News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapping 383 for 440 and have torque convertor compatibilty?

Started by oldcarnut, November 15, 2010, 01:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

This was longer than I intended but bear with me . I have pulled the original 383 from the 70 RR and going to put in a 440.  I have changed directions about what I was going to install in my Bird clone for an engine so I have a couple of questions or need some input about anything unforeseen what I may be getting in to.  I had bought a 440 and 6 pak setup to rebuild as posted on another thread or 2 to put in and thought I'd keep a fairly mild build to run.  That motor is currently in the machine shop getting worked over.  What I have almost about convinced myself to do is take the built 440 engine currently in my 69 Coronet RT and use it instead but before I do, I'm not sure about a few things that think I need to get more info. on.  Before anyone gets concerned the RT motor is a non numbers 67 block.  The new motor will go in the R/T when I sell it or keep it  :shruggy:
About the R/T motor:  The motor was built shortly before I got it supposedly built by a speed shop in lower Georgia that also did the 4spd conversion.  The owner was supposed to send me a bunch of receipts for the said expensive job but I never got them for me to know what exactly what the specs or what was done to it.  I thought he had told me that the RPM intake, carb, cam package, and etc was all matched together but I don't know which one. It does have the adj. gold crane rollers, a lumpy cam and I think was drawing around 7 vac but I will recheck and while the vlv covers are off, get a lift measurement.  It is a very strong pulling engine but best responds starting with mid 2K rpms and higher.  It was hooked up to an 18 spine 4sp and 4:10 gears but I changed to 3:55's same as the RR.  Question is will the 383 727 TC work for this motor and is the TC in the pic the right one (grey)?  I read that its supposed to fit ok but I wasn't sure for this application. It looks to have been replaced before and the od. size is 11 1/8, not 10 3/4.  The bc is 10".  Only numbers on the TC are A493 and a 8544.  Front has maybe a date code of 93 yellow painted.  Any advise please on a better unit or just clean it out as the fluid was clean at the change.  Mostly for normal street usage and some occasional tire spinning under hard acceleration.  11-24 back to rebuilding the new one for it.  Rather know what I have.

firefighter3931

The Grey converter is the same size as a 383 converter, commonly referred to as an 11in unit. All 440's came with the 12in converter which is the blue one in your pic. The smaller converter should give you additional stall speed. It might not be enough stall for your build and without knowing the cam specs it's a guess at best. Given a choice between the two I would definately use the Grey 11in converter  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lighting74

or u can change the stock 11 inch flexplate to a stock 10 inch flexplate off a small block and put a stock 10 inch converter out of a smallblock 727  depending on the weight of the vechile and hi po parts in the motor and can gain stalls from 2200 rpm to 2400 rpm