News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats a better transmission for my 73' 360 dodge charger 727 or 904

Started by d nutt, November 15, 2010, 03:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d nutt

Hi everyone, I'm new here (to dodge and this forum) but i need an honest answer.
my trans died on me yesterday afternoon and i found a few already to replace it, but id like to know which is a better transmission the 727 or the 904?
My Chevys eat fords
and
my Dodge eats imports

1973 dodge Charger s/e -Elizabeth 1972 Chevy Vega gt -Sally 1969 Chevy Nova SS - Jane 1973 Chevy Nova - Cristine

69chargerrt440

When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

Brock Samson

welcome to the site,.. No question a 727 was one of the best Transmissions Ever made! the 904, not so much,..

d nutt

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 15, 2010, 03:53:16 PM
welcome to the site,...

and im only asking becasue i have no clue whatsoever about the inner workings of Mopar :scratchchin:. ive found a few sweet deals on the 727 but the sweetest deal i found was with the 904 but i do thank you both for the input. I feel its always better to ask someone who has more experience :2thumbs:
My Chevys eat fords
and
my Dodge eats imports

1973 dodge Charger s/e -Elizabeth 1972 Chevy Vega gt -Sally 1969 Chevy Nova SS - Jane 1973 Chevy Nova - Cristine

John_Kunkel

My decision would be influenced by what's already there, if the car is already equipped with a 904 you have to compare the expense of changing over to a 727. The 904 can definitely be built to handle a stout 360 but it costs more than to build a 727 with the same capability.

The clutch disc in a 727 has exactly twice the surface area of that in the 904 and the apply pistons in thew 727 are larger so the same hydraulic pressure will apply the 727 clutches tighter. The 727 kickdown band has nearly twice the surface area of the 904.

Lighter weight and less parasitic drag are about the only things the 904 has going for it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.