News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ORIGINAL PAINT DAYTONAS ???

Started by Mopar John, December 08, 2010, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

There is a lot of interest in the one owner Daytona with SOME original paint in the other post. I am wondering how many Daytonas survive today with the original Chrysler/Creative paint jobs??

Mopar John

Alright, I'll get this started! Here is a original paint Daytona.

nascarxx29

My old R4 car had original paint and cracking stripes
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Richard Cranium

The paint job coming from Creative had to have been horrible. Heck, even in this black & white photo you can see the gloss difference between the door, quarter, and fender.   :eek2:

I am Dr. Remulac

Mopar John

Quote from: Richard Cranium on December 09, 2010, 10:28:14 AM
The paint job coming from Creative had to have been horrible. Heck, even in this black & white photo you can see the gloss difference between the door, quarter, and fender.   :eek2:

Richard,
Do you think the differance between the gloss is because the factory may have put the freshly painted body through some sort of oven? Or is it just a rush job at Creative?

hemi68charger

Here are some of Jim McCauleys from Legendarycollector's website...

Love picture #3.. Looks like the tech at Creative just grabbed a red sidemarker bezel, painted it black and shove it in the hole after the stripe was applied.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

more
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

more
Troy

hemi68charger

more
Troy

hemi68charger

lastly
#1: appears to have the usual overspray on the headlamp vacuum hoses from the painting of the front clip.
Troy

nascarxx29

Remember one story in MCG by ex worker from Creative Ind Bob Celestine they would see who could paint the the fastest.And we know the daytona basically is painted twice .So they could get the overspray on nose seals headlight trim rings washer bottle etc during conversion.And factor in random workmanship.My car was missing backseat buttons and rad support drilled holes for plastic retainer just to name a few

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Mopar John on December 09, 2010, 10:31:03 AM
Do you think the differance between the gloss is because the factory may have put the freshly painted body through some sort of oven? Or is it just a rush job at Creative?

Both, but looking at the lack of gloss on the green car, one has to wonder if they "forgot" to put the hardener in the enamel paint.
I am Dr. Remulac

hemigeno

I am not 100% certain about this, but I think they sprayed some sort of waxy film or coating on the cars prior to shipment.  If that's the case (and I think it's correct) that's what you're seeing in those car hauler photos.

Richard Cranium

Quote from: hemigeno on December 09, 2010, 12:47:43 PM
I am not 100% certain about this, but I think they sprayed some sort of waxy film or coating on the cars prior to shipment.  If that's the case (and I think it's correct) that's what you're seeing in those car hauler photos.

You have a point there. Perhaps they applied a layer of cosomline to keep the paint from flying off during transit!  :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Dave Kanofsky

Not mine...see the letter from the original owner from back in July '70...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on December 09, 2010, 12:47:43 PM

:iagree:

Aero426

Reading the letter from Dave's owner, you can see how much of a pain these cars must have been to the local dealers and Chrysler zone people having to deal with the complainers.

Jerry Service's Hemi Daytona was repainted by the local dealer here in the Milwaukee area before it was sold.    The dealer said the paint was so bad they could not sell it that way.     

When I spoke to the original owner of Boat Tona a couple years ago, he indicated the paint on the car wasn't bad at all.  So there must have been some large swings in quality of what was turned out.   

As to McCauley's green car, I do not think you can look at the paint shine today as an indication of what it looked like when new.   

held1823

I know of one Daytona that was completely repainted within weeks of being sold.

The dealership had already done some paint work on this car before they picked it up on September 19th, but it still wasn't "right".
Later on, the owner was at the dealership complaining about the paint, which happened to be the same day the Chrysler service rep was there. After telling the owner that the factory guy was there, the service manager took up the paint concerns with the rep. As soon as he was told the car was a Daytona, the rep told them to repaint the car, without even looking at it.

This gives me the impression there were a significant amount of warranty repair work to fix paint issues on the Daytonas. This car appears to not be the first encounter the field rep for this region had with the issue, as he didn't even bother to look at the car.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 09, 2010, 10:22:13 AM
My old R4 car had original paint and cracking stripes

aaaaand useless post.

Anyone else own a Daytona which, at one time, had original paint?   :slap:

Mopar John

Thanks for all the replies especially Troy with all the photos of the McCauley green survivor! But so far only 2 with original paint? Is the Bob and Sharon Malcom low milage Daytona original paint? Or was it one of those that got repaint early on?

richRTSE

QuoteLove picture #3.. Looks like the tech at Creative just grabbed a red sidemarker bezel, painted it black and shove it in the hole after the stripe was applied.

Troy, not to disagree with you, as I know nothing about that car or it's history, but when I look at that picture I kinda think what ever dented the quarter probably cracked the original sidemarker. Maybe thats not the original one that came with the car from Creative.  :shruggy: Again, I don't know for sure, just my own speculation.

Rich

Mopar John

Rich,
Since that Daytona is a survivor I was checking out quite a few details! One of those items was the reflective sidemarkers. Reason being is that car has the very rare 4 section reflectors! Most Daytonas have lost them along the way! After your post I made the picture with the damaged sidemarker full size. If you look at it close it is a 4 section reflector which I would tend to think is original!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Guys - I have a bunch of original 69's and I can state with 100% certainty that all of them have their original side markers and all of them have a mix of 2 and 4 piece. Chrysler (being by far the cheapest cheapie cheapskates of the Big 3) was not going to throw out all the lenses they had after the Fed date....they used whatever they had. I did a poll of others with a bunch of survivors and they all had the same mixed up stuff - not just a couple of cars but a sampling of dozens.....Wing cars, A12's early and late, B and A bodies.

Dave Kanofsky

My R4 car has rear reflector holders that were both a different color than the car - one was R6 dark red and one was F6 bright green, they were both painted white on the face to match the stripe. 

I strongly believe they were original.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

69_500

I can only think of a handful of Daytona's with original paint. They are very interesting to look at. Sadly the last one I saw was getting ready to be stripped and repainted. Was a very presentable car if you ask me but it is not my car.

Mopar John

The topic of this post was a loaded question! A friend of mine stopped by to see the restored B5 Daytona and we started talking about the R4 Daytona. We went into that part of the shop and I explained to him that I didn't know what I was going to do with the car? Reason being is there are sooo mannny R4 white stripe Daytonas out there! In addition so many V2 white stripe Daytonas that look similar. I told him about my idea to paint it panther pink put recall wheels on it and a crate Hemi? He told me I was crazy!!! He said there can't be many somewhat originals left! Then he went on to say that with all the original parts on the Daytona and all the original used parts from the B5 Daytona that were replaced by NOS that I could put a decent survivor together and leave it at that! So now I have three schools of thought: 1) total restoration  2) total restoration with color change and 3) survivor! So, I would like to hear what others opinions are on this dilemma?
Thanks! Mopar John

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on December 17, 2010, 04:27:52 PM
The topic of this post was a loaded question! A friend of mine stopped by to see the restored B5 Daytona and we started talking about the R4 Daytona. We went into that part of the shop and I explained to him that I didn't know what I was going to do with the car? Reason being is there are sooo mannny R4 white stripe Daytonas out there! In addition so many V2 white stripe Daytonas that look similar. I told him about my idea to paint it panther pink put recall wheels on it and a crate Hemi? He told me I was crazy!!! He said there can't be many somewhat originals left! Then he went on to say that with all the original parts on the Daytona and all the original used parts from the B5 Daytona that were replaced by NOS that I could put a decent survivor together and leave it at that! So now I have three schools of thought: 1) total restoration  2) total restoration with color change and 3) survivor! So, I would like to hear what others opinions are on this dilemma?
Thanks! Mopar John

If you have the stuff put it together as a survivor for a while and enjoy it . Then if you get tired of it build it the way you want it so you can drive it pink hemi and all .   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

I second my son Little Stewies suggestion....except for the pink part......He gets that from his mom's side of the family. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 17, 2010, 05:30:27 PM
I second my son Little Stewies suggestion....except for the pink part......He gets that from his mom's side of the family. :icon_smile_dissapprove:
My wife wants a pink car pretty bad , they are just ok to me .  You definalty wont see many pink daytonas  :D :D :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 09, 2010, 01:21:55 PM
Not mine...see the letter from the original owner from back in July '70...
That letter is amazing to have this first hand story after all those years.  I love how he spelled it Datona at the end by mistake.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mopar John on December 17, 2010, 04:27:52 PM
The topic of this post was a loaded question! A friend of mine stopped by to see the restored B5 Daytona and we started talking about the R4 Daytona. We went into that part of the shop and I explained to him that I didn't know what I was going to do with the car? Reason being is there are sooo many R4 white stripe Daytonas out there! In addition so many V2 white stripe Daytonas that look similar. I told him about my idea to paint it panther pink put recall wheels on it and a crate Hemi? He told me I was crazy!!! He said there can't be many somewhat originals left! Then he went on to say that with all the original parts on the Daytona and all the original used parts from the B5 Daytona that were replaced by NOS that I could put a decent survivor together and leave it at that! So now I have three schools of thought: 1) total restoration 2) total restoration with color change and 3) survivor! So, I would like to hear what others opinions are on this dilemma?
Thanks! Mopar John

They're only original once, shame to sand it down if you don't have to.  I love the Pink Daytona Hemi idea though.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dave Kanofsky

I'm kinda partial to R4 / white stripe cars!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 17, 2010, 09:47:51 PM
I'm kinda partial to R4 / white stripe cars!

I'm sort of like that, but with V2. But then again, that's the color I have and "beggars can't be choosers"..  :icon_smile_big:

Dave, your R4 is a great color combo...
Troy

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on December 17, 2010, 05:48:36 PM
You definalty wont see many pink daytonas  :D :D :D

speak for yourself!

Hey John I think the car's too far gone to keep it as is.  If it had all of its original sheetmetal in some form I think it'd be all right, but since you're going to have to paint the front clip, the decklid, etc, I think it would defeat the purpose.  Telling people it's a barn find would be cool until they found out it was YOUR barn!   :lol:

I'm not so sure about a pink car.  I mean, we have one, and people love it, and I dig the Marty Robbins thing, but I'd never do it from scratch--I would have built the Buddy Baker car instead.  Then again, feel free to drive it around at the meet (or, obviously, whenever) and see if you like it! 

3--Daytona

A little late, but I will put my cent and half in.
I bought my green Daytona from the widow of the man who drove it off the showroom floor. You cant get much closer to the bottom than that.
She relaid to me, by far the largest complaint he had with the dealer was PAINT. He had his own bottle of touch up paint, and as the pic show applied it quite often.
I still have the bottle of paint and the receipt for it.
Jim McCauley
3--daytona

69_500

Personally speaking, I would prefer to  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: all over an original paint Daytona any day of the week to a restored car. Yes they are very pretty and make me  :drool5: when they are restored. But there is just something about the original paint and other oddities on these cars. Every time I get the offer to come see one that is unrestored or the original paint I leap at the chance to do it. And I always take along plenty of memory cards for the camera. I do not think that the last guy actually expected me to take 2,100 pictures of his car before I left, but I just kept finding stuff I liked. If the car is still presentable in its orignal paint and it was my car I'd leave it alone, but that is just me.

TiMopar

Wow... I wish I had an F8 Daytona with 'paint problems'...

pettybird

Quote from: TiMopar on December 24, 2010, 06:23:19 AM

we have one of those!  it also has

fender problems
quarter problems
hood problems
nose problems
trunk problems
frame problems
interior problems
door problems

and that's just the start  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on December 24, 2010, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: TiMopar on December 24, 2010, 06:23:19 AM

we have one of those!  it also has

fender problems
quarter problems
hood problems
nose problems
trunk problems
frame problems
interior problems
door problems

and that's just the start  :lol:

i'll gladly take it off your hands

69_500

Stuart you should have offered your C500 in a trade to Doug. I mean the worst he could do is say "NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!" right?

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on December 10, 2010, 08:48:27 PM
I can only think of a handful of Daytona's with original paint. They are very interesting to look at. Sadly the last one I saw was getting ready to be stripped and repainted. Was a very presentable car if you ask me but it is not my car.
Dan,
If you include the Daytonas shown on this post how many do you think total are left in original paint? Have  there been any pictures of them on this site?
Thanks! MJ

69_500

Well I would say that I can remember 3 others that I have looked at other than the ones pictured here in the thread. 1 was still very very very nice, 1 was pretty nice looking still, and the other was still very presentable. Now there was 2 other original paint cars that I have looked at that were pretty nice looking but have since been repainted since the first time I looked at them.

Mopar John

Dan,
Thanks for the info! Is one of the original paint Daytonas the Bob and Sharon Malcom low milage Daytona? How would you like to make a visit to northern Indinana and check out my R4 survivor before I do something with it?
MJ

69_500

Yes one of them is the Malcom's car. I'd love to make a trip up to the northern half of Indiana to look at a Daytona. I mean lets see if you ask around this site I"m sure you'll find more than a handful of people who know of some of the various trips I've made just to see Aero cars. I think I have covered 40 of the lower states in the last 6 years just looking at Aero cars. If its within a weekend of driving I"m there. That pretty much covers half of the US if you don't stop to sleep for a weekend. And your not that far away, you only like what 3 hours from me. I am about 30 minutes south of Indy now that we moved.

pettybird

getting to see three wings, an original paint '70 GTX and a basement full of parts is worth the trip ;)

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on December 26, 2010, 01:39:10 PM
Yes one of them is the Malcom's car. I'd love to make a trip up to the northern half of Indiana to look at a Daytona. I mean lets see if you ask around this site I"m sure you'll find more than a handful of people who know of some of the various trips I've made just to see Aero cars. I think I have covered 40 of the lower states in the last 6 years just looking at Aero cars. If its within a weekend of driving I"m there. That pretty much covers half of the US if you don't stop to sleep for a weekend. And your not that far away, you only like what 3 hours from me. I am about 30 minutes south of Indy now that we moved.
Dan,
I will PM you after the holidays and set soemthing up! You can check out the R4 Daytona and see all the improvements to the B5 Daytona since you last saw it in INDY!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: pettybird on December 26, 2010, 05:13:17 PM
getting to see three wings, an original paint '70 GTX and a basement full of parts is worth the trip ;)
Doug,
I completely forgot about the bird and GTX!
MJ

69_500

Would be more than happy to swing up there to check those out John.

nascarxx29