News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My (Now Not So) fairwell post

Started by dreamcatcher, February 07, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

I had a bad Monday  :'(  today.I took my (finished) superbird clone to the exhaust shop this morning.I started it to warm up a bit while I unhooked the chains.I unhooked me last chain in the front of the car and was under the front taking the chain off the K-member when the car somehow went into reverse.It took off with me in tow.It crashed backwards into a building.The whole back of the car is totaled out.Over the next few weeks I will be selling off all the salvageable parts to this car.I will list them on this web site before offering them else where.Everything from a compleated nose to front fenders to motor and transmission as well as a full Legendary interior complete with seats.
Thanks
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

ACUDANUT

Damn, glad your okay... How fast was the car going in reverse that it ruined the entire back half ?

hemi68charger

Man.. What a bummer..............   :'(
I'm sorry for your accident. Something like that could definitely make someone wonder if it's all worth it. I hope you're ok physically. I know you have to be an emotional wreak because of today's events..........

Best regards and wishes in whatever you may do.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

montana bird

Crap!  I am glad you are alive, it beats the alternative. Your car was looking so cool!  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

dreamcatcher

It was still on high idle..about 15 to 20 MPH I would say.It went about 60 to 70 feet before it hit.I had just managed to get to my feet and try to get free from the chain wrapped around my hand when it hit the building throwing me into the front of the car.I have two swelled up bloody knees a sore shoulder and a shinned up elbow...other than being very sore I am fine.Problem is the car was to get exhaust so it could be appraised...so you guessed it...NO INSURANCE.My insurance company wouldn't insure it to value with out an appraisal.So that being said I have no car and a building to repair...how is that for a bad day?
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

ACUDANUT

You and I are only Human.  Shit happens. Life can suck. Stay strong. It could always have been worse... You or a innocent person or child could have lost their life.  When life throws you lemons....make lemonade.

nascarxx29

Sorry to hear that glad your ok
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

wow! i'm glad your ok . don't make any decisions rite now about the car . just try to relax your mind and be glad your  alive and didn't hurt anyone :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wow unbelievable!  Glad you are OK though....the car can be replaced. Any chance of getting a donor car to swap your parts to?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

Very, Very Sorry!!!!!!  :P I had a gal. run into mine the first day I had it back on the road, took two years to recover from that one. So I know.  :P

THE CHARGER PUNK

wow that fucking sucks  :'( I'd seriously question if there is some god sometimes , I feel for ya bro , after all this bullshit you defs got good karma comin back to you bro , r.i.p. What was a killer lookin superbird!!  God I loved the colour and rims :2thumbs:

RTDaddy

Glad you are OK.  Might want to exercise a "cooling off" period before you really decide to get rid of the car.  I know how much work goes into one.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

nascarxx29

My old car 19K mile 6 pack 4 speed RM23VOA179697 80s-insurance payment for my loss consisted of getting the car back for $500.00.I was done with these type cars at that time aswell when that happened

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

very sorry , so glad you are ok 

I have lots of bad luck but man I feel for you .   Set it aside and dont do any thing rash right away .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dreamcatcher

Nascar...that is pretty much what mine looks like now...back window isn't broke but it hit a door jamb made of cement block at an angle right in the rear center just like that one....I figure I am out about 50K on the deal....My biggest problem now is the exhaust peoples building...I think because of the way it happened I am going to have to pay for it...as far as the car goes I had collected the parts and money while I was working...I was forced into retirement and just wont have the cash now to even try again.I did body engine and paint myself...I am OK doing this when I have a good straight piece to work with....but I am sure not this good..I will post pictures later on...Right now I cant even walk..I thank everyone here for the well wishes....as far as the comment on GOD...well even HE has to have a hobby...I just seem to be it...Probably said...watch this shit...Thanks again everyone

68neverlate

I really feel for you... that sucks big time!   :'(

Unfortunately, I can totally see this happening... I'm not very happy about the feel between park and reverse in my 727 auto (not sure if that's what is in your car... sorry still learning this stuff).  It feels like the shifter could almost vibrate out of park and into reverse... makes me nervous.       

Take some time before making any decisions about the car... sorry to hear DC.   

4cruzin

Unbelievable!   :'(  That is one sad story.   :rotz:   I sure hope you feel better soon.   :-\
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

dreamcatcher

Yes it was a 727 floor shift auto...funny thing is (not really anything funny) I had set the parking brake..I am a real stikler about that...but those old style rear brakes never held very well in reverse...only forward...It does make one think...how many times do we start a car on a cold morning and then get back out of it?My sister lost her little boy 25 years ago from a 77 ford LTD that was sitting in her drive way NOT running...it slipped out of park rolled over him and killed him.I do know ford did have issues with that back then.I did not know a mopar might do the same thing.

BigBlockSam

i had an 85 ford van . the factory sent me a letter with a sticker to put on the dash . to remind you to make sure you put the shifter all the way into park . that's how they fixed it . they sent me a sticker
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Sorry to hear about this. I know it has to be devastating. I agree with holding onto the car. It's a knee jerk reaction to just give up and get the whole thing out of your mind. But, I think you're mindset will change after a while. Don't admit defeat. After all, you're a wingcar guy or you never would have started the project to begin with.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

1BAD68

Total Bummer!
I had that happen to my 68 while tuning the carb.
Stupid console automatic shifter slipped into reverse, fortunately it only went about 4 feet and slammed into my workbench and just bent the quarter extension.
It was a warning as I never run the engine with the front of the car pointing out the garage except for that one time.
After that I immediately installed a Hurst V-Matic so there is no way it could slip out of gear again.
So sorry for your loss.

moparstuart

if you get down the road and decide to try and fix it ,  I have an extra deck lid , and taillamp and maybe some other stuff you can have , I will donate to the cause
:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  still in shock
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

twodko

I'm very happy to know you are OK although sore and kinda despondant. I would be too.
The membership offers sage advice here, please don't do anything right now except take care of yourself.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

dreamcatcher

Stuart...car people are the GREATEST people in the world and you at the top...many thanks...I will post pictures maybe tomorrow...I just don't know if I could tackle this with my skills or not...looks pretty bad...I think it might have pulled the frame inward ...it is kind of  a big V in the back...tail lights are OK...the main hit was tail light panel ,bumper trunk is toast and it moved both rear quarters down in the back and up in the front...horizontal part of the wing busted up too...I seen some damage just below the window plug like it separated...Not sure ...but hey I thank you so very much.

DC_1

Aw, no!......that car was coming along nicely! I remember seeing the pics you posted in another thread. Take some time to regroup. I know if I had my shop still (and I wasn't 1000 miles away) I'd offer my frame machine to help straighten her out. Assuming it is as bent as you indicate. Take some detailed pics. Maybe some around here can offer assistance in getting this project back on track for you with minimal financial impact. Lots of great guys around here!

Hey Dan Woods, you out there?.....is CCR looking for a project Superbird!?