News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My (Now Not So) fairwell post

Started by dreamcatcher, February 07, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

Oh man. I don't know what to say. I know it's very bad but it could have been much worse. I wish there was something I could do... :icon_smile_dissapprove:

billssuperbird

charge-it

That is a sad story to read. The most important thing is that your still alive and able to type on your keyboard to tell us about it. While I can clearly see you are devestated about your car, don't over react and throw in the towel. Put the car away while you heal up. Once healed, you may decide to repair it. I don't know you personally but as a fellow Mopar enthusiast I can offer some help. If you do decide to fix it, I have a used 1970 B body Plymouth tailpanel that was removed from a 70 Road Runner many years ago. That panel is yours should you need it, just PM me here when the time comes. Together we all can make a difference and help you get your dream back into shape with either parts or labor.  :angel:
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

dreamcatcher

:cheers: :cheers: People I am truly overwhelmed with this group.I don't think I can save it but I will look it over a little later on.I have been a car nut my whole life and have ALWAYS said car people are the best people on earth...This group is above and beyond that and more.Thank you for the more than generous offers seems to fall short.  :2thumbs:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

A383Wing

Quote from: bobs66440 on February 07, 2011, 06:13:28 PM
Oh man. I don't know what to say. I know it's very bad but it could have been much worse. I wish there was something I could do... :icon_smile_dissapprove:

my thought exactly....

Bryan

jb666

Should you decide to rebuild, I have a pair of tail lights I will donate to the cause.

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. Don't let this get you down.. You could have been on the other end of the car and met the same fate as the other person you spoke about.

My offer stands if you decide to fix it  :cheers:

Cooter

Dreamcatcher, Don't know you, but you have some good in this deal. You have taught folks here to ALWAYS set the e-brake when idling/warming up their rides. See? You have folks already helping you out with parts...THIS is what sets car guys apart from the others...

I don't have access to very many 1970 Plymouth Satellite/RR parts, but I'm almost positive there's enough people here who can get together to help you out...You know I'd help you out...I hate to see anybody's dream get crushed this close to completion...I just wish I had some Plymouth stuff to offer...All My stuff is Charger..

I know the first "knee jerk" (No punn intended, sorry) is to sell it off and give up, but remember, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

C'mon man, You have the tech. to rebuild it, make it better, faster, stronger..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

Wow, very sorry to hear that this happened.  First and foremost, glad you are ok and not that banged up.  Cars can be repaired or replaced.  Who knows, if you bring that to a body shop, they might be able to pull and straighten out a lot of it since our cars are made from "real steel" vs. the cars built now a days.  Shame I don't have any plymouth parts.  I only have spare stuff for my charger and only some things like interior, suspension, and such swap over, other wise they would be yours!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mopar John

dreamcatcher,
I am also glad that you are still around to tell the story! Keep the car and see what help and parts are out there!
I personally have had three instances with run away cars! The first was when I was about 19 and had just crawled out from under my 1969 Dodge Dart from changing a clutch. It rolled forward off the front blocks and smashed through a garage door@$%^&**(! The second was about a year later with my 1966 Barracuda. It didn't start every once in a while and I would open the hood and jumper the starter solinoid with a screw driver! One day I did this and had left the manual transmission in gear! It started and took off without me@#$%^&(! Luckily I had left the drivers door open and stopped it before it hit anything! The last runaway car was my 1976 Volare Road Runner about this time of the year in 1980. I had raised my fiberglass garage door and pulled it out and left it running in fast idle. I got out to lower the garage door and heard some snow crunching?? I turned around and it was the Volare backing up quite fast@$((_!! I threw the garage door back up and got to the side! It bent the drivers door all the way around and it stopped the Volare when it wedged between the front fender and garage door frame! It mashed the door, fender and broke the glass out of the door! It could have been much worse because my house was built into the side of a hill and if it would have went out the back wall it would have been about 25 feet off the ground when it went out!!!
Mopar John

Brads70

Sheesh I feel horrible for ya. I'm sooo sorry to hear this, all of our worst nighmare for sure! :'(

Charger-Bodie

If you can get it to NE Iowa, I will pull it on the frame machine for a VERY minimal fee.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Bobs69

Keep the car.  If you THINK it's that far gone.  I'll stop here and say that I haven't the experience either, for that kind of body work or life experience.

If you think it's a lost cause let it sit, let people stop and visit and bullshit about wanting to buy it from you.  If someone was serious enough and did the unthinkable of offering something you couldn't refuse, get rid of it.

If not, just hearing the dreams of other people who will look at that car with awe because they've never seen one up close remind you of what got you started.  And my main point, if it's a lost cause, what the hell START CUTTING!  Suprise yourself, do the best you can.  Again I'll stress that I'd be losing sleep and probably curse and swear till I exhausted myself into tears  but anyhow.

Trailer it to a frame shop to straighten things out, take it home and put the air hammer or whatever to it.  You're retired from what?  Is this something that you possibly dreamt of doing?  Heavy duty body work that is.

Aero426

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 07, 2011, 09:43:32 PM
If you can get it to NE Iowa, I will pull it on the frame machine for a VERY minimal fee.

What a great offer !     Please don't make a rash decision to part the car out.   It may look bad, but at the end of the day, it's only metal.   It can be fixed.

DC_1

I'm really curious to see how bad it is. I know it must be disappointing to be so close to having it complete and to have something like this happen, but many on here have worked with far bigger problems (and less car) than bent sheet metal. It is definitly a set back but don't give up now! You could be surprised at how quickly you may be able to get it repaired once you jump into it.

chargerkid01

A: Glad you are ok. B: Wish I could help, so I will keep my eyes open for parts!! Hang in there don't let your dream go (coming from the guy thinking about getting rid of his)

oldcarnut

Echoing everyone else glad to hear your ok.  I went and reread your build post and can't begin to imagine the despair you must be feeling.  Here is a quote from you during your build "I get up set but NEVER throw in the towel". As others have said too, hold those impulse thoughts on parting it.  Take some time to heal the body and mind up some and come back with a clearer outlook later.  Maybe the building damage is covered by the building insurance company as when auto accidents occur and the faulted driver has no insurance so the uninsured coverage kicks in.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
David

djcarguy

:angel:  you may not believe it now but ya had a angel watching out for you. you could of been killed or busted up for life,or someone else.   hitting in the middle of back was possibley the best to absorb the impact with less frame damage and not  transfer of damage farther up as to door openings.  please take some time to heal and make peace with your wife ,surprized she did not kill ya when she found out you were alive,lol.  if ya part it dont think you will recover your investment, so fix or sell to be fixed..  sorry ta hear ,read build ,was a great looking car and can be again. had a 78 trans am roll off car trailer late one night and drag me 40 feet in gravel till it hit and fence.it ran over my arm and tore me up in the gravel. cars are like guns they go off by accident alot and with sereus  damage.take time to heal and get over the shock of this and all the best in the future. take it to IHOT daytona and get it pulled back into shape and save this pretty wing car. :2thumbs: :angel:

Topher

I share the same sentiment as the rest of the guys in here about your accident. I also have some near collision stories of cars/trucks running and nearly killing me a time or 4. Not fun at all. Take a few weeks to rest and clear your thoughts and don't even look at the car. You may be able to find someone in your area(I don't know where you are) that may be able to help you out. Heck if you're close enough to me I can find someone to help. Sorry I don't have any parts though.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

dreamcatcher

Well the press sure dont take long to react but the reporter needs spelling lessons (spelled my name wrong)Anyway I will post close up pictures this evening.But here is the jist of it all...http://www.ncnewspress.com/topstories/x188781023/Restored-Plymouth-Roadrunner-crashes-into-NC-building
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

dreamcatcher

I will refer to this quote from djcarguy above (please take some time to heal and make peace with your wife ,surprized she did not kill ya when she found out you were alive) My loving wife is almost a bigger car nut than I am.Here is a quote from her in an email to me from her work this morning (I married a man who will, in his own time, pick up the pieces and get going again...  I'm going to give you as much time as you need (as long as it's not over a day or two cause I'm kind of like that)...  and we'll keep moving in the direction we were going in because that's what we want to do.. ) So sweet of her to give me A DAY OR TWO!  :smilielol:

Piston_Freddy

Looks repairable to me. I bet the car wanted to commit suicide because those horrible rims under it.
Max rim size:15"

ACUDANUT

dreamcatcher

Well some people dont care if their car is 3/4 bondo...this WAS a rust free bondo free straight car..trunk pan is bowed up 6 inches ..both quarters have several bent places the trunk is touching the back glass...the fuel tank is about 10 inches forward the doors dont open and shut on either side with out great effort...and the frame is pulled inward towards the fuel tank...that is about all I could see from first glance...and to top that off the engine wont run now either...I hope to look it over today before really making the call to cut the car up and sell off the parts.

dreamcatcher

My wife and I have called the car The New Adventures Of Old Christine! She said the car is Christine reinCARnated  :hah:

1BAD68

I thought it would look worse but its still a bummer.