News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New replica of the Charger 69 center plastic grille!

Started by bobfist, December 16, 2010, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

six-tee-nine

That's true and even when you already have a grill then still some people might buy one (maybe even me) a spare can come in handy one day and nobody can say how long you can keep producing them...

:popcrn:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bobfist

THe date are 2 May and hopefully we can show some parts a few days after that

I have a question...is it possible to dissasemble the Charger 70 grille as the 69 grille?
Any pictures?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

69charger440

Quote from: six-tee-nine on March 30, 2011, 12:58:02 PM
That's true and even when you already have a grill then still some people might buy one (maybe even me) a spare can come in handy one day and nobody can say how long you can keep producing them...

:popcrn:

Heck, I might buy a couple!! I am sure I will be doing another 69 for the wife. THATS IF IT'S A GREAT PRODUCT...
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: bobfist on March 30, 2011, 03:06:07 PM
I have a question...is it possible to dissasemble the Charger 70 grille as the 69 grille?
Any pictures?

No, the center section and outer loop are one piece.

bobfist

Ah ok, is this the same on both?
We want to produce these two also
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: bobfist on March 31, 2011, 01:00:07 PM
Ah ok, is this the same on both?
We want to produce these two also
What do you mean by both?

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Domino

the 68 is 3 piece like 69, just without the "I" in the middle.  70 is way different.

bobfist

Ah ok!
Does the market need the 68 grille as well you think?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

BIGBLCK11

If you can make them, I think you could sell all 3 easily.  :yesnod:

69charger440

I know someone who would get a 68 grill!!! If it was up to par!! :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

NorwayCharger

I would think there is a higher demand for 68-69 grills  :Twocents:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

BIGBLCK11

Although, I can't help the lack of others good judgement :D,  I would also say the popularity and demand would be: 69, 68, then 70.  Due to the 70's construction, it may not be feasible to make, depending on your process and setup cost.  It can be hard to find any of them in really good shape and not pay an arm and a leg.  So, if the quality and price point are there, you will have buyers.

Mike DC

I agree.  There is demand for a reasonably-priced set of these grilles but they seem to be a pretty expensive item to reproduce correctly.  I think the 1969 grille would turn a net profit within a couple years if not immediately, but I don't know if the economics of doing the 1970 grille are good enough. 

471_Magnum

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated.

Unless it is injected molded from automotive grade ABS, don't waste our time.

I've spend most of my career engineering and building OEM automotive exterior trim parts. I've also commissioned my fair share of prototypes. I had about 15 years in the business before I finally got fed up with the automotive industry and moved on to better things. I digress... Point being, I'm speaking from experience here.

The poured resin parts can be made to look very nice (initially) but they have terrible dimensional stability. Subject it to any temperature extreme, and it will warp, creep and deteriorate. Stereolythography has similar issues. The stuff is great for one-off show cars that lead pampered lives, but there is no place for it in the real world.

Best bet for achieving near OEM product quality and durability in a limited production run would be to use an aluminum mold. It would be good for better than 1000 shots. One could probably be built for less than the $100K mentioned, but the engineering costs could drive that cost up quickly. I've never taken the time to really look at the complexity of the part, but the technology and techniques used to build the original tooling wasn't half as good as what we use to build prototypes these days.

Before you try to sell the first cast piece, thermocycle it a few times switching it from a sub-zero deep freeze to a 125 F oven and see how it looks afterwords.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bull

Quote from: 471_Magnum on April 02, 2011, 07:55:00 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated.

Unless it is injected molded from automotive grade ABS, don't waste our time.

Read all of page one and you'll see that he says he'll be using a casting method, and then after that a few of us say basically the same thing you said in your second sentence above. I believe this new casting process will be using 50% more snake oil than the last one so it may just work.

bobfist

HI, i understand your consern about our method.
I was thinking the same before we met the company and i changed my mind after seeing and tested their earlier products.

Bob
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

TexasStroker

I can't wait to see how everything turns out...Guess you are just about a month out now!  Having a quaity grille replacement on the market would let me go ahead with ironing out the rest of the front end; something I have wanted to for a LONG time  :yesnod:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

I agree with the whole 69 grill as well... I'd buy the outers if made available.... 42 years isn't kind to any plastic trim

jam2329

i cant wait till this is ready i need a 69 grille

montana bird

chargerhunter

I bought one of the Premier grilles and it cracked taking it out of the box! I have to use it because I have nothing else but I can see bugs hitting it and cracking it. Can't wait to see your product.
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

bobfist

Our ones wont crack , we tried to brake one ending up like a screw :)

www.bobfist.com
Sweden