News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

have access to montero seats, should I swap em?

Started by Silver R/T, August 01, 2005, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Ive got access to nice leather like new condition montero leather seats. My uncle had one and he parted out another parts car. I wondered how would they feel/fit in my charger. hmm just a wild idea.. oh ya they smell great too, unlike my torn up rat nested seats that smell like some a&&
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

heres link btw, but I can get them in better looking color, charcoal, and leave rear seat way it is. Id probably would have to modify brackets for them

link fixed
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/MitsubishiMontero/Images/FrontSeats.jpg

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BigBlackDodge

Do they tilt forward to allow for access to the rear seats?

BBD

Silver R/T

as far as I remember ya they tilt front rear, unlike charger (another PITA that I hate, I usually like to put my seat down, more comfy when driving that way, although I have to sit pretty straight to see over high dashboard, (no wonder chinese hate US cars, they cant see over steering wheel)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

kab69440

They look as though they may be too wide to fit in a console car. If you do not have a console, they may work. Look downright comfy, too!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Silver R/T

ya ill measure them next time im out there, he was thinking throwing them in his bobcat but for some cash hed let me have em

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Old Moparz

Silver R/T,

I would try to fabricate a bracket to make them work if they aren't too wide, they look nice. I found a set of brown leather seats from a Lebaron ragtop in a junk yard for $100 a while back. They are in great shape & the driver's seat is power. I tested the motor & actually have it sitting loose in my Charger right now with the console. I'll try to make a bracket & make it work, & if it doesn't, the stock seats will go back in. The rear seat won't fit, but I'm hoping to get an upholstery shop to use the cover & modify it to the original seat frame.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Silver R/T

ya that sounds like idea, though theyre leather and I would take leather over vinyl any day, besides I could have them cheap from uncle vs price of new COVERS (only) then I have to mess with putting them on and my drivers side one foam is all messed up and smells too funny

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dave68RT

'68 Charger R/T

FastbackJon

I hate when people take the easy way out and put non stock parts in their car just because they don't want to restore the originals.

Don't "japaneseafy" your car. Get the original seats redone, it will look much better, and you won't be kicking yourself down the road.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Silver R/T

lets see
'japanese' vs "number matching :)"
cost less            cost more
more comfy      less comfy
leather                 cheap possibly china made vinyl
can install mysell      have to pay someone to snug those suckers on
have leather headrest        no headrest
recline                     do not recline
power                     no power
can run aftermarket   hard to run safety harness esp with no headrests
safety harness
oh ya did i mention price too... and ill be getting whole seats
no corroded frame with rotted out dried out foam that will stink even if i put on new covers

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FastbackJon

:blahblah:

If you want comfy japanese seats, just buy a japanese car. They don't belong in american muscle. Your swapping out seats is like someone taking out their 426 Hemi to put in a chevy 350 because its easier and cheaper.

:mrt:

:nutkick: :slap:
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

mustanghater

wow is everyone puting non mopar seats in chargers now? chevelle seats now montaro seats! why don't you put magnum seats or 300 seats
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

FastbackJon

Chryco Psycho

Shakey

I hate when people force their opinions down your throat.

If you have a chance at some decent seats, you like them, they are comfortable and you are not building a numbers matching trailer queen to compete in shows across the continent - go for it.  If you plan on driving and enjoying the car - go for it.

If I were not going for that 1969 factory look I would be buying a set of used seats from a 2005 Cadillac De Ville.

I rented one of these cars on my trip to CA a few weeks back and they were simply amazing.  The feature I liked best was the fact that they were air conditioned.  The leather was perforated and the seat was equiped with small "muffin" fans and I am going to assume seperate evaporators.  Three speeds to choose from and talk about comfortable.  This AC feature came in handy when I was in the central part of the state and the ambient was 102 degrees F.

Silver R/T

Quote from: mustanghater on August 02, 2005, 12:08:14 PM
wow is everyone puting non mopar seats in chargers now? chevelle seats now montaro seats! why don't you put magnum seats or 300 seats

I would agree with Chryco and Shakey, see some people understand my point
I might just do it if I could find cheap set.
why put disc brakes on your car if you want 'all original' why go with disc brakes?
Im into hot rods not stock rebuild/number matching crap, no offense but if youre into that more power to you. I like when car performs good and feels great on the road. those stock seats do not make me feel like im in control of the car esp if Im making turns and I do not find them comfortable at all.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

psykicpup

my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Troy

Before jumping on other people for "forcing" their opinions... remember that this thread is asking for opinions.
Title: "have access to montero seats, should I swap em?"

If someone wants to do it their own way then why ask the question - just do it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Jon Smith

I pulled the original seats out of mine and put in some jaguar ones, after all you've got to sit in the damn things

psykicpup

I stand corrected Troy ...I guess that some of the more agressive tones used made me feel a little defensive ....sorry
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Old Moparz

Quote from: Jon Smith on August 03, 2005, 12:54:23 PM
I pulled the original seats out of mine and put in some jaguar ones, after all you've got to sit in the damn things

Do the Jaguar seats leak oil?   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

tomonty

It's your car and your ass, so put whatever seats in it that you like...
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

FastbackJon

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 03, 2005, 12:25:10 PM
I like when car performs good and feels great on the road. those stock seats do not make me feel like im in control of the car esp if Im making turns and I do not find them comfortable at all.

I've driven your car. It feels out of control because your front end is shot and not aligned. Not because of the seats.

I have stock seats in all my Chargers and love them. I never feel uncomfortable in them.

Besides, its a freaking musclecar. You don't drive musclecars for comfort like you do driving granny's cadillac.

Just swapping in japanese seats because they are cheaper is extremely bad taste. I also say leave all that "hot rodding" stuff to the hot rodders with the '20's, '30's and '40's cars. What are you going to want to do next? Chop and channel the roof, shave the door handles, and then french the taillights??

:smilielol:

I wonder if the people of the messageboard would STILL be saying "its his car, let him do what he wants."

DOUBTFUL

Old Moparz

Bob                

FastbackJon

If he knew what he wanted to do he wouldn't be on the messageboard asking for opinions now would he??

:nutkick:

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 02:25:31 PM
If he knew what he wanted to do he wouldn't be on the messageboard asking for opinions now would he??

I ask opinions looking for new ideas, etc, I dont care if someone like fastbackjon doesnt like 'japanese seat' if I like them Ill put them in. And looks like more people agree that aftermarket seats are way to go. Just cause its muscle car means it cant have comfy seats, since when, did you write that rule or what. Oh ya and I like idea on frenched tail lights

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Old Moparz

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 02:25:31 PM

I think it's really about his post count though.   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

FastbackJon

I'd much rather see my wife wearing a nice evening dress (stock seats), even though she might be more comfortable in some cheap sweat pants (japanese seats).

I'll take form over function, thank you.

As for frenched taillights on a Charger.... :puke:

Don't waste your money. Sell the car to someone who will do it right and not the cheap and easy way.

I'm afraid to see what your quarter panel replacement and body work will look like.

"Trust the krylon touch"

:scared:  :scared:

Shakey

Quote from: Troy on August 03, 2005, 12:32:53 PM
Before jumping on other people for "forcing" their opinions... remember that this thread is asking for opinions.
Title: "have access to montero seats, should I swap em?"

If someone wants to do it their own way then why ask the question - just do it.

Troy

Troy, I know what the topic is all about and realize Silver asked a question.   What bothers me is the tone and the choice of words that people use.   I have mentioned it before, it is not what you say it is how you say it!

In the end, it don't really matter.

Shakey

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 02:52:15 PM
I'd much rather see my wife wearing a nice evening dress (stock seats), even though she might be more comfortable in some cheap sweat pants (japanese seats).

What about what she wants?

Troy

I know what the intentions were - I was just stating the obvious (which always manages to get me in trouble). :P

Troy

MGBRingo

Here is the way you should respond to a QUESTION like he asked.

I would not do it, but it is your car and your money.   IMHO after market seats are comfortable but do not look good.  If I am looking only for comfort then I would do it.  If I want a car that is very close to original, which I do, then I would not do it.  And I am not a numbers matching, at all costs person.

It is still your car and your money.  If you do not want opinions, whatever they may be, don't ask,

Silver R/T

Im not offended if someone thinks my decision is bad or whatever, as far as those seats they look better than stock seats in my opinion. At least Ill know I wont slide side to side when taking corners (and I do not have such fat ass that just sticks to stock seat like sticky pad) i guess most of you missed my previous reply when I compared stock seat vs aftermarket, did you see how many more better points aftermarket seat has? including head rests also. now about being cheap, i would say stock seats are cheap ass vinyl crap something that would be made in China. It DOESN'T even compare to leather quality.
Jon you do not have wife, so why would you think what your 'wife' would want to wear.
If I had wife id rather have her wear short dress than old grannie dress with lots of holes in it made to look like its something special (stock seat covers)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

If you want a new car (and all the amenities) then drive one of those. If you don't like the original style then change it. I'd say that most (not all) people who own classic musclecars cars like to leave them as classics. Insulting them for leaving a car original is no better than having them question your judgement. Do whatever you like with it but be prepared for the good and bad reactions.

You completely missed Jon's comparison to a wfe.

Troy

FastbackJon

Quote from: Shakey on August 03, 2005, 03:06:37 PM
Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 02:52:15 PM

What about what she wants?

So you're implying the car can decide for itself which seats it wants?? That's deep. But really, you're missing the analogy as well.

FastbackJon

I agree with troy that most people leave their muscle cars as is and do not hot rod them or modify them too much. People like nostalgia, and me included. Putting new junk in an old car only lessens your car's nostalgic effect and coolness to boot. That's why with my cars I'll make modifications but they have to look like they are from the period (late '60's/early '70's). Anything else just looks cheap, out of place and poorly executed.

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 06:51:10 PM
I agree with troy that most people leave their muscle cars as is and do not hot rod them or modify them too much. People like nostalgia, and me included. Putting new junk in an old car only lessens your car's nostalgic effect and coolness to boot. That's why with my cars I'll make modifications but they have to look like they are from the period (late '60's/early '70's). Anything else just looks cheap, out of place and poorly executed.

'coolness'? lol now that sounded like a geek would've said it

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Recharger

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 01, 2005, 08:54:31 PM
Do they tilt forward to allow for access to the rear seats?

BBD

Silver, I think you missed BBD's point when he asked this question.  He's not asking if you can lean the seat back and drive like a pimp, he's asking if they'll tilt forward so someone can get in the back seat.  The Montero's a 4-door, so the seats probably don't tilt forward...no reason to.  I'd double check on that before you go any farther with it.  Also, check out the height of them...they look kinda tall (not to mention wide).  I personally think those seats look a little too big & bulky to look right in a Charger, even if they do fit.  Just my  :Twocents:

Silver R/T

Ive already answered, they do tilt forward ...in one of my previous posts

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FastbackJon

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 03, 2005, 07:22:28 PM
'coolness'? lol now that sounded like a geek would've said it

Owww, that really hurts coming from someone whose first language isn't even english.

:bawling:   :smilielol:

You're the geek dude. Remember my post in the off topic forum about someone (you) calling me a geek?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,828.0.html

I even apologized and voluntarily removed your name from that post but you just can't leave it alone can you.

:image_294343:

8WHEELER

:popcrn:  500 posts the Energizer Bunny WOW

I keep my seats stock because they pretty much only go to car shows, I do like the looks
of the stock 68 seats and have never had a sliding problem, But I will gladly admit they
are not the most comfortable seats in the world for sure.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

FastbackJon

Stock '68 Charger seats can have headrests, like on my '68, but I've never used them. Not in my '74 Dart either, or in the '93 Jimmy with the high back seats. I never lean my head back and relax when driving, I like to be attentive at the wheel. The only thing they are good for is if you get rear ended and are in a whiplash situation.

But still it just doesn't make sense. You want super comfy seats, but also at the same time you want ones that will hold you firm in place like you are doing Dukes of Hazzard Stunts.

:shruggy:

And for the record, who here has EVER had a problem with sliding around on their stock Charger bucket seats? NOT ME!

If you really don't want to slide around on your stock bucket seats, JUST WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

Man, too much common sense there, I'm starting to sound like Troy.

:lol:

Jon Smith

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 03, 2005, 01:08:09 PM
Quote from: Jon Smith on August 03, 2005, 12:54:23 PM

Do the Jaguar seats leak oil?   :icon_smile_big:
How did you know? ;D

Old Moparz

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 04, 2005, 02:28:11 AM

And for the record, who here has EVER had a problem with sliding around on their stock Charger bucket seats? NOT ME!

I have, in my old '69 SE after using Armor-All on them.   :icon_smile_big:   I like the way the old seats look, but I also enjoy the comfort of a modern seat. Side bolsters, lumbar support, 6 & 8 way power, & if you really want to go all out, find some with heaters in them. If I were restoring the car to stock, it's a no brainer to use original seats. I'm after the same thing a lot of other people have done by putting in modern seats. I wouldn't just drill new holes & throw them in, I'd try to coordinate the entire interior so it looks like it belongs.

Yes, it'll be custom, but then I had a subscription to Street Rodder Magazine for years too. I love seeing things without squeezable factory hose clamps.
               Bob                

FastbackJon

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 04, 2005, 10:37:40 AM
I have, in my old '69 SE after using Armor-All on them.  :icon_smile_big:  I like the way the old seats look, but I also enjoy the comfort of a modern seat. Side bolsters, lumbar support, 6 & 8 way power, & if you really want to go all out, find some with heaters in them. If I were restoring the car to stock, it's a no brainer to use original seats. I'm after the same thing a lot of other people have done by putting in modern seats. I wouldn't just drill new holes & throw them in, I'd try to coordinate the entire interior so it looks like it belongs.

Yeah, I've heard stories about guys armoralling their seats and sliding around. I'll agree fully that aftermarket seats arn't all that bad if you do coordinate the entire interior so they look like they belong there. But that costs a ton of money and then goes Silver's main reason for putting the aftermarket seats in the first place. I'm just afraid he'll just get them, dye them black, drill some holes, and bolt them down to the floor, and I know it will look terrible.

RECHRGD has some '70 or '71 high back seats in his '68 Charger with a stock interior (B&M shifter excluded) and they don't look out too of place. I think most people don't even notice they arn't stock.

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 04, 2005, 12:54:56 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on August 04, 2005, 10:37:40 AM
I have, in my old '69 SE after using Armor-All on them. :icon_smile_big: I like the way the old seats look, but I also enjoy the comfort of a modern seat. Side bolsters, lumbar support, 6 & 8 way power, & if you really want to go all out, find some with heaters in them. If I were restoring the car to stock, it's a no brainer to use original seats. I'm after the same thing a lot of other people have done by putting in modern seats. I wouldn't just drill new holes & throw them in, I'd try to coordinate the entire interior so it looks like it belongs.

Yeah, I've heard stories about guys armoralling their seats and sliding around. I'll agree fully that aftermarket seats arn't all that bad if you do coordinate the entire interior so they look like they belong there. But that costs a ton of money and then goes Silver's main reason for putting the aftermarket seats in the first place. I'm just afraid he'll just get them, dye them black, drill some holes, and bolt them down to the floor, and I know it will look terrible.

RECHRGD has some '70 or '71 high back seats in his '68 Charger with a stock interior (B&M shifter excluded) and they don't look out too of place. I think most people don't even notice they arn't stock.

you dont know shit what ill do, I can weld and its not hard at all for me to weld up custom brackets. I should put in them just to annoy your annoying ass. In the end my 68 will look better than anything youve got fastbackjon. No bashing please

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FastbackJon

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 04, 2005, 02:46:45 PM
you dont know shit what ill do, I can weld and its not hard at all for me to weld up custom brackets. I should put in them just to annoy your annoying ass. In the end my 68 will look better than anything youve got fastbackjon. No bashing please

Custom brackets to go with your stock japanese seats in your Charger! Wow, I'll be amazed!! Are you going to chrome finish them too? Not that cheap chrome, but the show chrome stuff? Man that will be so much better than anything I've ever owned.

So where are you going to get all this money to restore your Charger to perfection, and to buy a '70 Challenger, '67 440 Charger, '63/'64 Impala SS, and '70 'Cuda to restore like you've told me so many times you are going to get, when you have no job??

:o

You have a money farm somewhere that I don't know about?? If so, I want in!

:boogie:

Silver R/T

look 'buddy' I dont want no 67 440 ok? you can have that rusted out turd, and Ive said I wouldnt mind 70 challenger OR cuda also like 63 impala yes,
now if im gonna be like an ass like yourself where is your fuc99en mad max replica did you buy it yet? oh how about that 70 kowalski replica, oh did you collect all the 66/67 chargers in your garage like you told me you want to?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twilt

i will never understand why people ask questions like this.  ( and in this case get pissed when someone has a different point of view)  What color should i paint my car?  what size engine is better?  blah blah blah.
its your car, do to it as you see fit.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

FastbackJon

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 04, 2005, 04:23:14 PM
look 'buddy' I dont want no 67 440 ok? you can have that rusted out turd, and Ive said I wouldnt mind 70 challenger OR cuda also like 63 impala yes,
now if im gonna be like an ass like yourself where is your fuc99en mad max replica did you buy it yet? oh how about that 70 kowalski replica, oh did you collect all the 66/67 chargers in your garage like you told me you want to?

:blahblah:

Wow what a change. We should call you "Mr. ReversoDeOpiniono". You tell me you have cash in your hand and just need to find a tow truck to tow the '67 440 Charger home from Texas. You brag to me about how cool it is going to be, and what color you are going to paint it, what wheels, the hood scoop. And also you constantly send me ebay links to challengers, telling me you have one almost bought and you want me to go with you to California tow it back.

Yeah I'd love to have an interceptor, but I don't go around telling people that I have one that I'm getting ready to bring home when in reality I don't have the money.

Ohhh.... REALITY CHECK!

Runner

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 03, 2005, 02:20:39 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on August 03, 2005, 12:25:10 PM
I like when car performs good and feels great on the road. those stock seats do not make me feel like im in control of the car esp if Im making turns and I do not find them comfortable at all.

Besides, its a freaking musclecar. You don't drive musclecars for comfort like you do driving granny's cadillac.

i drive my 68 satellite every day because........   cars were designed around men back then. im just to tall for most modern cars.    i dont have to reach for the steering wheel and im just very comfortable in it.          i personally love the 70 up high back seats like i have in my roadrunner. i find them very comfy.    i also like some degree of a stock style interior   ( i may at some point put 70 up highbacks in my 68 if i can get over the fact that the dont belong in there)

on the flip side i have no problem at all with using scarebird brake adapters and hanging chevy calipers on my satellite.   

i also think that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone did things the same way.       one thing i would caution you on, if you do this swap keep your stock seats. you may want them back at some point.    its your car do to it what ever you like.         

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six