News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winged Car abuse

Started by rp23g7, February 03, 2011, 08:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp23g7

jpgSo, everyone has talked about a Daytona in Lynnwood Wa, sititng outside.  Bob Kropp i guess has talked to the guy and looked at the car, and said its a basketcase now.  I had never seen it, so i went to find it today, so sad how someone can let a car get that bad, especially a winged car these days

69bronzeT5

I saw the pictures on your Facebook....such a shame :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A383Wing

it was a basket case 25+ years ago when I saw it last...

rp23g7

Quote from: A383Wing on February 03, 2011, 09:21:51 PM
it was a basket case 25+ years ago when I saw it last...

Wow, i didnt realize it had been sitting around that long

694spdRT

Just curious, are we talking "basket case" for Washington State standards or rust belt standards? Seems that condition varies a lot depending on where we are located.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

A383Wing

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 03, 2011, 10:00:38 PM
Just curious, are we talking "basket case" for Washington State standards or rust belt standards?

which ever is worse...then double it

SBBob

Last time I saw it up close the center section of the wing was missing, the area between the bottom of the rear window and the trunk lid was non existent.  The nose cone was hit pretty bad.  Water in the interior everywhere.  At least now it has a cover over it.  Yes it is fixable by today's standards but need a lot of work.  440 - 727 car.  YO, SBBob
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

DC_1

That's too bad. I don't understand people that let something so desired by so many just sit and rot away.

loudmouthaussie

sounds like they let it sit along time ago and it was prolly worth shit back then  ;)

shame all the same  :'(
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

SBBob

Yes it would be considered child abuse if it were alive.  The owner was in and out of jail over and over again.  When asked his mom would always say he was going to restore it.  I don't know if where it is now is a new owner or a relative holding it for him, but nothing positive towards helping the car has happened except that it is not on the street and it now has a bit of cover in the form of a tarp.  Very sad as there is a guy in Yakima that has 3 birds in ta similar situation.  Make me ill to see them just sitting and rotting.

WB General Lee

Why wouldn't they put the car in the garage? It looks like there is a decent garage?

nascarxx29

Is this the same car refered to a primer brown

I saw a 69 daytona in a storage lot on hwy 99 in lynwood wa. it was promered brown. I justabout snapped.  went back next day when the lot was open but the car was gone.  rats
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

SBBob

I don't think it is the same car.  I wish I knew why it just sits outdoors myself.  Some people don't realize that it just get worse and worse with time.  Go figure - the guy in Yakima has one that he drives and there is not a straight body panel on is and rag was hanging out the gas tank as a cap the last time I saw it.  Two more, one under a car port and the other under a tree.  Just sitting.  Sad, sad sad!

RallyeMike

The car is essentially in the exact same shape it was in the mid eighties the first time I saw it and tried to buy it, so that pretty much proves that the concerns about massive deterioration can be put aside. As said, at least it's not sitting on the street now and has a cover on it - so it's semi-stabilized from deterioration.

I just see these cars as future projects for someone else. If it was sitting on a muddy hillside uncovered in the blackberries, that would be reason to be up-in-arms. Maybe I'm jaded by the other historically important cars I'm aware of that ARE physically rotting - unfortunately there really isnt much you can do about it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Old Moparz

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 04, 2011, 10:19:02 AM
The car is essentially in the exact same shape it was in the mid eighties the first time I saw it and tried to buy it, so that pretty much proves that the concerns about massive deterioration can be put aside. As said, at least it's not sitting on the street now and has a cover on it - so it's semi-stabilized from deterioration.

I just see these cars as future projects for someone else. If it was sitting on a muddy hillside uncovered in the blackberries, that would be reason to be up-in-arms. Maybe I'm jaded by the other historically important cars I'm aware of that ARE physically rotting - unfortunately there really isnt much you can do about it.

These cars are definitely future projects for someone. When I snagged my Coronet convertible, it was in rough shape. The guy who had it, took some of it apart, stripped paint, gathered used parts, & left it to glaze over with surface rust. The hood was off it & at one time the engine was covered with plastic that was just about gone. There were small plants sprouting up next to the carb on the intake, & tons of leaves, twigs, & dirt all over. Must have been this way for a couple of years at least.

I dragged it home, cleaned it as best I could, stored all the parts indoors & covered it with a tarp. I figured the tarp was better than nothing & would be temporary, but life gets in the way. Many tarps later, I finally got it into my garage & now it will fair better than it has. It did rust further even covered with the tarp, but not to the point it was destroyed or beyond repair.

It's sad to see any old car left to rot, but there's usually some kind of reason the owner left it that way.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nascarxx29

From a older post faded red daytona

Re: Got some pics of my childhood Daytona...
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:36 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a real project of a daytona in a storage yard  one of those public storage yards in 1991 on aurora avenue in lynnwood washington. looked to be a very faded red it was thrashed good, sat there for two days then gone. it was about 200th street hwy 99. I went back with some dough just to see what I could find out about it,and it was gone> 

That same year I saw a green one up in mt vernon washington at a gas station , then a guy in burlington wa had one with a 500 front end on it and the holes on the quarters had been bondoed over but had braces still in trunk, it was just at some dudes house, anyone know anything about these cars in the greater seattle area? 

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

petercharger

why not drive a average 68 to 70 charger over...let them know u would trade for it...even put Dane's wing on it....everything is for sale...its just a mater of time...  i lost out to a 68 R/T charger a few years ago..when the owner said never..gave him my card..told him to call if changed mind...2 months go by...i stop to see if he still had it and he sold it to get a harley bike a few weeks after i spoke to him...asked why he did not call...said he never thought he would have sold it...but his new girlfriend loved harleys ...so everything is for sale....my 2  :Twocents:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

charger6972

Major shame seeing a wingcar just sit and rot. I let my 69 sit for 2 yrs and it took a year to get it back to where it was before. Those classics should be driven in any condition, stored properly, and restored when possible. Just sayin.

rp23g7

Wow, whats worse is that is been in the same shape for 25+ years, seems like someone would have offered him some amount of money for it that he couldnt refuse

hotrod98

Quote from: rp23g7 on February 06, 2011, 12:46:08 PM
Wow, whats worse is that is been in the same shape for 25+ years, seems like someone would have offered him some amount of money for it that he couldnt refuse

With some people, no matter how much you offer them, they will think that it must be worth much more if you're offering them that much. Theres a few of those guys around here. They'll eventually die and their relatives will sell if for less than its worth to some guy down the street that could really care less about owning the car. He's just buying it to flip and make money on it. I've seen this happens many times. Many years ago I lost out on a 70 hemi cuda just like that. Tried to buy it for years and one day I hear that the owner had died and that they had sold it to a guy that just happened to come by at the right time.  :brickwall:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WB General Lee

That happened to me countless times :brickwall: I looked at an original Tourquise Daytona years back and he wanted like 25k for it. It needed lots of work and i think it was tubbed. I saw that car at a show a few years later and the guy who bought it paid under 10k :icon_smile_dissapprove:

HANDM

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 05, 2011, 02:40:32 AM
Another thread same car
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,68286.0.html

Thanks, I was gonna, but I figured I would let this one play out and mayhap the location of the missing wing center will come to light....
:popcrn: