worse!

any good ideas to fix this permanent so Im not embarassed and worried driving it!?

68coronetGLwannabe

Are you running a stock thermostat housing (neck) or a chrome one? I had a chrome one and could never get it to seal properly so i replaced it with a stock one and no more problems. I think I used Permatex "Right stuff" to seal it.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

FLG

Pull it off, if its pitted grab some sand paper and sand it flat (no need for perfection just get out what ya could) a gasket and "right stuff" will seal that puppy right up. Make sure you let it set up overnight before final torquing.

62 Max

Most are warped,run it on a belt sander.Here is before and after.Shows how bad they can be.

AmadeusCharger500

Chrome neck and a 190 t-stat. I'll try to get a stock unit and use the "Right Stuff"!

Mick70RR

I had a chrome water neck that leaked, checked it out and it had warped. Filed it flat again and it was fine for a few months then started leaking again. I did this several times until I gave up and bought a billet aluminium water neck. Never leaked since the day I fitted it.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

adauto

I also had a chrome neck... filed it flat. It lasted till next season then started seeping again. Replaced with stack and its all good!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

charger2fast4u

since we are on water necks is the 440 source billet aluminum one any good? anyone have any problems with it? does it warp or is the inside diameter hole smaller then the stock one and cause restriced flow? where did you's get your billet aluminum ones from?

Troy

Man, leaking chrome water necks have been an issue since the site prior to the last site - that's since 2001! The best advice is to not use one.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Al

I replaced my stock water neck with a chrome one from Mopar. Installed it with RTV and let it dry for a day before filling in the anti-freeze. No problems so far.
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Long Island RT

Quote from: charger2fast4u on November 08, 2010, 10:52:45 AM
since we are on water necks is the 440 source billet aluminum one any good? anyone have any problems with it? does it warp or is the inside diameter hole smaller then the stock one and cause restriced flow? where did you's get your billet aluminum ones from?

Yes - I have the 440 source one.  No overheating issues, and no warping - but I only have about 500 miles on it.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

adauto

i think the more heat cycles they go thru the worse they get,... just a therory
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

62 Max

I've seen them on cars for years and never leaked a drop.Seems the leaking starts after they have been removed a few times.This one has been on since 1992.

charger2fast4u

Yes - I have the 440 source one.  No overheating issues, and no warping - but I only have about 500 miles on it.
[/quote]

Before you installed it did you happen to do a size comparison with a stock one? Asking because I know there water pump housings have smaller ports then anyone else's and was wondering if the necks are smaller to

Purple68

The billet one I have from 440 source had to have the bolt holes enlarged as they didn't match the MP housing. Also mine has seeped a little too, but it looks nice. :lol:

BigBlockSam

QuoteInstalled it with RTV

me too . chrome housing no problems and it's been several years
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Long Island RT

Quote from: charger2fast4u on November 08, 2010, 10:32:32 PM

Before you installed it did you happen to do a size comparison with a stock one? Asking because I know there water pump housings have smaller ports then anyone else's and was wondering if the necks are smaller to
[/quote]

I don't have their water pump - I have a motor home water pump.  No problems with fitment or flow.  512 stroker with 11:1 compression idles in 90° weather at 200°.  Mechanical fan - no shroud.  Champion 3-row aluminum radiator.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

charger2fast4u

Thanks for the reply Long Island RT sounds like you got a good engine setup ill be building one similar

Al

Just to keep this updated:

After a year of use my chrome water neck from Mopar leaks real bad. When taking it off I noticed it is seriously warped. The cast iron original one is straight even after years of use.

Al

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Al on June 04, 2011, 11:04:20 AM

After a year of use my chrome water neck from Mopar leaks real bad. When taking it off I noticed it is seriously warped. The cast iron original one is straight even after years of use.

Al

After 6 or 7 years my Weldtech Stainless water neck is still leak free...   too bad the price went up so much since I bought it.   http://weldtechstainless.com/

I tossed the _______ brand chrome water neck shortly after I put the car on the road for the stainless job.   That was after I had sanded it smooth several times.   

My advice is get a cast iron stocker,  a billet aluminum,  or the polished stainless....  anything but a parts store chrome piece.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Al

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 04, 2011, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: Al on June 04, 2011, 11:04:20 AM

Al

After 6 or 7 years my Weldtech Stainless water neck is still leak free...   too bad the price went up so much since I bought it.   http://weldtechstainless.com/

I tossed the _______ brand chrome water neck shortly after I put the car on the road for the stainless job.   That was after I had sanded it smooth several times.   

My advice is get a cast iron stocker,  a billet aluminum,  or the polished stainless....  anything but a parts store chrome piece.

:iagree:

That's what I installed right now.