News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gear vendors 727

Started by ozchargerguy, November 12, 2010, 05:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

any1 got gear vendors

yes
13 (56.5%)
no
10 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

ozchargerguy

hi guys thanks for all ur opinions on diff ratios tho i thought of putting in gear vendors what do u think
any1 got them worth the bucks or not

thanks....

elacruze

I wanted to keep the factory 4-speed so a GV was my only way to keep cruising gears. I see no downside except the cost.

If I had an automatic trans to start with, I would have explored late-model overdrive transmissions beforehand. I know nothing about them, just an idea.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

GV = man's greatest innovation, at least since Ann-Margret starred in Viva Las Vegas.  :D  I'm old.  :D

GV allows my 660 hp Hemi, with 4.10s, to get 16 mpg on the open road, and it's bombproof. What could be better?

Here's a story to go with it. The GV came with my Road Runner, I didn't install it. Previous owner made the decision to invest. Had I been building my car myself, I would have stuck to a real world budget and wouldn't have included the GV due to initial cost.

And that would have been a mistake on my part !!  :rotz:  I know now what I didn't know then. GV radically changes the nature of the beast and I would today budget for one from the beginning.

So if at all possible build the car and install the GV now.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Chargen69

what kind of mileage could i see on my almost normal 383 with a GV overdrive? 

68X426

Your mileage may vary !! It all depends on your ratio gearing, your type of driving conditions, and most of all your right foot. There was once a thread here about mileage, I posted that I was getting from 3 to 16 mpg depending on the above. And I still do see that range.

With another few thousand miles on the car this year (Road Runner, Hemi, 4.10) here are real world results: when not hot rodding, I get 16 highway with GV, turning off GV gets 12. I see a 33% improvement in mpg. GV says it is typically 22-28%. By the way I see added top end performance because of the ratio reduction (lots of rpm available at 100 mph). I will endorse GV for both mileage and top end performance.

I don't work for Gear Vendors by the way.

From their website:

GEAR VENDORS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Fuel Economy - how much will my vehicle gain?

All GEAR VENDORS products come with a money back guarantee so you know you can realize the mileage gains we claim *see warranty for details.

Cars — virtually any car that does not have a factory overdrive gear is going to gain 22-28% typically by adding the GEAR VENDORS OVERDRIVE. Exceptions would be a car with say an unusually tall diff gear like say 2.73 where the engine really is quite low in rpm at cruise already. But for all us performance guys who run 3.42 to 4.10s you are looking at something near 25% gain in mpg at highway speeds. If your car has forced induction (supercharger) plan on even bigger gains — not uncommon for blown car to get 100% better fuel economy with the GEAR VENDORS simply because the overdrive is also slowing down the blower, plus reducing heat internally in the blowers charge area.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

WHITE AND RED 69

Soon as I upgrade a few more things and have the cash I'm getting one. Cant wait get out of the slow lane on the freeway! and the better mileage, single digit mpg is hurting the wallet.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

jb666

I LOVE my GV unit. Like someone else said, they are bullet proof... It made cruising with gears a joy... I HIGHLY recommend GV  :cheers: :cheers:

ozchargerguy

thats awsome il be getting them for sure..... :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

Love mine.

Forum members prolly get sick of me saying this, but the only problem I have is finding friends with highway gears who can keep up.  I've found with my set up that I get worse mileage when I have to run 55-60.  

It's definitely great cruising the fast lane.  People always do a double take when looking in their side view mirror.  No more slow lane with people waiting until the last minute to cut you off for their exit.  

mikesbbody

The only complaint I have heard is about the "Gear Splitting" not the O/D
I don't have GV would I want one? you bet I would.

flyinlow

I went with the a518  transmission .69 OD and lock up converter. about 2-3 mpg increase on the road with a 3.55 axle.  2000 rpm at 70mph. Best mod to the car I have done.

Mick70RR

I have a Gear Vendors overdrive behind a 4 speed and can't recommend them highly enough. I am the only customer in the UK to blow one up. I sent an email to GV explaining the situation and got a phone call from Rick Johnson the company president 15 minutes later. He arranged a free of charge rebuild which was carried out at Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield UK. I had it back and in the car less than a week later even though it needed a new clutch and clutch band. These parts were sent overnight by GV to Sheffield. The overdrive was 18 months old when it let go so I'm not even sure it was still under warranty.  :2thumbs:
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

ozchargerguy

Quote from: flyinlow on November 13, 2010, 05:39:56 AM
I went with the a518  transmission .69 OD and lock up converter. about 2-3 mpg increase on the road with a 3.55 axle.  2000 rpm at 70mph. Best mod to the car I have done.

how much did it all cost you? did u have too modify your cross member?

flyinlow

about $1200  , yes significant crossmember mods, bought a spare incase I ever want to go back. Never will.

ozchargerguy

Quote from: flyinlow on November 13, 2010, 09:02:59 PM
about $1200  , yes significant crossmember mods, bought a spare incase I ever want to go back. Never will.

cool well dont blame you  ;)

Wicked72

I was looking into the GV and I dont know what to do... I am going with a man trans so I could use a t56 but the hp rating isnt what I need unless I can modify it. so I was thinking of going with a 4 spd and GV. How much HP can a stock 4spd handle?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

red79

833 can handle quite a lot of torque, but gv always seemed like a waste on it unless you're dragging--rather than the split shifts you get when you add it to a 727, gv+833 only really gives you one extra gear (overdrive). At that rate, might as well get a late-70s 833OD for much cheaper, and either do some bellhousing magic or swap the internals into an earlier case.

Bobs69

Don't be mislead like I was.  You have 6 forward gears, but can only use for of them at once.  You need to choose where you want to split the gear then you are stuck with the unit engaged.

You can not go for 1 to 1 over to 2 direct then 2 over etc

You go 1 go 1 over 2 direct then 3 direct

or 1 direct to 2 direct then 2 over and 3 over.

I was very clear on my expectations and obviously the guy I talked to didn't know any better, or just lied, because I would have went to a 5 speed instead.

sixty8charger

oh once i am at that level of the build.. i definitely want one!!!
Jayson

adauto

I've always wanted one, but never took the plunge. I've thought of a 518 , but on a HEMI, and the bell housing and blah blah blah... I run 3.23's now because I do lots of freeway driving. According to GV's website I could go with 3.91's and in OD be like 3.04's that would be so cool. But I'm still not comfortable doing any tunnel mods AND really like the idea of being able to split shift! I had lots of fun running my old C65 chevy flatbed running 5/2. Somebody on C-C had a crap load of probs trying to accomplish it.I dont even think it was ever resolved. But I could be wrong.
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

472 R/T SE

Quote from: red79 on November 20, 2010, 10:39:12 PM
833 can handle quite a lot of torque, but gv always seemed like a waste on it unless you're dragging--rather than the split shifts you get when you add it to a 727, gv+833 only really gives you one extra gear (overdrive). At that rate, might as well get a late-70s 833OD for much cheaper, and either do some bellhousing magic or swap the internals into an earlier case.

Like mentioned, that's all you get with a 727 as well.

mauve66

so they are false advertising when they say "you can get 6 full throttle up-shifts" in their documents
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Bobs69

Quote from: mauve66 on November 22, 2010, 10:13:54 AM
so they are false advertising when they say "you can get 6 full throttle up-shifts" in their documents

YUP!  I was horned right up over the thought of it.  I even spelled it out to the guy on the phone.  1 direct to 1 over to 2 direct to 2 over to 3 direct then 3 over.  He agreed and told me that the 727 is one of the best trannies and why would I even consider trading it for a new 5 speed setup. 

You also aren't suppose to use it for an engine break.

elacruze

Quote from: Bobs69 on November 21, 2010, 02:18:42 PM
Don't be mislead like I was.  You have 6 forward gears, but can only use for of them at once.  You need to choose where you want to split the gear then you are stuck with the unit engaged.

You can not go for 1 to 1 over to 2 direct then 2 over etc

You go 1 go 1 over 2 direct then 3 direct

or 1 direct to 2 direct then 2 over and 3 over.

I was very clear on my expectations and obviously the guy I talked to didn't know any better, or just lied, because I would have went to a 5 speed instead.
How can the unit fail to follow command when it's a simple two-wire solenoid which controls a simple bypass valve?
If that is so, how can the kickdown function properly?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Bobs69

Oh it follows command.  Instantly.  It's a seperate piece itself.  The kickdown linkage is hooked up as normal.  They send you a different tail stock and parking prawl.  The 2 work independant of each other.  If you are in 2 over and want to goto 3 direct you'd better have good timing.  The 2 don't communicate with each other.  Very unfortunate.