News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing a shift kit from a 727 tranny

Started by willy, December 09, 2010, 02:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy

What is involved in removing the shift kit from my 727 transmission? It shifts way to hard for normal driving, especially going into 3rd gear. Or is it just a pressure adjustment?
Thanks, Willy

John_Kunkel

Depends on the type of kit but all kits either replace or modify the original parts so that you would  need those parts to remove the kit.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

willy

John, I don't know what kind of shift kit is in it and I don't have any of the original parts. The person I bought the car from just said it had a shift kit in it.
Would someone that works on these transmissions be able to tell by dropping the pan?
Thanks, Willy

John_Kunkel

Your best bet is to find a stock valve body of the correct year.

nvrbdn

when i took auto tech back in the day we would put shift kits in transmissions. it was simply putting more fluid pressure through the valve body by drilling out the steel gasket in the valve body. you could buy a kit that had the gasket in it or you just drill yours out. there was a chart that told us which holes to drill. i agree with find valve body or check on a stock kit if they make one.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

oldkimmer

.............U can adj the pressure down on the valve body pressure regulator........drop the pan...u will see an allen headed bolt........turn clockwise to reduce pressure...........prolly 4-6 turns.........kim......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John_Kunkel

Some kits replace the pressure regulator valve spring with a stiffer one so the threaded adjuster is near it's original position.