News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So where are the miniature wing cars?

Started by held1823, December 12, 2010, 08:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

man held, you need to get some wing cars in your collection. holy cow. how long it take to accumulate all those :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Great collection.  Can you please take a close up of the Carrera slot cars?   Are those a bunch of customs?   Hylton #48, Brickhouse #88. 

held1823

this will take up a few replies, but here they are.

the first five photos show the actual carrera released daytonas, while the last three cars are each custom painted and decaled

carrera d1.JPG

carrera d2.JPG

carrera d3.JPG

carrera d4.JPG

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

all of these daytonas are vinyl wrapped customs. most can be returned to the original car simply by peeling off the overlays

carrera d5.JPG

carrera d6.JPG

carrera d7.JPG   

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

the last of the vinyl wrapped daytonas
a bit of liberty was taken with the last one
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

OK wow...

Where do you get the wraps?  I REALLY need the Marty Robbins car.

held1823

the plymouth list is a bit shorter. here are the carrera factory releases

carrera s1.JPG

carrera s2.JPG

carrera s3.JPG

carrera s4.JPG   
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

the painted and decaled superbirds, including a few "fantasy" versions

carrera s5.JPG

carrera s6.JPG

carrera s7.JPG   

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

and finally, the vinyl wrapped 'birds, along with the race track set that started all of this carrera madness.

carrera s8.JPG

carrera s9.JPG

carrera s10.JPG

carrera s20.JPG   
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on December 15, 2010, 01:05:29 AM
OK wow...

Where do you get the wraps?  I REALLY need the Marty Robbins car.

The vinyl covered cars are an interesting story. I got my first one on ebay, and was amazed with the car once it arrived. I started corresponding with the seller afterwards and found out he worked at a vinyl sign shop, at which he cut all of the pieces to do these customs. Over time, he and I worked out a large package deal for the cars you see here. He had duplicate sets of the wraps for most of the cars I have, so I purchased a LOT of donor cars, and he set out to create cars for the both of us.

The entire process took nearly two years to complete, and during that time he left the vinyl shop to take a position with an architectural firm. Before leaving, he cut out enough stock to finish all of the cars I had already sent him. He would create one car for me and an identical car for himself to sell, usually on Ebay. My cars arrived a few at a time over the two year period, but he fulfilled his end of our deal with the finished products you see here.

I wish I had come across his work sooner, so that I could have built an even larger fleet. The photos here truly do not do the cars justice. He also did a few Charger 500's, but the donor cars were harder to come by for those. In hindsight, I wish I had sought those out, too. Out of all his wing car customs that I've seen over the years, there is only one variation I do not have. A third party had it listed on Ebay in the last year or two, and the bidding went crazy before I dropped out to the eventual winner. I had bid way too much for it in relation to the cost of the ones I already had, but later found out it went to the family of the real car's driver. That was a small consolation, but at least it made sense of why the other bidder was so intent on buying the car.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

doctor4766

Nowhere near as interesting as some of the cars pictured in this thread, but here's one on the shelf at my shop next to a clone of my Charger.

Gotta love a '69

SuperJim

Great thread. Even though I'm mostly in to 1:18 I do really like the pinewood derby car, and those slot cars, wow. Nice!

For those that mentioned "slimming down" their collections, we do buy partial 1:18 collections from time to time. If anyone is interested call us at 763/425-6020 Mon-Fri. Maybe could even do some trading for 1:18 winged cars that we have, or have coming in... Just a thought.
Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php

held1823

Thanks for all of the kind words. Like many others, I was into model car building from way back when. I started collecting Mopar diecast and memorabilia in the late 1980's while working at a dealership. At first, I collected every model of every body style, in any scale or color. After the diecast industry took off, the overwhelming number of variations (and some downright goofy looking releases) eventually led me to narrow my focus to collecting just wing car items.  

Like Jim, I am also fond of the 1/18 scales, and the Big Willie cars that his company is releasing will find their way to me eventually. Other than the gold plated (and mega-dollar) ones from Supercars, I have about every 1:18 scale wing car ever made, and even some that never were, like the 1/18th Muscle Machines Daytona I posted near the beginning of this thread. It seems like there was also an orange chromed one I missed out on. Counting the customized ones, I have 117 different wing cars in 1/18th scale. Six of those are a complete set of Superbird convertibles that I'd be willing to part with, but the rest of them are here to stay.

My wing car obsession didn't just randomly happen, and I can still remember the first time I ever saw one.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

The wrapped Carrera cars are off the hook, particularly the USAC cars.   Are the decal kits available for the others anywhere?  

I am looking for the Carrera set with the #7 car.   If someone has a spare, or one they no longer use, I would like to get one.

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on December 15, 2010, 03:05:33 PM
Are the decal kits available for the others anywhere?

I purchased a couple of the painted cars from a Jim Heller, and recall he had several different wing car decal sets at the time. Heller used to have a website, but I'm thinking it has since gone away. He does still sell on Ebay (http://myworld.ebay.com/jimheller/), so it should be possible to contact him through there, to see what he still offers.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

SuperJim

QuoteMy wing car obsession didn't just randomly happen, and I can still remember the first time I ever saw one.
I only quoted part of your post, but it made me think of the first ones I saw. When I was an exhaust tech at the local Montgomery Wards auto center, one of the real tech's had a Green Daytona. Also an Orange Superbird. This was back in 1971 or so. I'm sure my jaw dropped as I stood and stared... something I'll never forget.
Jim

learical1

Quote from: Aero426 on December 15, 2010, 03:05:33 PM
The wrapped Carrera cars are off the hook, particularly the USAC cars.   Are the decal kits available for the others anywhere?  

I am looking for the Carrera set with the #7 car.   If someone has a spare, or one they no longer use, I would like to get one.

Doug, check your PM.
Bruce

held1823

1-24 scale versions released by the Danbury Mint, which are the most detailed replicas of a Daytona I have ever seen. 

danbury mint green.JPG

danbury mint white.JPG 

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

1969chargerrtse

Just picked up this old rusted Daytona tonight at Toys R Us. 1/64 scale.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Old Moparz

I think that held1823 needs some serious help.  :o

But that is one hell of an incredible, dicast, aero car collection, I'm impressed.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 01, 2011, 06:42:10 PM

But that is one hell of an incredible, dicast, aero car collection, I'm impressed.  :2thumbs:
we need a chapter of aero cars anonymous
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SuperJim

Quote from: moparstuart on January 01, 2011, 06:59:34 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on January 01, 2011, 06:42:10 PM

we need a chapter of aero cars anonymous

Can meet at our shop...
Jim