News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone tub out a 68 charger post here

Started by charger2fast4u, December 26, 2010, 04:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

hey i'm in the middle of having the body work done on my 68 charger i am highly considering tubbing out the rear of it. has anyone else done this? does anyone know what i'm talking about here? the stock location of the wheel wells is about 3-4'' out past the outer frame rails is where the wells come down at. i would like to take the inner wheel wells and tub them in so the inner part of them will come down flush with the outer frame rails. anyone do it like this? having the rear seat is a must and i know i will need to shorten it on both sides acouple inches anyone have pics you could post of your tubbed out cars and if you kept the rear seat even better. also on the inner side of the 1/4 panel there is a lip that extends out around the wheel well has anyone cut this out or beat it in so it doesn't get in the way? is this a structural support bend? i'm tubbing this out so i can put as big as i can get rear tires on it.

Blown68Coronet

I went to the frame rails on my Coronet, gave me 17" so I put 31x16.5 Hoosier QTP's in there.Fabbed the back seat brace a bit so the seat is still there, makes people do a double take when they walk by it. :icon_smile_big:

charger2fast4u

Blown68Coronet

Its on youtube, pm Ron (Firefighter) he has lots of pics, I'm not good at posting them.
I narrowed the Dana and run a 15x12 rim with 3" backspace. Car is currently in body shop gettin new paint will have lots of pics putting back together when i get it back early feb.

Here's youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NkVgKSvhoQ

Troy

How big of a tire do you need? Stock wheel wells will hold a 325 or a 29" slick (can't remember the width).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger2fast4u

Thanks for the YouTube video great car what   motor/trans/axle setup are you running? Troy I would like to run a 20x14 rear rim if it will fit I think it will be  close to the outer frame rails  what do you think the widest rim tire combo would be able to fit in there if I tub it out flush with the frame rails? Also does anyone know about the outer inner fender lip would it be ok to cut it and pound it so it doesn't Stick out and reweld or is there a better way?

oldgold69

hey coronet did you beat the rambler  cant tell

Blown68Coronet

Quote from: oldgold69 on December 28, 2010, 05:59:17 PM
hey coronet did you beat the rambler  cant tell

Actually its a sweet AMX that runs there a lot as well. I lifted around 1000ft, he got me that time. There's another vid my buddy took when we were at CCevent at Norwalk couple yrs ago just click on the 2 vid link.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

darrenb811

here's some pics of the mod you mention:
-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
F2 Procharger, EFI, T56 6-Speed Dana 60
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

rear is std Dana 60 axle flange to flange.
345/30ZR19 tires. 13in wheels.
-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

charger2fast4u

good pics i'll be tubbing mine out just like your's to the frame rails. so that's a standard length DANA 60?  wasn't shortened at all? are yoou going to be using a back seat if so did you do any test fitment of it? i am thinking ill need to cut the seat frame down some to make it fit in there. what size offset are you running on those rims? and do you mind taking a measurement of how far apart the wheel wells are from the inside side to side

darrenb811

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 06, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
good pics i'll be tubbing mine out just like your's to the frame rails. so that's a standard length DANA 60?  wasn't shortened at all? are yoou going to be using a back seat if so did you do any test fitment of it? i am thinking ill need to cut the seat frame down some to make it fit in there. what size offset are you running on those rims? and do you mind taking a measurement of how far apart the wheel wells are from the inside side to side

Hi, yep, the Dana is OEM dimensions axle flange to axle flange.
Wheel dimensions (Budnik measuring standards) are 19 dia x 13 wide.
Backspace = 8 in Frontspace =5 in.
I won't get a chance for a while to measure frame rails, & may be a bit tricky now everything is installed. There is not much room under there with exhaust etc in place. The frame rails are OEM dimensions, no modification here.
As I say the biggest challenge will be clearance with the leaf spring you go this way, you have to relocate the leaf springs inboard 3" each side (Mopar Perf make a kit).

Here's another picture without the exhaust system.
(Pictures to follow on the rear seat).

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

here's a picture from inside the car.
Note that the refrabricated hump/floor over the axle has nothing to do with the diff or 4-link I am running.
It was required only to get 3-1/2" exhaust over the axle & run some other things (fuel filters/ vent canister) up in under the axle.
The seat frame required minor tweak only.
Although I show the whole frame with springs (next pic) we will only be using the frame as I am having custom seats made for rear.
-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

darrenb811

-----
68 Charger R/T
525 Hemi
Grocery Getter

charger2fast4u

thanks for the pictures the measurements i am talking about is of the wheel wells on the inside of the trunk how far apart are they from each other now that you widened them up i will be running a 4 link air suspension setup so i won't have to worry about the leaf springs but i believe the air suspension uses the factory leaf spring mount to connect one of the bars to the axle i want to call air ride technologies and ask if it will be ok to move that bar inward using the MP relocator kit i like the idea of you  raising the trunk pan to fit in the exhaust that's one of the things i will need to figure out to run 3'' the whole way back with air suspension right now you can't fit it and will need turnout before the axle as there won't be no room to fit 3'' over the axle when you are at full drop and the bags get in the way also

elitecustombody

Here are some pics of mini-tub mod I did on 69 Dart

new AMD tubs

old tubs cut out

new tubs trimmed ,fitted and welded in ,now the 335's have plenty of room to tuck

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

elitecustombody

Tubs sealed with 3M 08300 Ultrapro Sealant

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Krausmotorsports

Very glad I Found this older thread!  Picked up a 68 over the summer and Cant wait to start our Project "Lucy"  The frame rails have been moved 2" in already but plan to put them back to original since we are running a Coil over setup Vs. Leafs.  Very Thankful these pictures are still in the original post.