News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird steering wheel - woodgrain horn retainer difference?

Started by 70Sbird, September 25, 2011, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hey all,
got my cracked woodgrain wheel replaced yesterday at Monster Mopar. I am assembling it today and came a cross a problem. I thought i had all of the correct parts but apparently not.
I have the correct 1970 only three spoke wheel with the drilled holes and the black plastic "filler" ring to close the gap in the larger 1970 column. However, when trying to assemble the horn and pad I found out I have the horn retainer for a 1969 wheel part number 2925135. I did some checking and the correct part number for my application should a 2996720.
Does anyone know what physically is different between the two? From my observation the 1969 part has more material sticking down between the spokes that interferes with the plastic filler ring. I think if I just grind off about 1/4 inch off of the bottom of the retainer it would be OK. I hate to do that but if that is the only difference and it works I wont lose any sleep over it.
I cant post a pic right now, but has anyone (or could you) look at these two parts next to each other and see if there is any other differences?
Thanks
Scott

Scott Faulkner

nascarxx29

I got a complete 70 Coronet RT woodgrain wheel .I can take pictures.I dont have a 69 piece to compare it to.My part # is 2925135
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

my buddy rod restores those steering wheels and has all the parts also

gswrestorations@aol.com(gswrestorations@aol.com   email him he can get u the correct parts or tell u the difference

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Redbird

Unless you are going for Gold at the Nats. and the woodgrain was missing all these years (lets guess you want the look of a woodgrain on an original black wheeled car), BEA. Most original pieces are pitted junk.

70Sbird

Thanks for the responses,
Stuart that is where I got the wheel from- your buddy Rod.
I had bought the parts last year that I thought I needed, but it looks like I have the wrong retainer,
The pic from the other thread shows the difference very well
It looks like I can use the 1969 one if I cut down the "legs" that pass between the spokes - the area in the yellow circle below.
Anyone have any reasons why this wouldn't work brfore I start hacking?
Thanks
Scott

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

it'll look stupid with a big gap. 

BE/A has new ones for like $180, or you can spend the winter bargain hunting.  someone will want your '69 piece to help defray costs.

70Sbird

Quote from: pettybird on September 26, 2011, 02:34:17 PM

BE/A has new ones for like $180, or you can spend the winter bargain hunting.  someone will want your '69 piece to help defray costs.

Doug,
what big gap are your referring to? I can assemble the horn pad and retainer on my wheel as it is and it all looks good, I just can't put the black plastic spacer on that "fills" the gap on the 1970 column. It looks like the only difference is the depth of the "legs" on the '69 retainer.
I'm thinking that is really the only difference between the two. So if I shorten the "legs" I can use the 1970 only spacer in its proper place and it should look right.  :shruggy:
Does anyone have one of each to see if there are any other differences?
otherwise this thing has a date with a die grinder and file

:hack:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 26, 2011, 03:29:49 PM
Quote from: pettybird on September 26, 2011, 02:34:17 PM

BE/A has new ones for like $180, or you can spend the winter bargain hunting.  someone will want your '69 piece to help defray costs.

Doug,
what big gap are your referring to? I can assemble the horn pad and retainer on my wheel as it is and it all looks good, I just can't put the black plastic spacer on that "fills" the gap on the 1970 column. It looks like the only difference is the depth of the "legs" on the '69 retainer.
I'm thinking that is really the only difference between the two. So if I shorten the "legs" I can use the 1970 only spacer in its proper place and it should look right.  :shruggy:
Does anyone have one of each to see if there are any other differences?
otherwise this thing has a date with a die grinder and file

:hack:
yes make sure you can get the spacer/filler  in there or it looks bad 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

I think the problem here is trying to visualize what it should look like when it's correct.  The "legs" aren't supposed to reach the plastic ring...they go completely around it.

The picture that Dave posted is at a funny angle and is missing the plastic ring.  Fortunately, we have a '70 RT/SE Charger here at work that I can trundle over to:

pettybird

flickr changed how large pictures can be.  here are some crops:

70Sbird

Quote from: pettybird on September 26, 2011, 04:33:23 PM
I think the problem here is trying to visualize what it should look like when it's correct.  The "legs" aren't supposed to reach the plastic ring...they go completely around it.

The picture that Dave posted is at a funny angle and is missing the plastic ring.  Fortunately, we have a '70 RT/SE Charger here at work that I can trundle over to:

Doug,
THANKS!!!! :cheers:
Now I see how it works, so it looks like the "legs" are shorter AND the overall diameter is larger to fit "over" my spacer. - Got it!
Those pics are exactly what I needed to answer my question, but not having the right one were, I didn't see it.
:2thumbs:
So..... anyone have a 70 only retainer they would want to swap for a 68/68 piece?
:scratchchin:

Scott Faulkner