News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help fuel pressure regulator

Started by charge1, December 12, 2010, 06:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge1

I think i need a fuel pressure regulator, and dont know which one to buy I have a mild build 440 with dual eddie 600s. I currently have around 9 lbs of pressure is this to much.

red79

why do you think you need a regulator--are your carbs flooding?

eddie 600s want a pressure regulator if you have more than 6.5 psi in the fuel line. you said you have 9 psi right now, and dual carbs--but where did you measure the pressure? i.e., before the split to each carb, or after?

as far as my knowledge of hydraulics goes, if you split a line between two outlets, each the same diameter of the original line, each outlet will see half the original pressure. so for 9 psi out of the pump, each of the carbs would see 4.5 psi.

maxwellwedge

I'm thinking the pressure would be the same unless one of the splits was leaking.

I'm thinking the volume would be reduced.

What kind of pump are you using putting out 9 lbs  -  Electric?

charge1

Quote from: red79 on December 12, 2010, 08:53:01 PM
why do you think you need a regulator--are your carbs flooding?

eddie 600s want a pressure regulator if you have more than 6.5 psi in the fuel line. you said you have 9 psi right now, and dual carbs--but where did you measure the pressure? i.e., before the split to each carb, or after?

as far as my knowledge of hydraulics goes, if you split a line between two outlets, each the same diameter of the original line, each outlet will see half the original pressure. so for 9 psi out of the pump, each of the carbs would see 4.5 psi.

the car does run a little rich  and after reading some post i just thought 9 lbs was too much
my guage is before the split

red79

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 12, 2010, 08:57:53 PM
I'm thinking the pressure would be the same unless one of the splits was leaking.

pressure is a function of the difference in the cross sectional areas of the lines, and you can get pretty much anything you want by varying sizes (that's how brakes work). on the other hand, volumetric rate is easily calculated--just divide the fuel pump rate (gal/min or whatever) by the number of splits.

now when it comes to knowing if you have enough/too much fuel pressure, you need to be able to maintain pressure at a flow rate high enough not to starve your carb. pumps are rated at psi through a standard size fuel line.

charge1

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 12, 2010, 08:57:53 PM

What kind of pump are you using putting out 9 lbs  -  Electric?

I'm using a carter mechanical i will have to look up the model #

red79

Quote from: charge1 on December 12, 2010, 09:05:40 PM
the car does run a little rich

probably can be fixed by jetting, especially if the dual 600s haven't been set up for your motor--that's a lot of carb for a mild 440 like you described

charge1

Quote from: red79 on December 12, 2010, 09:46:16 PM
Quote from: charge1 on December 12, 2010, 09:05:40 PM
the car does run a little rich

probably can be fixed by jetting, especially if the dual 600s haven't been set up for your motor--that's a lot of carb for a mild 440 like you described

Its mild compared to some of the members monsters here but it was built and dyno tuned by indy.

red79

Quote from: charge1 on December 12, 2010, 09:57:31 PM
Its mild compared to some of the members monsters here but it was built and dyno tuned by indy.

haha thanks for clarifying... i'm sure indy did a fine job of jetting :lol:

i suppose you could always drop them a line for recommendations