News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Snow Blower Question (Southerners Need Not Read This)

Started by Old Moparz, February 03, 2011, 03:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

A few years ago I purchased a brand new Husqvarna snow blower to replace an old Ariens I had bought used that was probably from the 1970's. The first year I used the Husqvarna it worked fine, but we didn't get a lot of snow. The following winter it got more use, but there was one time the corkscrew shaped auger hit some ice & wrapped itself around the shaft. I couldn't believe what I was looking at, but that's what happened. The shear pin didn't shear & was stronger than the flimsy POS auger.

It was just out of warranty, but the dealer got Husqvarna to make good on it so I was content. What I wasn't content with, was that they only replaced the damaged auger (with a much beefier one) & not the other one which was also flimsy. I didn't make a big deal out of it at the time because I needed the damn thing & didn't want to be without the snow blower in case there was another storm. I have a long driveway & large turnaround area that I need to keep clear & way too much to shovel.

So the second auger held up until this winter, when it too, wrapped itself around the shaft to sacrifice itself in hopes of saving the $1.19 shear pin from being destroyed. I pried the thing back into a usable shape, & as soon as I think the snow storms are done, I'll try to badger the dealer into getting this one replaced too. I won't hold my breath since it's now a lot further out of warranty, but it can't hurt.

Curious, anyone ever have this kind of crap happen?   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

learical1

Bruce

resq302

The Honda HS55 snowblower with track drive that I inherited from my grandmother when she passed is was made around 1985-1987 according to the serial number.  I too, had to straighten out the one auger part however, the sheer pin finally snapped when I saw it was loose and tried to tighten it this year.  Granted, the steel augers are pretty thick metal but still the pin should have sheered.  Same in your case Bob.  I would call up Husqvarna and complain.  Maybe they will send you another one.  Tell them that their sheer pin did not fail causing damage to the rest of the unit.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

Quote from: learical1 on February 03, 2011, 04:37:37 PM
Snowblowers have augers? :shruggy:

Yes, its the spiral shaped thing that breaks up and pulls in the snow to be thrown out the chute.  (the chute is the thing that is curved where the snow exits)   :nana:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Richard Cranium

Q: Why was Frosty The Snowman smiling?
A: He heard the snowblower was coming to town.
I am Dr. Remulac

694spdRT

Here is my snowblower setup. Built in 1986 and the auger is still going strong. It has 18hp, 48" cut, and went through drifts taller than the hood yesterday.  :2thumbs:

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

daves68

Should have kept the Ariens- Best snow removal equipment around.

Old Moparz

Quote from: daves68 on February 03, 2011, 05:08:15 PM
Should have kept the Ariens- Best snow removal equipment around.

I agree, it was a better machine than the Husqvarna I have now. It still ran great when I gave it to a friend for parts, but I bought it used for $75 & didn't want to dump a lot of money into it. I did something stupid with it & learned a lesson. I had broken a shear pin & didn't have another one, so I used a regular bolt to finish up & planned to change it before the next storm. Well, I forgot & the snowblower ate a brick that was in the driveway that had been used as a wheel chock behind a trailer I had sold. The main shaft inside broke & the part alone was around $275 to buy. I couldn't see investing more into a 30+ year old machine.
               Bob                

bull

So those in the south need not read this? Didn't Atlanta get like 9 inches of snow recently?

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on February 03, 2011, 08:22:10 PM
So those in the south need not read this? Didn't Atlanta get like 9 inches of snow recently?

:smilielol:

True, but it melted before lunchtime, didn't it?
               Bob                

LaOtto70Charger

I had the gear wear out on my Ariens.  It's and 1980 and I inherited it from my grandparents.  Turns out the wrong shear pins where used and the shear joint was at the wrong spot in the auger.  That stripped out the gear in the gearbox.  I did the gear change out though and its been running fine for three years now.

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 03, 2011, 08:24:22 PM

Actually, no, it didn't. And now Texas and Oklahoma are getting it. The Superbowl contendors are feeling right at home down there in Dallas.

694spdRT

Quote from: bull on February 03, 2011, 09:44:21 PM

Actually, no, it didn't. And now Texas and Oklahoma are getting it. The Superbowl contendors are feeling right at home down there in Dallas.

If you own a snowblower down there I bet you are everybody's best friend this week.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

vancamp

we had 8 inches in south arkansas a few weeks ago and calling for more tommorow freezing weather all the way to the florida state line

PocketThunder

I think they brought the Green Bay weather with them.   However it was nice and cozy inside the boom boom room!

Khyron, I got dibbs on the brunette at 1 o'clock.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 03, 2011, 10:54:37 PM

I think they brought the Green Bay weather with them.   However it was nice and cozy inside the boom boom room!

Khyron, I got dibbs on the brunette at 1 o'clock.

I was wondering where the Steel Curtain ended up.  :smilielol:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

400/6/PAC

skip68

Since the economy is so bad out here, I am looking for work out your way Bob.  I will come out there and blow your snow for the winter.  I need a round trip bus ticket, at least 1 hot meal per day, a bed and $.79 per hour worked.  I don't have any proof of my work, but once I blow your snow you will be happy.  Let me know because I got a guy in Maine that will pay me $.89 per hour.  Chuck...
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Old Moparz

Quote from: skip68 on February 04, 2011, 09:49:05 AM
Since the economy is so bad out here, I am looking for work out your way Bob.  I will come out there and blow your snow for the winter.  I need a round trip bus ticket, at least 1 hot meal per day, a bed and $.79 per hour worked.  I don't have any proof of my work, but once I blow your snow you will be happy.  Let me know because I got a guy in Maine that will pay me $.89 per hour.  Chuck...

Can you swap out bent augers on snow blowers, too?  :lol:
               Bob                

skip68

What's an auger ??????  Is it that thing that hooks to the other thing ?   Sounds like a video game to me.  I can give it a shot but I won't kiss on the lips.  NO SIR...
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Old Moparz

Quote from: skip68 on February 04, 2011, 11:20:57 AM
What's an auger ??????  Is it that thing that hooks to the other thing ?   Sounds like a video game to me.  I can give it a shot but I won't kiss on the lips.  NO SIR...

Bob                

Bobs69

Quote from: skip68 on February 04, 2011, 11:20:57 AM
What's an auger ??????  Is it that thing that hooks to the other thing ?   Sounds like a video game to me.  I can give it a shot but I won't kiss on the lips.  NO SIR...

hahaha.  I had bought a used blower from a co-worker, the motor ran good and still does on another body.  The damed sheer pins refused to break, I bent the auger once, possibly twice.  I broke the f'ing gear box twice.  If I had of known how easy it was to take apart I would have fixed it myself and would have replaced more parts and probably did a better job then the shop.    Broke the aluminum casing around the worm gear every time.  It was a 2 piece and had grease in it but no plug to add oil.  I also noticed that some models had a support bar from the box to the frame for support.  Not mine. 

So is that aluminum casing broke and not holding things together?  The gear inside is only made of brass.  I was once told you've got to get an OLD MACHINE if you want one that is steal. 

The first time I broke mine I ran a 2X4 thru it.  I couldn't very well be angry since I left it there and didn't clean up.  But the second time I cursed.

Anyhow if you are still reading I solved this problem by buying a SIMPLICITY Pro series blower.  It has angle iron for handle bars and is just built heavy.  AND IT HAS A CAST IRON GEAR BOX!   Strangely enough I think it still has a brass worm gear, I think.  But the aluminun halfs were pricey.  I bet the old ARIENS had the tuff gear box too. 
Mine has hand warmers and a discharge chute that is operated by the press of a button.   I like the idea of the Honda with the tracks, but I seen one at the dealer and it had an aluminum gear box.  Maybe I'm putting to much importance on the cast iron box???????

Bobs69

http://www.priceit.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Simplicity-Snowblower-1.jpg

I use to be pre-occupied with building one with a 2cycle motorcyle engine on it.  Something that would make the neighbours say what the hell is he doing!

But check this baby out.    http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/12/21/v8-engine-snowblower/

Old Moparz

Quote from: Bobs69 on February 08, 2011, 06:46:09 AM
The first time I broke mine I ran a 2X4 thru it.  I couldn't very well be angry since I left it there and didn't clean up.  But the second time I cursed.

Anyhow if you are still reading I solved this problem by buying a SIMPLICITY Pro series blower.  It has angle iron for handle bars and is just built heavy.  AND IT HAS A CAST IRON GEAR BOX!   Strangely enough I think it still has a brass worm gear, I think.  But the aluminun halfs were pricey.  I bet the old ARIENS had the tuff gear box too. 
Mine has hand warmers and a discharge chute that is operated by the press of a button.   I like the idea of the Honda with the tracks, but I seen one at the dealer and it had an aluminum gear box.  Maybe I'm putting to much importance on the cast iron box???????

You ran a 2x4 through it? Now I don't feel so bad about the brick that mine ate.  :smilielol:

In hindsight, I probably should've kept the old Ariens & fixed it, but to put what would have been around $400 parts & labor into a $75 machine didn't make sense at the time. Doing it myself wasn't very appealing either, I had never taken one apart & would have been doing so in an unheated garage cursing the whole time.   :lol:

We aren't supposed to get hit with any big storms so I think I'll be taking it in this week to see if Husqvarna will make good on it.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

Bobs69

Well a chunk of 2X4.  Was using a bunch as kindling and was too slow and lazy about picking them up.  Boy did I ever swear the second time!