News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?..

Started by Brock Samson, February 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok: cast your votes.

Live and Breath DOH!!!! YEE HAWW!!
Love the show that's why I'm here.
They're OK I guess, to each their own.
Like them somewhat but don't see the fuss.
Think the DOH is pretty dumb.

kamkuda

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 28, 2011, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: kamkuda on March 28, 2011, 06:36:24 AM
Quote from: The70RT on March 27, 2011, 07:57:00 PM
Too nice of a car for a general lee  :eyes:

Its a Perfect car for a general Lee  :icon_smile_cool:

Oh NO....not another GL ! :stirthepot:

What's next...a 5.7 hemi under the hood  :lol:

After seeing some of Franks paint/body skillz i'm confident that this will be a stunning resto-mod  :coolgleamA:

Ron

<Maybe a 6.1  Kevin has one for sale.  It would be sweet LOL.  Or I have a 350 in a camaro right behind the shop.  I will help Frank fit it in there

WB General Lee

Here is another real movie General Lee. That is George Barris pictured next to it.  I think its the #5 car.

Cooter

What I can't believe nobody's ranting about is the white letter tires on a GL??? The GL didn't have white letter tires? WTF?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JT01

WB General Lee

Both of my car have white letter tires

Cooter

Quote from: JT01 on April 03, 2011, 01:32:41 PM
The movie cars had white letters.

IMO, I don't consider the "Abortion" of a movie anything even remotely in common with the "Real" DOH....

The "Real" General Lees didn't have white letter tires..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

WB General Lee

I never heard anyone make a big deal about what kind of tire was used on a General Lee. Noone cares or even thinks about it. Warner Brothers built all the General Lees TV and Movie and they decided to use a white letter tire to run on the General Lees. They are a multi billion dollar operation. They didn't get to where they are by making mistakes.

JT01

Quote from: Cooter on April 04, 2011, 05:38:24 AM
Quote from: JT01 on April 03, 2011, 01:32:41 PM
The movie cars had white letters.

IMO, I don't consider the "Abortion" of a movie anything even remotely in common with the "Real" DOH....

The "Real" General Lees didn't have white letter tires..
I do agree with u on that.

greenpigs

Tires are part of the package & if building a tribute GL blackwalls are the only choice. The RWL look out of place as they are not period correct. When your copying something and only have a few things separating it between a regular Charger & GL the little things mean even more.
   The movies don't count with me either, but if I paid some large coin for one I guess it would. :stirthepot:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

WB General Lee

If you are one of the 17 or so people in the world to have a TV show GL then you leave the tires as blackwall but if you are one of the 8 or so to have a Movie General Lee them you keep it with the original white letter look.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

MaximRecoil

Quote from: WB General Lee on April 03, 2011, 01:51:54 PM
Both of my car have white letter tires

Quote from: WB General Lee on April 04, 2011, 09:57:09 AM
If you are one of the 17 or so people in the world to have a TV show GL then you leave the tires as blackwall but if you are one of the 8 or so to have a Movie General Lee them you keep it with the original white letter look.

Is the pictured car a movie General Lee?

WB General Lee

Yes a Movie car along with this one. They came with these tires so why would you change them and spend money for nothing.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: WB General Lee on April 04, 2011, 04:34:09 PM
Yes a Movie car along with this one. They came with these tires so why would you change them and spend money for nothing.

To get blackwalls you just flip them around; doesn't cost anything (aside from mounting and balancing fees if you don't do it yourself). That's how it was done on the series when necessary.

The reason I asked if it was a movie General Lee is because the wheels on it are not ones that were used in the movie. What wheels did it come with?

WB General Lee

The first car pictured has brand new wheels on it because it was the car that was crushed between two farm vehicles on film and the wheels were trashed and scuffed. The tires are the same but have knife like marks in them so I will probabally have to buy new. The tires hold air because there are tubes in there.

They must have changed the pushbar on the movie cars as they don't extend under the front valance.

Mike DC

The movie car pushbars were copied from the pushbars on WB's existing General Lees (left from the 1990s DOH reunion TV specials).  

The 1990s reunion cars were hastily done versions of the later TV series cars.  They were built back before the details of the GL had been the subject of much scrutiny.  One of them was actually a TV-series survivor but it had already lost its original GL uniform once by the 1990s.