News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

x

Started by dads_69, January 02, 2006, 04:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Drop Top

Hey Mark. Sounds like a good idea to me. I wish I could get some messurments for you. Unfortunattly I don't have any. If you can come up with some and decide that your going to make it. Make up some bucks so you can make a few more. You just might be onto something. Just an Idea.

thallium

Mark. I think you may have to borrow or purchase a fiberglass nose cone so you have a copy in front of you. The nose cone has so many curves and lines that it would be hard to make every measurement. Maybe it's possible, but I think it would be easier if you had one sitting in front of you to use.  Just my  :Twocents:

chargervert

The only way you can correctly do that would be to template off an original cone. The original cones were hand formed using a mold made from a material called Kirksite.the mold would be used to hammer form the peices,then the pieces would be tacked together,and the seams were blended with lead! This is no easy task! Thats why Gene Gregory gets so much for his nosecones.He has the original molds that they were formed from.(although if you ask him,he will tell you that he scrapped them) I think he still has them. The top of the cone,and the middle lower section of the cone could probably be made by any skilled metal fabricator,but the sides/lower corners,are quite complicated to fabricate.There are multi radiused curvatures,that would have to be acurately duplicated to look correct.

daytonalo

what does gene gregory get for a daytona nose ? this is my stinger nose after many hours of work to make headlights funtion on one electric motor

chargervert

The last price I heard from Gene,was ten grand,and i heard that Jack McGaughy,was thinking of pricing his around $7500.00. Jack has not done a Daytona cone yet,just A Superbird. He has repaired an original Daytona cone for a customer.

nascarxx29

In the wingcar parts you get what you pay for.This is a day gone by metal wingcar parts vendor from the 80-s.I did hear Gene claim the nose cone molds would be gone after so many noses made .I didnt believe that either
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

chargervert

Hey Dave I heard some chatter that Gene is considering another run of nosecones. Haven't heard anything definate though! He said if he did,the price would be around $10,000.00!

chargervert

I don't think it would be worth the cost,to put one of Genes cones on a clone. If you paid $10,000 for a cone,and someone crashed into you,it would kill you(and probably the poor SOB,that had the misfortune to hit you). I have had 3 fiberglass nosecones,one came from Texas,and I have 2 from Dayclona.All of the cones I had were acurate,and durable enough for a street driven clone.I prefer steel parts,but even if I had a steel cone,original,or a reproduction,I would put it on the shelf,and run a glass cone,they are a lot cheaper,to replace,if someone hits you!

Drop Top

Hang in there Mark and build it. I know exactly what you mean when you say. " I want to build it myself". Something only a true Body Man could say. Its all about the feeling of accomplishment. Why buy a glass one when you can tackle the challenge of building a metal one.  :2thumbs:

chargervert

What I was trying to say,is that even if you make a perfect steel nosecone,I would be afraid to put it on the car,because of the way other people drive! I was out a few weeks ago driving my 71 Challenger convertible,and I was going twenty miles per hour over the speed limit,and there was some a$$hole driving up my a$$ so close to the back of the car that I couldn't see the douchb4gs headlights! I would still run the glass one on the street its safer,and it won't hurt as much! Just my advise! The Dayclona web site is www.dayclona.com! Good luck with the cone fabrication! P.S. I hope you have one to go by before you start the fabrication. You will need a cone to template from,as well as the car with the valence in place to fit test it too! You don't want to go through all that work and not have it fit or look correct! You cannot just fab it from looking at pictures,because of the radioused corners I mensioned before,the appearance changes with the angles you view the cone from. I posted some pics of mine,in the General Discussion forum a few weeks back,the thread was called Daytona nosecone dry fit pics,its probably about 8 or 10 pages back by now. I used the Dayclona fiberglass nosecone,and all steel internal parts,as well as dayclonas steel front valence. My car is an original 69 Charger 500,and I have an original wing.

nascarxx29

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7046.0.html   The dry fit pictures looks like its coming along nicely
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

chargervert

Thanks Dave, Its just waiting its turn now!

chargervert

Hey Mark,I'm not easily offended,and I have hashed it out with just about everybody that wants to build a wingcar,or has a wingcar! Even if I could afford to buy one of Gene Gregorys nosecones, I don't think I would put it on the car for the reason I stated earlier! I had the oppertunity to buy one of his cones when he only wanted 3 grand for them! I kick myself all the time for not grabbing it back then. If you and your buddy could fab them accurately, and affordably, your dance card would be filled with orders! That is if you wanted to market them! I think you will need someone with exprience with an english wheel, or a plenishing hammer to make the sides/lower corners! thats more of an artform,than a fabricator! Even Jessie James traveld all the way from Califorina,to Massachusetts to  be tought the art of using a plenishing hammer! And he was using copper,thats a much softer/formable metal than steel! You don't want to be cutting and welding to make those peices,because you will have as much plastic,on the cone,to shape it right,as there is in the fiberglass cone! Just my input! I hope it helps!