News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Vectors

Started by Bobs69, January 22, 2011, 01:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Can I still buy a set of the new anniversary edition vectors or not?  Is there any difference in them?  I'd like two 8.5 and 3 7's

General_01

Only if you can find them second hand.

The new ones are different from the old ones. The new has a ridge running around the lip of the rim. Old ones were smooth. New ones have gray centers. Old ones were not painted or were black. It looks like you know the backspacing on the 8" rims are different and you can't use the new ones on the fronts, only the 7's.

P.S.- Read my sig and take heed.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Bobs69

Quote from: General_01 on January 22, 2011, 10:27:53 AM
Only if you can find them second hand.

The new ones are different from the old ones. The new has a ridge running around the lip of the rim. Old ones were smooth. New ones have gray centers. Old ones were not painted or were black. It looks like you know the backspacing on the 8" rims are different and you can't use the new ones on the fronts, only the 7's.

P.S.- Read my sig and take heed.

Thanks General01.  Too bad I didn't see your sig before.  I've already fallen prey to this guy, but I'll help sniff him out with any new aliases he comes up with.

Lennard

The new ones are different from the old ones. The new has a ridge running around the lip of the rim. Old ones were smooth.

The otherway around. ;)

doctor4766

Bought my re-issue Vectors through user name ronsrims on US ebay.
Saved a bunch of money too.
I was quoted $1600 Aussie dollars locally but had them landed here for under a grand when I used this seller.
Just did a search on abay though and he has no listings so try here  http://www.ronsrims1.com/Ron%27s%20Rims/Welcome.html
Gotta love a '69

Bobby41909

I got my vectors from http://akhwheels.com/   Terry's company takes original Vectors and restores them.  They look better then any new set I've seen.  The aluminum is polished and they are painted black which looks killer.  His prices are reasonable for what you get.  I believe I paid $1,200 for the set (2-7's & 2-8.5's) shipped.  Check them out!

If you want to use 8.5's all the way around, I hear you can do this if they are the original run Vectors...so that's another plus.

General_01

Quote from: Lennard on January 23, 2011, 03:38:05 AM
The new ones are different from the old ones. The new has a ridge running around the lip of the rim. Old ones were smooth.

The otherway around. ;)

Your right! My bad.
Thanks Lennard :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Bobs69

Yeah they do look awesome.  I emailed him, wondering if he takes trades........

Mike DC

If the ridge is a big deal, I doubt it would cost much to have it machined into a repro set of Vectors by a local wheel shop.  It looks like an easy job. 

The repros also have a subtle difference in the "dish" of the wheel's shape.  Not quite as deeply recessed as the originals were. 

Bobs69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 24, 2011, 04:12:18 AM

If the ridge is a big deal, I doubt it would cost much to have it machined into a repro set of Vectors by a local wheel shop.  It looks like an easy job. 

The repros also have a subtle difference in the "dish" of the wheel's shape.  Not quite as deeply recessed as the originals were. 

I'm thinking that shallower dish is a plus.  The offset would be more inboard and I could run fatter tires.  Right?

doctor4766

How wide a tyre do you plan to use Bob?
I have the 8.5 x 15 reissue vectors and get 295 60 15's in up back no probs
Gotta love a '69

Bobby41909

Quote from: doctor4766 on January 25, 2011, 04:15:56 AM

In my picture above the rear tire is a 275/60/15.  No clearance issues. 

Bobs69

Quote from: doctor4766 on January 25, 2011, 04:15:56 AM

The same ones you got.  The goal was a 315 only because that's the largest I've seen on a b body at a car show.  But with the 3.75" offset.  I think that's what it was and 10inches wide (I thought bigger was better) there's no way.  For my taste.  Maybe if I have the differential cut down!

Mike DC

QuoteI'm thinking that shallower dish is a plus.  The offset would be more inboard and I could run fatter tires.  Right?

Sort of. 

The shallower dish is a partly a styling thing.  An old 15x7 and a repro 15x7 (with the same offset spacing) have different dishes to them.  Not a big difference but it's there. 

The 15x8.5" repro wheels are more significantly different from the originals.  The old 8.5" ones had more or less the same backspacing as the 15x7s and they would fit on all four corners.  (The entire increase in width over the 15x7s was added "dish" distance to the front side of the wheel).  But the modern 15x8.5" wheels are offset farther back into the wheelwells than any of the original Vectors.  They clear the rear ends of Chargers but the upper balljoint interferes on the front suspensions.  (No, they didn't reproduce any 15x8.5s with the original 15x8.5 dimensions.  Only the farther backspaced ones.)

Bobs69

I'm still looking for a set for the right amount. 

Bobby41909

Quote from: Bobs69 on April 03, 2011, 03:30:31 PM
I'm still looking for a set for the right amount. 

What is the right amount?

Another difference that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is that the new re-release Vector wheels are also smooth cast instead of rough cast.

AKH is a good place to find originals but their prices reflect just that, they aren't cheap. They have most sizes and usually have the rare 10" width vectors in stock. I've bought many a set of direct 4 1/2" bolt pattern 7" - 8.5" original sets without curb rash for around $200, mostly on Craigslist. Unfortunately I've sold all but 1 set which is on my Chevelle. I never thought I'd have a charger so I let them go...

I currently have a set of 5 like new re-release vectors and personally I like the originals better. I want to find another set of original vectors but they are becoming harder and harder to find, not to mention the shipping to Australia.

On the 8.5" width rims 295's fit perfectly although I'm unsure if the whole package sits under a charger without any clearance issues. I know a 275 fits under a charger with a little room to spare.

Here is the one set of original Vectors that I restored and kept myself, they are GM pattern though.

Here are a few photos that I took today of a brand new re-release Vector. As you can see the wheel is quite different to an original posted above.

I couldn't wait to paint these black but upon thinking it over I decided to leave them how they came in the hopes that they one day become reasonably rare and valuable themselves.

The neat thing about the re-release are the part numbers and moldings on the back of the wheel: American Racing DOH01GL Special Edition 01

Needless to say, I as well, am looking for an original set....